Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW of the new SONY SLT-A77|SONY 16-50 2.8 LENS, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Translucent Mirror Digital SLR Camera - Body only (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
Update 4-23-14
Haven't updated in a while so here we go!
We are now on bodies number 15 and 16 of these fabulous cameras. We shoot a lot of photos so we change out bodies every 3-4 months so we don't run the shutter count too high and ruin the resale. We shoot 250,000-300,000 photos a year currently. Sony has fixed the bug that made me have to keep rebooting my first camera, as a matter of fact we've had zero camera problems since the first 3-4 bodies. We believe that this is the perfect camera for what we do and will continue to use them until they are no longer available. After trying several point and shoot zoom cameras we also settled in on a Sony HX-50. It is an excellent 24-1200MM 20MP camera with excellent video. I use ours for all of our video needs exclusively :D

UPDATE 12-11-11
Last week we put our 2 SONY SLT-A77s through the ultimate test.

We were the official photographers on the Rock Legends Cruise and shot over 9,000 excellent photos over 3 days. I had to only reboot my A77 3 times but my wife did not have to reboot hers at all.

We shot about 65% of the concert photos with no flash in low natural stage light and got amazing results with very little ISO noise problems.

We also shot our 1st and 2nd rock videos with the A77 and were amazed at the results. I was set up about 15 feet from the main PA system right stack and the sound was not blown out even though I only used the on-board microphone. The stereo sound is crystal clear and other than some faint wind that was picked up the audio was perfect!

We've received hundreds of compliments on our concert photos and many are from Canon and Nikon users :D They have already been published on several online rock magazines and there are a lot more to come :D

ORIGINAL POST:
We were going to preorder one of these SONY A77s here on Amazon but my wife and I don't have enough patience ... plus we didn't want to risk the initial shipment from Sony being sold out before it arrives in the US... so we ordered 1 from a Hong Kong E seller Sunday night and received it this morning (Wednesday). (only $1329 delivered!)Wooohooo!

It's quite a bit bigger (than our A55s) but it's not too big for my wife's normal sized female hands. It's a lot heavier (than our A55s) but not too heavy for her to use(she's our top WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER). She's been shooting 5 straight hours with it now with 3 different lenses.

The new SONY A77 looks absolutely awesome! Sony has put all the buttons for everything nicely placed right on the body. There is very little need to go to the menu. The manual seems very comprehensive and since we already had 3 A55s it was very easy for us to breeze through and just highlight the new stuff.

As far as photo quality if you are upgrading from an A55 we didn't expect too much more than the size/definition you gain with a 50% increase in MPs. We were wrong, the photos are phenomenal! If you are upgrading from another camera brand you will be stunned! My recommendation to all you Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, and Fuji users... If you are thinking about upgrading your outfit, DO IT! Sell everything you have and grab one of these revolutionary new cameras and some legendary MINOLTA LENSES, or the SONY 16-50, "G" Lenses, or Carl Zeiss lenses. You will be opening up a whole new world of photography excellence!

The 1st 25 quick photos we shot with an APO Minny 100-300 look excellent on our 42" TV!

Update 10-14-11
We have now shot almost 5,000 great photos including 2 weddings. The 2nd wedding we shot was outdoors on a dreary, gray, rainy day and the photos came out fantastic. As a matter of fact they were so good that we sold our last 2 SONY A55s and ordered another SONY A77 with the 16-50 2.8 LENS which will arrive Wednesday-Thursday next week.

We shot the 1st 5,000 shots with version 1.02 and experienced none of the issues that others have seen. We updated to version 1.03 yesterday, but since we had no issues we really don't have a comparison.

Update 10-24-11
We now are the proud owners of 2 of these beauties plus the new SONY 16-50 2.8 lens. The camera and lens go together like peanut butter and jelly! They are so fast together that the finished photo has appeared on the screen before the subject has finished saying "cheese"!

We have shot our 3rd wedding, our 1st with good lighting. The photos that we took were nothing less than stunning. We are off today to shoot our 2nd engagement session and we are both like kids on Christmas Eve with every new opportunity to shoot. This camera grows on you every day and even though we have had the 1st one almost a month it is still exciting to use.

UPDATE 10-31-11

We have now taken over 6,000 excellent photos with our 2 SONY SLT-A77s. So far zero problems with either camera. We went out yesterday and shot with a handful of MINOLTA lenses and they all performed wonderfully on the A77s! We also now had the opportunity to shoot a few hundred shots with some of the new in-camera special effects. The color extraction is amazing, and you'll really like the pop and vivid as well!

If you google our company name you will find our site with hands on reviews and photo samples under the SONY|MINOLTA tab of both the camera and lens.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2011 8:18:49 PM PDT
Landon Dodd says:
Hey Michael, I've had mine preordered on Amazon since they day it was available and can't wait for it to get here. Do you have any Sigma lenses that you could test with the camera to see how they perform or if there are any issues? I have heard of several issues with Sigma lenses affecting some of the a77's in Taiwan and the UK, I believe. I have several that I would love to use on my a77 when it arrives but am overly anxious that they might need to be sent in for modifications before they can work. Thanks and I appreciate your time!

Landon

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 7:57:54 AM PDT
Michael,
You think the Hong kong version is the same as the US version will be ?
If so, I may order in Hong Kong as well.
Can you tell me where did you order ,as not all E sellers are reliable

Thanks very much !

Wouter Slagter
wslagter1@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 2:45:21 PM PDT
Phil says:
digital rev is an hk seller with a good reputation. keep in mind that you won't have a US warranty though. If anything went wrong you'd have to contact digital rev.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 7:41:02 PM PDT
Hi again Wouter,
By chance, if you know the website where Michael bought his Sony camera, could you send me the address to : thaipictures@gmail.com please ?
Thank you.

Richard

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 7:47:47 PM PDT
Hi Michael,
You sould be kind to tell me where (in HK) you ordered your Sony A77 camera please.
Here is my e-address : thaipictures@gmail.com

Best regards,

Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 11:08:33 AM PDT
Kirill says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 1:40:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 6:05:33 PM PDT
Landon Dodd says:
Perhaps you should do your research online. Amazon won't let you post links or I would direct your research for you. So far, tests reveal the a77 comparing as good as or favorably to every camera you mentioned. Nikon fanboys always try to spoil conversations and seem to come out of the woodworks when the a77 is mentioned; its funny how a camera that "can't hold a candle" to Nikon "pro offerings" brings out such defensive responses. Go spread your FUD elsewhere.

Let's also not forget the d700 costs $1200 more and the d3s costs over $4000 more than the a77. Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 6:03:23 PM PDT
Hi,

I had found the DigitalRev website but they don't ship to Thailand and Amazon doesn't ship to Thailand too.
The question is : why ?

Sad, so sad !

RiC

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 5:00:47 AM PDT
Michael,

Besides the question of where you purchased it, which has already been asked, I am wondering if you have any issues with the HK product vs. the US one? I thought I had read somewhere that the HK version would only have menus in Chinese and/or other asian languages. Is that true? Or are your menus in English?

--Greg

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 9:05:03 PM PDT
Hi Landon,

Sell all your Sigma lenses and get yourself some MINOLTA lenses. For the same price you pay for SIGMA you can get much sharper/better color lenses from Minolta :D We used to shoot with Sigma and Tamron on our Penatx cameras and then our SONY cameras because we thought... I don't know, WHAT WERE WE THINKIN'? When we put our first MINOLTA 28-135 on a SONY camera we were blown away. We wasted several years of so-so photography when we could have been shooting the quality we shoot now :D Night and day difference!

The older Sigma lenses do have issues with any of the newer Sony cameras and need to be sent in to Sigma to get re-chipped.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›