5.0 out of 5 stars Acer One D250 with Windows 7, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Acer AOD250-1633 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - Up to 9 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
Update (17 Nov 09): After a fair amount of travel I stick by my initial rating. Construction is solid and I have had no issues, even after it has been thrown around a bit with my carry-on. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about the "big" battery sticking out. The extra battery life is worth it and the netbook fits easy in your typical sleeve. I bought a standard netbook sleeve off the shelf for a bit of extra protection and the computer fits in with no issues. In fact, I'm able to get my travel mouse and power cord in with it, zipped up and all, which makes travel even easier.
------------------------
So I was recently in the market for a netbook for travel reasons and happened upon the Acer One. After days of reading reviews and visits to local electronic stores, I had narrowed my choices down to the Asus (10 hour battery life) EeePC and this Acer One. As luck would have it, I was in the market just as Windows 7 pre-orders began and both machines came through Amazon with the new OS. In the end, the AC adapter issues with the Asus kept me away, and I figured 10.5 vs. 9 hours of battery life wasn't too big of a difference (and neither would live up to the claims regardless).

The netbook arrived the day after Windows 7 was released and I immediately got to work removing the "extras" that come with the computer. Surprisingly though, Acer did not load too much bloat on the machine and getting it off took no time at all. So then began the installation process. Avast, Office, iTunes, CD Burning software, VLC, Chrome, Firefox, Skype and Quicktime (the usuals) were all immediate needs and all went on with ease. I did purchase the extra gig of RAM that is recommended on most other netbooks (read around and you'll see) as well, however, it did not come until 3 days later so I had a decent amount of time to play around with this machine with just 1g.

Even with 1 gig, iTunes ran smoothly, I was able to watch Hulu with no hiccups, Office didn't lag... I was actually quite surprised. The 2 gig showed up eventually though, and things got even better. Installation was a breeze (just open the memory "door" and clip it in) and took only 30 seconds. The computer recognized it instantly. Once up and running again, the system was noticeably faster... very noticeable. Having open multiple programs is not a problem at all (something I will admit I was concerned about initially).

Along the same lines as the memory upgrade, an external DVD drive may be another buy you will want (just like with every other netbook). I did not invest in one, simply because I will not be needing it, but just a thought when pricing out your "full" purchase.

So, what is good and what is bad?

Pros:

Battery life - lives up to the advertisement (for the most part). I run it on the intermediate setting and get 7 hours easy. Currently at 45% right now and have 4 hours and 5 minutes left.

Wireless N and Bluetooth - while not "necessary" these are very nice. I can pick up signals with my netbook that other laptops in the house cannot get. Range is amazing.

Speed - A lot faster than what I was expecting and blew away all my expectations. Just make sure you spend the extra 20-40 bucks and get the extra memory. You will see a big difference (keep in mind though, she does fine with 1 gig). 2 is always better though.

Display - Very clear and easy on the eyes. Thought I might have issues with the small screen but it looks amazing.

Windows 7 - you can read the reviews about it specifically but it runs great. I'll leave it at that.

Cons:

Keyboard - slightly smaller than some other netbook keyboards out there and can be tricky sometimes.

Touchpad - Acer, as with others, boasts a multi-touch pad (similar to an iPhone or iPod Touch). Maybe I just haven't found the right use for it, but I find it nearly worthless and even when I can get it to "work," it is slow and not very useful. Also, some may find the touchpad a tad too small (at least I do). Finally, the click bar on the touchpad is not broken up into two buttons, and while this is fairly common, the click bar can be tough to click sometimes and there are times I will try to click and hit the middle, which does nothing, and you don't "know" until you look down to see what you're clicking. I think two distinct buttons would have been better and easier.

In the end, this model (and it's brightly colored siblings), in my view, are an excellent buy if you're in the market. At around $400 (depending on how much you get the RAM for), this machine comes with features that you will only find in more expensive netbooks. While I've only had it for a week, I will say I am very pleased with my investment. If time permits, I will update this to review how it holds up with travel, etc... but based on simple home wireless use, I have very very few complaints.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2009 1:25:44 PM PST
Can you provide a link to the 2gig memory upgrade you purchased? Thanks?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 11:42:52 AM PST
Crucial 2GB 667 Mhz CT25664AC667 DDR2 200-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 5:14:06 PM PST
E. Newman says:
how do i open the "door"? when i tried to unscrew it, it seemed to be stuck and would break.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 5:18:54 PM PST
I'm having the same issue and am anxiously waiting any help you all can give us. When I contacted Acer, they told the that they do not endorse or support hardware upgrades.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 7:01:40 PM PST
M. Creigh says:
I liked the thoroughness of N. Himert's review. I learned much about what one needs in a netbook.
MHC

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 7:06:37 PM PST
M. Creigh says:
MHC

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 7:40:39 AM PST
K. Herndon says:
I also found this review very useful, but question on Windows 7. Is this the 'starter' version or were you able to get the full office version? My son uses Powerpoint and I see that it is not included in the starter version. When you say you loaded 'office' what was that exactly? Many thanks for taking the time to reply....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 7:53:10 AM PST
N. Himert says:
All I had to do was pull the panel open using the little gap they give you to get some leverage. Unscrew and click it open. Nothing fancy. Best I can say is wiggle it around in an attempt to get it unstuck. My apologies for not being able to help more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 8:23:09 AM PST
N. Himert says:
This is the Starter version of Windows 7 which does have some limitations but if you're in need of Home or Professional, you should probably shoot for something a little higher end than a netbook. The only thing a "normal" user will really notice about the Starter version is the lack of any ability to change the background.

As for Office, I installed the Office suite (Word, PP, Publisher, OneNote, Excel, Outlook, etc...). I owned the full version. The computer comes with a trial version of Office but if you want Office after 60 days you'll need to either upgrade or buy a copy. Now, the computer does come with the PowerPoint Viewer but after 60 days, unless you upgrade or download Open Office or a similar product, you will not have the ability to make/edit presentations. But that's pretty standard with most systems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 11:33:50 AM PST
Your tip on the memory bay door worked very well. After taking the screw out again, I noticed that wiggling it before attempting to lift it let one side pop out. I had the same experience when putting the door back on: when I just placed it straight it, both corners bulged out until I moved it side-to-side a few times. Thank you very much.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›