4.0 out of 5 stars Works so well, we got two, great warranty service, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo G580 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Our daughter needed a new laptop for college. We gave her a budget. She selected this one. It worked great for the entire first semester except for a couple of glitches caused by some third party software she installed.

We got the 2-year service plan with the computer and Lenovo was great about answering all of our daughter's questions.

They resolved the issue in one call, although it took twenty minutes to do it.

( I told her, "twenty minutes is not bad," but when you're a teenager who is missing crucial gossip, it seems an eternity!)

Our beloved daughter types faster than a raging robot, and so, is very hard on keyboards. Sure enough, at the end of the school year while she was visiting home, her keyboard developed a broken key.

"This cheap thing is ^$%%# &&$5 (*#&^$6) "

(She was in the middle of an important discussion with some of her friends about some other friends when it died. From my den downstairs I could hear her hammering away above me (in her room) with the frenetic passion of a Jack Kerouac.)

Two keys had been pressed so hard that they collapsed and wedged in place, rendering all other keys useless as they sent repeating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! messages. That day I learned that all teenagers believe you can make your point LOUDER if you type harder.

Well, one quick call from momma, and Lenovo sent her a NEW KEYBOARD. They were very helpful both over the phone and by referring us to their excellent repair videos. Momma, (who is NOT particularly good with tools) got the old board out and the new one in in less than a half-hour!

She was so impressed with this service that she bought another Lenovo exactly like the kid's. The difference is that Mamma doesn't BANG on her keyboard when typing emotional messages. Result? We have had both of these working perfectly for over a year and a half now. For any computer that runs Microsoft, I consider that a victory.

SO, the machine is well-designed, works like it is supposed to and does not break if it is not abused. If it does break, Lenovo has resources to make fixing it faster and easier. It may not be "emotional teenage girl YELLING ON FACE BOOK proof" ...but it is darn close.

If you are an adult, (or behave like one) you will probably have no such problems. If you snap a gasket some night whilst typing furiously, Lenovo will come through for you under warranty, no shipping charges for parts.

That's better than any other PC company I've dealt with.

Hope that helps!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2012 6:46:26 AM PST
Bibby says:
Thank you for your review, was funny. If it isn't too much trouble, could you tell me the dimensions of this computer. The description says 20 inches wide which I find impossible to believe on a 15.6 inch laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 2:33:02 PM PST
From edge to edge it is 14 7/8 " and is a "wide screen" I guess for video watching though due to win 8 I have yet to do anything useful.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:48:49 PM PST
Great post Mr Conner ... very informative and funny. Made me smile.

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 12:08:24 PM PDT
Leigh says:
Just hope nothing goes wrong with it. Lenovo service is the worst. They will take forever. Try to put you off with stalling tactics and downright lie about the problem with your computer. That's what happened to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 3:51:58 PM PDT
G. Conner says:
Hmmm, We received great fast service. Did you not read the review?

Tech support took twenty minutes for my daughter... less for my wife.

Lenovo provided a free keyboard to replace one my daughter clearly broke, which we admitted she broke.

Further, Lenovo paid for 2-day shipping, provided free phone support and videos to help my wife install the new free keyboard.

I'd say that is the opposite of stalling, and certainly no one lied to us.

Sorry your luck wasn't consistent with ours.

BTW, Nothing has gone wrong with our two identical laptops since my review was written. (Knock on wood.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›