5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing!, January 13, 2012
This review is from: Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router with Internal Antenna (150 Mbps) - 2.4GHz - 802.11b/g/n - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP / Mac OS X / Linux (Electronics)
Okay. I'm old. I don't understand a lot of gadget stuff. MP3, MP4, widgets...I have no idea what they are and I doubt that the quality of my retirement will be affected by that loss. But I do have a computer at home that the cable guy set up. I can send e-mail, read the news online and have even bought books on Amazon and had them delivered by UPS to my door. It's been a whole new world opened up for me. I'm content with life. Then things got ratched up a level. Santa brought me a Kindle Fire. Looks nice. But I can't do much else than turn it on and off. A wi-fi connection is needed. I mull this over for a few days. How do I get one? Do I call the cable company and pay extra monthly to have them beam a signal toward my house? I don't have a clue. Enter Google. So I learn that I just need a box. It's called a "router" and it plugs into my computer. I consider a trip to Best Buy, but really...my first and last trip there was a torment. Almost seizure inducing. So I do another Amazon search and find it even auto suggested a router for Kindle Fire. I browse the various prices but stick with customer reviews. It's a blind faith thing. And so I opt for this Medialink. 150 Mbps (?). I purchase and Amazon confirms. Then I get another e-mail, this time from Mediabridge Products and it gives me directions to their website and a customer support phone number. Never got that from a seller before. And then it arrives. This old man read the step by step instructions and literally had it set up and running in about ten minutes...well yes, it was quite stressful but only because I had no understanding of what I was doing but I followed the steps and it worked. I have wi-fi and the strength of the signal is good. And the little box? It's. Small and discreet but looks good with little flashing blue lights. I have it on display. It does everything it's supposed to do and it's been problem free. And guess what...I'm writing this review on my Kindle. Thank you Medialink and thank you Santa but please, next year, don't be testing me this much again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2012 2:44:37 PM PST
T. Hawkins says:
Nicely written review!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 12:37:42 PM PST
Finally, someone who shares my brain. I got an Iphone a month ago, and all of my friends keep telling me I need wi-fi? and I keep saying wi? I'm thinking about buying this, but am afraid I'll ruin my new fiber-optic internet service and my inteernet tv.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:47:11 AM PST
Ann says:
John Donnelly, are you married? Do you want to be? lol! Loved this review. I am old too (59) and you give me hope. I want wi fi and now I may actually have the courage to take the leap. Thanks...

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 11:45:04 PM PST
loved reading your review..you had me laughing so much.. thanks for that.. I too am doing research, so far I am liking the reviews for the Medialink..Medialink - Wireless N Broadband Router - 150 Mbps - 2.4GHz - 802.11n w/ Internal Antenna

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 8:18:40 PM PST
Ha Ha ! I also loved the review. Caused me to chuckle. I won't be getting this product but, just wanted to let you know I appreciate your sense of humor.

Posted on May 17, 2013 8:42:10 AM PDT
F. Gibson says:
Love your post! I can so relate and you gave me the boost i needed to try this particular router. Since I have never met a router before, I hope mine is kin to yours and cooperates!

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 8:22:52 AM PDT
Your reply made me laugh, as I could have imagined my Dad writing this...even those of us that know a little bit of what to do find this stuff frustrating. Your review was encouraging that I could set up yet another router, as our NetGear drops the signal daily.

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 4:06:45 PM PDT
Andrew P. says:
LOL!!! You review had me laughing out loud :) Very well written. Had my attention from the start, and had to finish it, even though I've worked with routers for years. Very funny!

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 11:24:40 AM PST
V says:
Add me to the list of folks who loved your review. I'm also old (embarrassed to mention HOW old). And although I know a little bit about newer technology, routers have always baffled me. After reading your review, I set up my Medialink router. I had ordered and received it in May of this year but was unsure about using it. I'm so happy I did -- it's working beautifully! Thank you.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 2:18:50 PM PDT
Kimmarie W. says:
I agree with all the other review observers! Your review had me in "stitches" and I also wanted to thank you for your candor and "breaking it down" for all of us who are less techy. Thanks again!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›