3.0 out of 5 stars Explanations of financial instruments excellent but aimed at high rollers, April 11, 2012
This review is from: The Big Retirement Risk: Running Out of Money Before You Run Out of Time (Kindle Edition)
I saw this author on Consuelo Mack's program. Since the kindle version was under $8 I gave it a whirl. She gives very clear explanations of the various investment vehicles out there, and is especially good at explaining the various bond instruments. But come on! The average 61 year old like me, doesn't have, nor will have, millions to see them through retirement. $150,000 yearly income after retirement? I don't even spend $40K a year now and I live in a decent home, underwater though it may be, drive a decent car, make better than average money and save all I can in my 401K but I estimate that I will retire with $350K in my retirement fund. I felt pretty secure about that until I read this book. And she says she doesn't like publicly traded REIT's, but how else does the small potatoes investor like me allocate funds to privately held, non listed REIT's?

I keep hoping to find the kind of book will offer good advice for those of us in the 99% who will have a modest retirement but a good one nonetheless. It seems that we are still on our own. If you know nothing about investing, you can learn something from this book. However, unless you have a bundle to invest, look elsewhere for information that you can use. I have unlimited choices for my 401K because my employer allows us to use a brokerage account in addition to what they offer in our 401K, but where's the advice for those who have limited investment choices in their 401K's? Read up on lazy man investment choices and match those the best you can. That's what I've done with my grandkids college 529s with their limited investments and that's working out decently.

One last thing. There is shameless plugging of her website in the book, but not much useful information there for the reader. I think this book is a marketing tool to get those who have the money to come to her website and decide to purchase her services.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2012 11:34:52 PM PDT
Ed Sharkey says:
Like Nanci, I am looking for a book with good advice for people planning a modest, good retirement. No matter how I run the numbers I can not figure out how I will need at least $900,000?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 11:55:07 AM PDT
ALIDA RUIZ says:
Ed and Nancy, I agree. Where are the folks with information for people in our financial situation. Thank goodness for these ratings that keep us from buying books which will serve us no purpose.

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 3:13:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2013 3:15:12 PM PDT
jguy says:
Thanks! Incredible. If I was getting $150K in annual income after retirement, I'd retire immediately. I am 69 and have $150K in retirement funds and aside from social security, that's it! And I'm probably in a better boat than most -- so I congratulate you on your nest egg. If you have other books and so on to recommend to me, please do. I think the only way I may survive is by being frugal and the fact that my mortgage and car are both completely paid for. Now to battle with prostate medical expenses. Where can I find info on the lazy man's investment choices?

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 6:09:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 19, 2013 6:12:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2014 2:37:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2014 2:38:47 PM PST
Natalie says:
Scott Burns' site has some lazy portfolios which might help you Jguy: http://assetbuilder.com/lazy_portfolios/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›