3.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Still has Work to Do, May 12, 2011
This review is from: Samsung EC-SH100 Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 14 MP, 5x Optical Zoom and Touchscreen (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this camera and used it extensively on a two week trip to Europe. Overall I am happy with it, it took great pictures and was pretty easy to use.

I LOVE the fact that you can charge the battery without taking it out of the camera (Like the way you charge a cell phone). No need for a separate charger, so one less piece of gear to lug around. The benefit of this also means you can charge it on an as-needed basis (I charged it through the power outlet in the rental car I was driving). This was the key feature that drove my purchase decision, and its strange that it doesn't get mentioned much in the marketing literature since it's a major advantage over the competition.

The touch screen interface is a disappointment though. If you are used to a smart phone type touch screen then this screen will seem slow and clunky. It feels more like a PDA from 2004 than a smart phone from 2011. Also, putting all the controls on the touch screen makes for some usability issues. I would prefer to see physical buttons for commonly used operations like turning the flash on and off. A camera is a dedicated device so should be optimized for common photography use cases.

The wireless connectivity was pretty cool, but again suffered usability issues. Connecting to wireless networks was a pain with the clunky touch screen. This is a long way from an iPhone or Android OS. Also, there doesn't seem to be any control over the name of the album or the subject of the facebook post. The wireless connectivity is is a very cool idea, but it still has some way to go before being truly compelling.

At the end of the day I think my money was well spent. Samsung is on to a good thing and I hope they continue evolving this product line.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2012 4:43:07 PM PST
P. Qiu says:
This review is well written. I totally agree with your comments after I bought it. I regret not reading it before I ordered. Even though I might still buy it because of the price and the limited selection in WiFi camera, but I would not have such a high expectation as they describe it on Samsung's website.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:15:11 PM PDT
Fred Clancey says:
very informative, thank you
looking forward to their 2nd generation efforts

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 6:52:03 PM PDT
Austin Mejia says:
What kind of memory card?

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 5:44:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 22, 2012 10:08:54 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 8:54:26 PM PDT
Austin Mejia says:
thats a little harsh reojea you should keep that comment to yourself i think he wrote a good review

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 5:49:27 PM PDT
Geoff says:
So you're happy with the camera and your money was well spent? Then why only 3 stars? That's like a "D" on a school grading scale.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:27:52 AM PST
Spot on review. I'm actually selling mine because I can't get over the clunkiness of the screen and stylus. My husband bought it for me before we spent a month in Asia and it ended up in my bag for the trip due to frustration with both the stylus screen and the uploading to Internet. It's a good camera, but by the time I messed around with the settings, the photo moment was gone. The photo quality was excellent, but I prefer a fast photo to a staged photo, and the amount of time it took to take a photo was often exasperating. I eventually gave up through Asia and let my husband photograph with his camera and I used my iPhone. I recently purchased a simple Cannon PC1730 for travel with a wireless card that works perfectly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›