3.0 out of 5 stars For better or worse, its WoW with a new difficulty curve, February 4, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Expansion Set (DVD-ROM)
For the most part, this is by far the best incarnation of WoW yet. Northrend is joy to quest in since it looks nice, has excellent lore (at least for the alliance) that involves you like never before, and a new class that is really fun to play. However, after awhile the novelty of all this new stuff wears off and you're left with the end game content to keep you playing. As someone who can't raid, I was really looking forward to getting to run the new heroics and things. However, Blizzard's new philosophy on the "difficulty scaling" of the game has pretty much completely changed the way end game content runs. After less than a month of playing, my friends and I were tearing through the heroics like nothing. Its hard to get psyched for new gear when you can already dominate in what you have. Heroics in TBC were basically hard as heck raids for 5 people, and I miss that. Heroics aren't the only casualty to the new system: I've never seen so many people with the best gear in the game before just running around. My friends that do raid have nothing left to do, and are now just epicly gearing out all their alts. That situation will be fixed with patches, but it stinks to have to just wait for everything. This is basically the first time playing the game I (and my friends) were left with nothing to do except level alts. I can't really comment on the pvp state of the game since that's not my thing (bg's are the most frustrating thing ever... especially on Alliance).

In summary, exploring the new world for the first time is fun, but that's about it. If you can't raid and aren't obsessed with pvp, find an alt you love or be prepared for boredom.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2009 11:17:38 AM PDT
Good review B. Dyer. Spot on. If you're a normal person who works and has a life, good luck getting into a raiding guild that will demand you commit your life to them. If only there were epic solo quest one could accomplish to get great gear. And its good to hear that Im not the only Alliance player that thinks bg's are the most frustrating thing of all time.

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 11:01:45 PM PDT
Burr says:
Thanks for the review.

I was an old-school WoW fan, I was playing the day it was originally released, and for several years after. Those early years were a good time, let me tell you. World PvP, the original massive world to roam, no instanced BG's. Everything felt new and exciting, and the world was cohesive. Some of the good memories and the dramatic changes this game has gone through are very significant. However, I think right around the time of the first expansion, Blizzard decided to focus on: 1) Group stuff and 2) Instanced PvP... which is fine, it is an MMORPG after all, but what about the solo stuff that drew so many casuals into the game to begin with? PvP was the only choice. It's funny hearing you say "nothing to do but level alts" or something to that effect, because during my last days of playing it, that was all I did. Once I got to the cap, there was nothing left for me. Hence, I leveled alts with no future, and that was my WoW career until it ended a few months prior to WotLK. Now it seems there is a similar theme, albeit for a different reason. I wasn't about to dedicate myself to raid schedules and listen to commands barked over Ventrillo, I wanted to be immersed, explore and experience a virtual world, but what good is it if there is no incentive to do so?

It would be great if you could post updates as things change. I would like to hear how things are going in the current WoW. Maybe I will pick it up again some day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 12:51:02 PM PDT
RJ says:
Spot on. Just canceled for good a few weeks ago. My main toon I spent sooo much time on, and was bored out of my mind once I got all my Tier 7 gear. New content, and just thought what is the point? More of the same nonsense over and over. Found I would log on for 15 minutes and fly around then log off. Then not log on for days at a time. Ended up canceling and glad I did now. Joined a gym and starting to realize all the wasted time I spent sitting on my rear end!

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 10:34:33 AM PDT
maskedgamer says:
What made you folks think adding a new contenant to explore and 10 more levels to grind wound drastically change this game so much. I caught wiff of the bull when I maxed my warrior out and aquired all the PVP vendor inventory items, armor, and weapons for my class...all the pvp mounts... then there I was running around Azeroth with the best of everything bored out my mind. Not much left to this game once you have done it all, and finally caught that carrot on the end of the string. I look back at that and want to slap myself for all the time I waisted. When the Lichking came out I knew it was back to Zero, and I would have to do the same tasks basically all over again. That was the day I left...and never looked back.

Posted on Sep 17, 2009 12:57:47 AM PDT
J. Clare says:
Incredibly well put, B. Dyer. My problem is that since I stopped playing in March 2009 I have been looking for a substitute but I can't really find one - the flaws in Aion make it less attractive than WoW to me. So I keep coming back to thinking that WoW is the best of a bad lot, but still not good enough for me to renew my sub.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 10:24:07 AM PDT
J. P Spencer says:
WotLK DID change the game, but unfortunately not for the better. If things had stayed the same and all we got was some new places to explore, I would have been fine with it but they also dumbed things down so not only was it back to zero (which was cool: like playing a new game) but this time, things were really really easy. The sole exception was raiding was still tough but it didn't take long to burn out on that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (383 customer reviews)

$29.99 $7.25