4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and affordable, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Doublju Mens Casual Shirt with Contrast Neck Band (Apparel)
A little background info on me and what I look for in a shirt: I'm about 5'9" tall, 155lbs, and have an athletic, but not bulky build. I wear size 30 or 31 jeans, and a size 38 suit jacket. To me, the best fitting button-up shirts are, without question, fitted Express shirts. I wear size small Express shirts, which are actually just slightly too small for my shoulders, but I like shirts to be very slim fitting around my waist.

Now, on to how this shirt fits:

UPPER TORSO: I ordered both an XL and an L to compare fits. The L is definitely snug around my chest, shoulders, and back, but not unbearably so. It does restrict movement a little bit, soI wouldn't wear it if I was expecting any physical activity, but it doesn't bother me during everyday activities, especially as I'm used to tighter fitting clothes. The XL was much more comfortable, but I ended up preferring the L due to...

WAIST: The product photos have definitely been pinned for the photography, as the shirt itself is not as drastically tapered around the waist. Definitely less nicely tapered than an Express "Fitted" - probably closer to an Express "Modern Fit". For this reason, the XL was just too big for me. Despite being much more comfortable across the chest and back, the XL just didn't give me the slim look I prefer.

ARMS: I like to cuff up the arms on a dress shirt to above my elbows so that the cuff is around my bicep, out of the way of my forearms. This can make it hard for me to find shirts that fit well, as most non-Express brands that make slim-waisted shirts also make slim-armed shirts that do not fit well over my biceps. I'm no workout freak, but I'm semi-muscular. Sadly, this shirt is of the slim-armed variety, so I can only cuff up the sleeves to my forearms. This was true of both the XL and the L.

LENGTH: I found the length of both overall length and sleeve length of the L to be perfect. The XL was acceptable, but just slightly too long for my tastes. I don't tuck in my shirts, but it might be good to note that if you do, a slightly longer shirt would go good to keep it tucked in.

MATERIAL: I ordered both the grey and the wine colors of this shirt. The materials for them are actually very different. The grey shirt is a slightly metallic looking chambray sort of material, whereas the wine shirt has more of a faux-silk like appearance and feel. Both seem fairly high quality, but I do wish they had added a bit of spandex to the fabric to give it some stretch.

OTHER NOTES: I have washed (cold water) and tumble dried (low) the shirts and they did not seem to experience any significant shrinking. (Woo!) The buttons don't seem to be sewn on all that well, but that is easily fixed.

CONCLUSION: Good shirt for the price, and very stylish looking. Not as perfect fitting as an Express shirt, but better fitting than most other American brands I've tried, which tend to fit me like a flag. Sizing recommendations on the product listing are accurate if you like and are used to close-fitting shirts, but you may want to go one size up from recommendation if you have a very broad upper torso or like your shirt to fit a little more comfortably.

[Add comment]