1.0 out of 5 stars ... plenty of people out there who can say enough bad things about a bad product, December 12, 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (Amazon Instant Video)
I make a point of trying not to write negative reviews because I think there are usually plenty of people out there who can say enough bad things about a bad product, and the idea of not saying anything nice if I have nothing nice to say is engrained too deeply. But I have to speak up if it can stop someone from spending the money to rent this, especially if you read the books and enjoyed them even a tiny bit.

It was terrible. It was painful. I don't know why I watched the whole thing. My partner turned to me and said, "So. That was like Eragon." The only movie we've never finished because it was so bad. There are so many changes from the book that I don't even know where to start. And I'm not talking about book fans being upset that every plot point didn't fit in. I'm talking about changing characters so severely that a heroine now turns into a simpering, hysterical woman who must be "mansplained" back to rationality in a raining alleyway so that the plot can progress. Horrible.

If you enjoyed the books, read them. But don't spend your $5 or $6 renting this. And whoever gave it 4 stars, welp. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I usually find positive aspects even in movies that get savaged by the critics (mostly), so that ought to tell you something if I'm willing to speak up about how disjointed they made this adaptation.

Stop trying to rush out the movie versions of YA blockbusters in hopes of riches without paying some top-notch screenwriters to get it right. It ends up costing the production in the end, with horrible press and fan disappointment leading to diminished sequel potential. Let's see. Percy Jackson: hot mess. Mortal Instruments: hot mess. Beautiful Creatures: hot mess. I don't know what the next quality YA film will be, but save your money for it instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2013 2:54:47 AM PST
J. Rosenman says:
Y'all are gonna laugh--I don't even know what "YA" stands for. I was scrolling around, looking for what (to me) looked like interesting movies, and fell upon this title. I'm a fan of F&SF, and fantasy comes close to a lot of kindred genres--I suspect that's the case here. The only expansion I can think of for YA is Young Adult, which in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing (although I'm many years removed from at least one of the two) but that doesn't really make sense: *that* genre would include a great deal that is decidedly NOT fantasy. Your comment was so well written and seemed to have a gasp of the entirety of this issue, thereby making you the perfect person to ask for clarification. I hope you don't mind...

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 2:50:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 13, 2014 10:35:32 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 9:09:36 AM PST
ShadowCat says:
only I DID like Eragon I also liked The Golden Compass I'm not saying they deserved 4-5 star's I would give them 3

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 8:14:34 AM PST
Smashley says:
You hit the nail on the head with this review and I wish I would have listened before I waisted my money. My partner and I only finished the movie because we paid for it, but it was the most atrocious adaptation of a book to film I think I have ever watched. I'm not even sure the anyone who worked on the project read the books! I'm so tired of strong female characters from books being turned into Bella Swan on screen.

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 12:00:23 PM PST
D. Mcclure says:
Eragon was truly horrible, I had never of this before, thought it was interesting, loved this movie.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,074 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist