3.0 out of 5 stars My skin feels great, but no improvement to acne, July 3, 2010
This review is from: Clarisonic Mia(TM) Sonic Skin Cleansing System Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System - White (Health and Beauty)
This product definitely makes my skin feel great. I don't know that I could stop using it because I love how smooth my skin feels when I'm done using it. I was optimistic it could help with my acne though, and it has made no impact. I have blackheads on my nose, get small bumps on my chin, and get occasional cystic acne - sucks to be me! Even after a facial which basically gave me a clean slate, I still have/still get all 3. I do like this product, but my skin doesn't look any better. Perhaps it takes more time, I've been using it for 6 weeks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2010 12:34:24 PM PST
Farfelu5251 says:
Hi Julie! I love this machine too. I don't think it's going to help with cystic acne, except for washing and exfoliating it from the top. For cystic acne I used antibiotics as a teen (doxycycline) with klaron lotion. I would talk to a dermatologist because I think cystic acne is a different beast.
Best of luck! I know it's frustrating and hurts.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 10:03:50 AM PST
C. Wood says:
Hi Julie, I have had cystic acne for over 40 years, and it's caused by hormones. You probably notice it's always worst around your period. The Clarisonic might help with the smaller superficial pimples, but the deep type of cystic acne is best treated with Accutane. Believe me, I've tried the antibiotics (took them every day for 4 years straight), and they will screw up your system for the rest of your life if you take them long term. Accutane has harsh side effects while you're taking it but you don't need to take it forever, and it keeps working for months after you stop taking it, Eventually you'll probably need another course if you are young. Accutane is probably the only thing that will clear up your cystic acne that won't screw you up long term. Some people do well with topical Retin-A but I found it irritated my skin too much. Accutane is similar to Retin A - both are isotretinoin (Vitamin A based). There are other topical drugs your doctor can give you to clear up the cysts quicker but Accutane stops them before they start. Please go see a dermatologist as soon you can.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 12:34:01 PM PDT
May S says:
I have cystic acne..on my chin from hormones and stress. I have three friends that took accutane and two of them have digestive problems now to the point they can not eat without taking baking soda and vinegar to calm the pain. And recent studies have been made stating a lot of long term health hazards of accutane. I have been doing a lot of research on acne. My derm sucks because he only wants me to take tazorac. But I think that the mayoclinic.com has some nice alternative acne treatments. I am taking zinc 65 mg a day, flax seed oil and B5 one a day and will try the mayo's recommendation of guggul 25 mg twice a day. I also ordered the ansr blue and red light therapy tool by amazon. I heard good things about this and no more harsh chemicals on my face... I'm using jojoba oil at night. finding a good outlet for stress can help as I feel that I only get cysts when I am emotionally upset about something stressful.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 11:00:17 AM PDT
accutane .. damn terrible advice.. before you take this advice research the disadvantages, cons, and side effects. don't ruin your life by believing before researching!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 12:11:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2011 12:43:38 PM PDT
C. Wood says:
Really? Doctors everywhere are still prescribing it because it's the best drug for cystic acne on the market STILL, after nearly 30 years. If you've never tried it, why are you believing only the negative things you read online? Please don't believe just because a few people have had terrible experiences that everyone has. Acne can make you feel like your life is ruined. The emotional toll it takes can last a lifetime. Scars are forever. Bottom line: Accutane gave me my self-esteem back when acne took it away and it saved me countless more scars than I'd have had if I didn't take it when nothing else worked. If you've never had cysts on your face the size of a dime throbbing in pain then you don't have a clue as to the severity of the type of acne this drug was meant for. It is not meant for people who get an occasional pimple! I took this drug off and on for 25 years and I'm fine. I didn't always take the large doses.

The main reason for the lawsuits have been women taking it and not using birth control and having babies with birth defects. Now you have to get a pregnancy test every month you take it because of women who didn't use two forms of birth control as they are supposed to.

Clarisonic isn't going to do a damn thing for cystic acne and they shouldn't be advertising that it helps acne at all.

Before anyone takes anyone's "advice" through an internet site they should talk to their doctor! That's what I did. Accutane is a godsend, a miracle drug for people with cystic acne. It may not be for everyone but it works (and is manageable without any long term side effect) for many, many people. I had far worse experiences with antibiotics that doctors gave me before Accutane was available. They are the real dangerous drugs that doctors will give acne patients. Taking antibiotics for 4 years straight ruined my digestive system for life but you can't sue any doctor or pharmaceutical company for that. Accutane usually only has temporary side effects and can clear up acne for years in some people after they complete a course for a few months, or it can be used in very small doses as a control with hardly ANY side effects other than potential birth defects in pregnancy. As with all drugs, for many people the benefits are worth the side effects and for some, they aren't. Trying it for a few weeks isn't going to kill anyone.

You can read about some people's recent experiences with Accutane at the link below. The majority of people who have tried it say it is worth it to endure the side effects in exchange for clear skin, especially those with severe and widespread acne. Nothing is for everyone. http://www.accutanereviews.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 12:43:51 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 1:11:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2011 1:17:26 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 1:33:57 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 12:21:03 PM PDT
emoore says:
I had cystic acne for over 10 years, and honestly I was hesitant to take accutane but it was the only product that worked for my acne. It look me 10 years to work up the courage to take accutane / get the right health insurance (accutane is expensive!) but don't let people tell you otherwise. Only you know if it's going to be the best option for you. After being embarrassed to go out in public because of my acne accutane saved my life. Seriously. I still get acne here and there 3 years after accutane but it is NOTHING like it was before accutane.

Also my health did NOT change at all after accutane. I'm the same. I also had a healthy baby 2 years after taking accutane.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 11:04:43 AM PDT