5.0 out of 5 stars Used it in Europe, worked great! (UPDATE 2nd Trip to Europe), June 4, 2007
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 370 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Electronics)
SEE UPDATE BELOW ORIGINAL REVIEW
I have just returned from a trip to Europe (London, Paris, Rome, and Florence) where I used the Nuvi 370 extensively and it worked great. First of all, I put a lot of the places I would be going to in the "Favorites" list before I left. The great thing about Nuvi is that it sorts this list based on distance from wherever you happen to be. So I didn't have to scroll through points for Paris or Rome when I was in England and vice versa. Very useful. I also found that the points of interest had all the sightseeing landmarks that I was going to visit and nearly every restaurant that I had earmarked for meals. I also got the translation guide which came in very useful (especially to explain "tap water" at European restaurants, they really want to sell you bottled water and pretend to not understand what tap water means, but showing them in their own language on Nuvi always got the point across). Now here is a report of actual real world use as a pedestrian in Europe.

Pros - It had every street that I walked on without exception. It knew that I could walk the wrong way on one-way streets as a pedestrian (in pedestrian mode). Usually very fast lock on of satellites. Currency converter very useful. Language guide easy to use and very helpful with menus. Learned a few phrases by imitating the voice on the language guide which led to a lot of goodwill in France and Italy. Used it to show addresses to cab drivers which was always helpful. Tracked the taxi rides and could tell when cabbies were way off route and a little protesting got them back on track. Used it to make easy decisions between walking, metro, or cab by routing a destination and seeing how far the walk would be. Nuvi lets you scroll through the route and is pretty accurate as to how long it will take to walk.

Cons - 1. In pedestrian mode, I almost always started walking the wrong way because Nuvi isn't sure which way it is pointed when you are standing still. This is fixed by walking a few feet until you see if you are going the right way, rarely more than 10 feet. 2. It doesn't automatically reroute in pedestrian mode if you get off the selected route, you need to hit "detour" which sometimes leads to a much longer path. 3. Sometimes satellite signal would get lost in the narrow older streets, especially in Italy. Sometimes the display would suddenly indicate that I was walking the exact opposite way that I had been going due to lost or confused signal. But these are all nits and were easily handled.

Overall - The Nuvi 370 worked exactly the way I was hoping it would. If you live in America and plan travel in Europe, I highly recommend the Nuvi 370 and Language Guide.

UPDATE 2ND TRIP TO EUROPE
I recently spent two weeks in Spain where I used the Nuvi in pedestrian mode and drove throughout Southern and Western Spain. The Nuvi worked perfectly except where maps were somewhat out of date. The scariest words in my life now are "Enter roundabout and take second exit to roundabout". At one point we did three consecutive roundabouts! If you are not used to driving in a foreign country, I highly recommend Nuvi 370. The POI's pointed out gas and food when we needed it, and in both pedestrian and driving mode, it got us through many medieval streets with no problems. I again used the language guide(very useful) and was able to figure out what was what on local menus. I find the estimated arrival times in both pedestrian mode and driving mode to be pretty accurate and helpful in decision making. I even used it on the AVE high speed train between Madrid and Cordoba to see how fast we were going (180+ mph). I have now had this for a couple of years and can't live without it.

One of most useful features is the ability to find metro stations nearby when you are in pedestrian mode. Very helpful in Madrid and Barcelona.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2007 8:42:35 AM PST
L. Mayo says:
Trying to buy a personal GPS for my husband & the choices are dizzying. This was very helpful and describes exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Posted on Dec 15, 2007 2:31:58 PM PST
Smokeyham says:
Thanks so much for your well written review. I was especially interested in how well the Garmin Nuvi 370 would work as a pedestrian tool in Europe, and your review answered that question!

Posted on Oct 22, 2008 5:21:49 AM PDT
E. Fisher says:
wow thanks so much for the review! My dad is a pilot and he just started flying international. He has always wanted a GPS and I think now he could really use one! I am glad to hear it works great in Europe! I was really wondering how it worked as a pedestrian and your review answered that! Thanks so much!

Posted on Apr 17, 2009 5:43:27 PM PDT
ck says:
Thanks for the review; I've been curious how functional the Europe maps are for walking as well as driving and your detailed comments answered that. I'm wondering whether to buy the Europe map for our garmin, which is now past warranty, or just buy another unit for not too much more. Your comment about the language guide gives me something else to consider. Not sure if that's bundled with the Europe maps or another component; if the latter, then gosh, buying another unit may be the wisest choice.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 5:46:51 AM PDT
ROGER-WILCO says:
Thank you. A most useful review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (270 customer reviews)

Out of stock