Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Focus on the Quality of Food, December 31, 2004
This review is from: Eat Fat, Lose Fat: Lose Weight And Feel Great With The Delicious, Science-based Coconut Diet (Hardcover)
I serve as a chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation, and as such have been following the Nourishing Traditions principles outlined in Sally's book for some time. I had not been consuming coconut oil however, nor consistently limiting my meals to three a day. I wasn't quite sure how to integrate coconut into my diet on a daily basis. The book offers many recipes - including simply adding coconut oil to a smoothie! After an initial couple of days having difficulty consuming the recommended 1 T. of coconut oil melted in warm water or herbal tea 20 minutes before each meal, I am now drinking it easily and find that my appetite is definitely surpressed!

I found the book to be very well written and compelling!

What I most appreciate about Sally and Mary's plan is the great importance they place on the QUALITY of the food consumed. Namely organic, sustainably produced, natural, whole foods. Animal protein from pasture raised animals who are treated humanely. Real, raw (as opposed to pasteurized) milk products. Instead of the artificially sweetened diet sodas which are typically recommended on other diets, this plan recommends kombucha, beet kvass, kefir and real ginger ale. It includes enzyme rich foods such as sauerkraut, mineral rich bone broths and soups ... and traditional superfoods such as cod liver oil. There are many generations of nutritional wisdom in this book - it is not merely the latest fad approach to health, wholeness and weight loss.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2007 8:04:38 PM PDT
Gigi says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2007 3:41:45 PM PDT
R. Jimenez says:
Gina, you're right, there is a reason raw milk is outlawed. For raw milk to be safe the cows must be healthy; fed their natural diet (grass) and be treated humanely (not left up to their udders in their own feces). That's not something that factory farms want to deal with so their milk must be pasturized to kill off the excess amount of dangerous bacteria that's introduced to the milk through puss in infected udders and fecal matter. Raw milk is full of beneficial bacteria that kill off the bad bacteria under normal circumstances. Pasturization also preserves the milk by killing all bacteria, good and bad, and thereby preventing it from souring as it would naturally do s it lasts much longer on the store shelves, for months if ultrapasturized, and factory farms don't lose as much product. You, however, get to enjoy a dead food lacking the enzymes that would normally help with digestion (lactose intolerance, anyone?), with proteins that have been altered and calcium and other minerals that are now poorly absorbed (contrary to the dairy marketers, pasturized/homogenized dairy products are NOT a good source of bioavailable calcium).

Raw milk is illegal where I live, too. However I've found a few different people/places that I can get it, and for cheaper than milk in the store. I hope it stays illegal because for those farmers I know who are trying to make raw milk cheese, which is legal, the hassles from the USDA are unreal. Legalization would be the best way to put an end to most raw milk consumption.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007 7:33:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2007 9:15:14 PM PST
Elixa says:
R, do you know where I can get raw milk in California after today? Cal Governator signed a bill that outlaws raw milk products, due to his immense apparent knowledge of raw foods and steroids (just kidding about the raw foods). So as the first day of 2007, I will not be able to buy raw milk and just had discovered its properties and have been trying it out. So frustrating. I would like more choices in foods including how they are processed, which is extremely important (to find fresh organic free range food) to me and some of my friends, to the point where we are willing to pay more. I would like to find raw milk in zip 92081, if anyone has suggestions, I understand that it is "possible" although the farms say it isn't, to provide raw milk under this bill's requirements? Thanks.... Happy new year to everyone, good health!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 1:54:11 PM PDT
CookAMH says:
E. Klune, Check www.realmilk.com for sources near you of raw milk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 9:25:11 PM PST
Oh my God.
i can not believe it, but R_Jiminez you just confirmed something for me that my father have been telling me for weeks.
I am a total low-fat low-cal kinda girl, i do weight watchers, lost tons of weight and still losing.
BUT i still eat some processed foods, dark chocolate,meat,lots of sweets, and other stuff i truly don't need. My dad told me that organic whole non processed foods are best and that all that stuff can lead to many troubles that most Americans know very little about.
I thank you yet again for mentioning how animal meats are made,
this disgusts me so much the way these poor animals are treated and what disgusts me even more is all the perservatives that are put in it that i think i may not eat meat again.
i have a big question..Do you have any tips for a newbie like me?
any good sound advice?
any tips besides buying Eat Fat

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 1:04:18 PM PDT
On ever increasing doses of ACE inhibitors and beta blockers, my BP didn't go down for 2 years after my heart attack. I started on raw milk and it went down immediately, and continues to stay down even without the meds.

I drink raw milk several times a week. I eat pudding made from it almost every day. I mix up a gallon of it with cocoa, vanilla and stevia every week for my husband. And I make yogurt from it twice a month.

I'm only one state over from you... in PA, I get raw milk DELIVERED to my home.

Yes, many states have banned it... even entire countries have banned it, like Canada. Doesn't mean those of us who CAN benefit from it shouldn't have access to both the milk and information about it.

Anyways, this book, while incorporating raw milk in the diet, isn't about raw milk. You could do the diet without raw milk. You'd have a hard time doing it without coconut though - coconut oil, coconut milk (which can replace raw milk in most recipes) and shredded coconut.

Far as I know, coconut is legal everywhere, even in Ohio.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:47:59 AM PDT
richard says:
google''keeping a family cow'' check out discussion forum.another book ''the untold story of milk''

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 10:13:22 AM PST
M. Yoder says:
If you make pudding and yogurt with it, it isn't raw anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2014 11:29:08 AM PST
Elixa says:
Thank you! I have been happily drinking raw milk for several years here in California. Can't say it did a thing for my sky high hypertension but the kefir I make and drink daily has cured my reflux and IBS.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›