5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable feature-filled, intuitive camera, June 20, 2009
This review is from: Sanyo VPC-FH1 HD 1080p Flash Memory Camcorder w/ 16x advance zoom (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In March 2009, I purchased this: Canon FS100 Flash Memory Camcorder with 37x Optical Zoom (Garnet Wine), so this is my point of comparison.

First of all this camera is very sleek and light. It is hard to believe it can do 1080p this small.

I don't like the fact that the lens cap must be manually removed and hangs (the Canon is automatic and built-in) and it was difficult to get the string in the cap to keep it attached.

There isn't an SD card included, so make sure to buy one with it!

It is very intuitive. With sophisticated electronics (e.g., digital cameras, cell phones, etc.), I usually can figure out the basic functions and I review the book to learn the rest. This Sanyo has been very easy to figure out how to use and even edit video.

The button configuration is very simplistic, yet very functional. There are only 6 buttons plus the zoom and they are all arranged well for one-thumb operation. It is so much easier to go between play & record modes and take pictures vs. video on this compared to the Canon.

The quality of video is just terrific. I've primarily used 1080p @ 60f/p with a 16GB SDHC card (Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]) and it showed 2 hours, 10 minutes of video possible, which is great.

The ability to grab any still from a video is amazing. If the video is well-lit and not shaky, the stills look as good as some digital cameras.

As a test for the camera, I recorded some of a once-in-50-year storm this week and captured a half-dozen nice-sized lightning bolts. Going frame-by-frame is just incredible.

The Canon FS100's photos mode was just awful, it reminded me of a digital camera I had 10 years ago. The Sanyo is very good. I can't say it is as good as my Canon S2 IS (Canon Powershot S2 IS 5MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom), but some of them looked very good and with 8 megapixels vs. my 5 megapixels. This even has a flash!

I just tested it for the first time today for a short time, but the high speed recording looks very cool. It has a 240 frame per second and 600 fps mode. The 600 fps was very low quality images, but 240 looked reasonable decent quality. I look forward to finding fun things to use that on (maybe the next thunderstorm!).

I was all ready to hook the camera up to my HDTV via HDMI cable, but found it wouldn't fit into the camera. That's because of the Mini-HDMI jack in the camera, I learned. I bought this: Mediabridge - 5ft Mini-HDMI to HDMI - Version 1.3 Category 2 - 1080p - Blu-Ray and was delighted by the high-quality video. I also enjoyed the included remote control to show my videos off without being tethered to the camera.

My computer cannot handle the video editing power required, so I found the editing functionality built-in to the camera. It is very easy to use and works great. I was easily able to trim the beginning and end of video and merge multiple videos together into one with all kinds of flexibility and speed.

I'm sure that there are more features I haven't learned yet, but I've been very impressed with everything so far and will be using this as our primary video camera and probably even digital camera in many circumstances.

[UPDATE 11/23/09] Overall, I still really like this camera, although a few annoyances have been the picture quality in low light and a difficulty with colors in some indoor circumstances. Sometimes the colors will changes as the cameras tries to figure out how to shoot.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]