2.0 out of 5 stars This XL 350TM is below my expectation, June 12, 2010
This review is from: TomTom XL 350TM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Traffic and Maps Edition)(Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I am a user of TomTom GPS for many years. I have models GO910 and GO730. I bought XL-350TM because of its life time traffic and map updates and my good experience with their GPS. This is a lower end model that doesn't have mp3, video, FM, blue tooth etc. That's ok. I have better devices for that. I just need GPS feature. However after playing it for awhile, I am quite disappointed. Here is why:

1) The touch screen is difficult to use. It's very sluggish and unresponsive. It is so frustrating to brows the map.
2) There is no text instruction of the planned route. So you don't know which freeway/highway you are going to take unless you brows the map, which is so difficult.
3) There is no "shortest route" selection as alternatives. I agree that most time "shortest route" is pretty stupid. But users need to get an idea on the shortest way and plan route around it to balance speed and distance.
4) There is no itineray features. You spend all the time to plan a route and cannot save and reuse it?
5) You cannot avoid an area, such as avoid the roads through New York.
6) You cannot save your own POI by categories.
7) searching POI doesn't return much. I would prefer to wait a few seconds more to cover larger area.

All these above features existed in the models that I use. In my view, this new device is only useful for those who just want to type in an address and follow the directions. Anyone who wants to do more than that, such as examine the route or plan a different one, it is difficult to use.

June 13, 2010
Returned the XL350TM today and checked other models in the store. The higher end model TomTom Go740 still has the functionalities above. Seems TomTom stripped too much in their lower end model. Checked some Garmin models. Overall, I still likes TomTom Go740 better.

I would like to find a GPS that can provide following. Not sure if there are any available on the market:
A) an option to display miles to the next "rest area" (or other POI, such as McDonalds) on the screen. Currently you can do a "Find...", but that requires working on GPS while driving, which is dangerous.
B) Warn user if it will be difficult to find gas stations ahead, such as before entering mountain area or desert.
C) An alternative route method that balance driving time and distance. The "fastest" route to an airport my GPS finded was 1 minute faster than another route, but needs to drive 10 more miles. One way is to let user input a prefered conversion ratio, something like "It's ok to drive 1 more minutes if that can save me 5 miles".

[Add comment]