5.0 out of 5 stars Temperature just right, in the long run, October 10, 2007
This review is from: Presto 05466 Stainless Steel Dual Basket Pro Fry Immersion Element Deep Fryer (Kitchen)
In light of Shelley Ryan's excellent report on the problem she had with her Presto fryer, I thought I should report my own experience. I filled my fryer with oil and let it come up to temperature on the highest setting. I checked the temperature with my own thermometer when the light went out, and indeed the temperature was only around 340 degrees rather than 375 as it should be. But, after simply mixing the oil around a bit with the drip baskets, I found that within a few minutes the temperature rose right up to 375 degrees, as it was supposed to be. The heating elements are very close to the unit's internal thermostat, and I think that you need to get the oil moving a bit in order for all of the oil to heat uniformly up to the correct temperature.

Of course, once the food gets frying there is plenty of movement in the oil to even out the temperature. And given the substantial amount of oil and the amount of power supplied by the unit's heating elements, I find that it does a much better, cleaner, and safer job of frying than I'd been experiencing on my gas stovetop with a deep pot. My experience has been that the temperature comes back up to the right level very quickly. The french fries, empanadas, and fried chicken I've cooked in it so far have come out great.

As some others have posted in reply to her review, it's possible that the thermostat in Ryan's unit was simply defective. For mine, it seems to be just right.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2007 11:01:39 AM PST
Shelley Ryan says:
Thanks, Closer! Glad to hear that yours worked better than mine. But I'm still reluctant to order another... ;]

Posted on Jan 16, 2008 10:42:29 AM PST
Joseph Zhao says:
I have read both Ryan's and Closer's first-hand reviews. Both are meaningful and insightful, of course, helpful to other purchaser's decision. I believe Shelley's bad experience was only personal to her (sorry for bad luck), but Closer's experience seems applicable to most other user experiences. Therefore, I would go ahead to buy one (actually, I already have one now, but just different model).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2009 2:02:18 PM PDT
Yes, I agree W/ Joseph Z. I have made up my mine to go ahead and purchase this fryer. Thanks Closer from your review....You just closed the deal for me to buy this fryer!

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 11:58:46 PM PST
I can't get mine to get over 350 and I'm using a candy thermometer to check the temp. I got it for Christmas a few days ago and I'm using the "stir the oil" method, but the heaters always turn off around 340-350.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 11:07:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011 11:13:34 AM PDT
Closer says:
Ed McNamara's experience can't be discounted---it's always possible that individual units have thermostats that don't allow the oil to get hot enough. It's also possible that his candy thermometer is off, but my sense is that they are generally reliable. (The only way I know of to double-check the thermometer is to put it in rapidly boiling water, and compare the reading you get to the boiling point of water at your elevation. There are cool online calculators that tell you what the boiling point of water is for your elevation, and even a most increase in elevation can lower it by a few degrees. If your thermometer is off at your water boiling point, it's going to be off by even more at candy/frying temperatures.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 2:28:12 AM PST
Daniel A. says:
I would have to say it is individual unit calibration, I just got mine and "overfilled" it with peanut oil (the level is even with the tops of the baskets when they are lowered without food). According to my digital meat thermometer mine shuts off at 375° and then the temp peaks at 382° a few seconds later. This is with the cover on and the thermometer probe inserted straight down from the middle set of basket handle slots.

Mine cooked Mozzarella sticks and prefab battered fish wedges perfectly, for the fish I let it get to 375° then turned the knob back down to 325° and the thermostat hadn't cycled back on by 10 minutes later when the wedges were done.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›