3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but Lacking Some Key Documentation, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Pro Drupal 7 Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source) (Paperback)
I've always been a huge fan of the Pro Drupal Development series of books. I referred to my battered copies of the D5 and D6 editions as my "bibles". I had the same expectations for the Drupal 7 version but after reading felt it lacking compared to the previous editions. My guess is there was a rush to push out the book before D7 was ready but by doing so the authors left out some key functionality available in Drupal 7. It felt more like a rehash of the D6 version with some D7 functionality thrown in. Below is a rundown of some of my "issues"

Entities: Every data element in Drupal is now an Entity (Nodes, taxonomy, users, comments). This was huge shift and probably could get its own chapter. Found barely a mention of this.

Database: I was glad to see some mention of the OOP aspects of the database API. One major absence was EntityFieldQuery. This is a huge D7 feature that developers will need and I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

RDF: Resource Description Framework is in core. This needs a chapter (or a book). Enough said.

Renderable Content: All content in D7 is treated similar to FAPI (form API), via a renderable array. This new feature didn't get nearly enough of the attention it deserves.

Javascript/AJAX: Missing about 2 chapters here. The ajax functionality for D7 is all new. I don't recall a mention of the Ajax commands API. Also missing was any mention of Drupal.behaviors. The Javascript examples don't follow the best practices.

I respect the authors work and gave them my $[...] bucks for the book. That being said, I'd really wait for (hopefully) the next edition of this book as it is missing too many key features of D7 for me to fully recommend. If you are already hardcore into D7 development definitely hold out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2011 8:42:21 AM PST
Hi there - thanks for the review! I notice that the book is now on it's 3rd edition, could you please confirm that you were indeed reviewing the 1st edition?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 8:49:29 AM PST
ngm says:
I need to alter my review as I was incorrect about the editions. I was in-fact reviewing the 3rd edition, thinking it was a 1st edition for "Pro Drupal 7 Development".

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 1:52:52 PM PDT
rgbatson says:
After a year trying to get a handle on Drupal 7 - and I have programmed in PHP and MySQL as well as numerous web sites - I am still looking for good how-to help. May I contact you directly? I am rgbatson dot hotmail dot com.
Right now, I'm trying to figure how to integrate my static page needs (and separate page designs) with Drupal's approach, which I need for comments/blog.
Thanks for your time and consideration!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›