Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Junk, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Black/Silver) (Electronics)
Either I've ended up with the only 10 radios Midland has made that were junk, or the other reviews are from Midland employees. My radios just won't hold a charge, stop working after 2 days or start to sound like I'm talking under water.

We purchased 2 pairs of these for a video production. At first I couldn't believe how good these were. The range, albeit not a million miles like they say, was VERY VERY good! Several miles for sure. Very impressive. So we bough 3 more pairs the same week. But before the second set showed up, the first 4 started flaking out. The batteries wouldn't hold a charge. I thought they were being overcharged, but the book says to keep them on the charger when not in use.

It wasn't 2 weeks before the other ones started flaking out on us too.

Out of the 10 radios there are only 1-2 that appear to work without any issue. For the life of me, I don't see how these have gotten such great reviews since we've only had 10-20% reliability at best with the ones we've purchased.

I don't have any recommendations for any other radios since this is our first radio purchase. These have so much potential, but fall very very short! If they would just stay on and hold a charge for longer than 30 minutes, I would be in love with them because the reception/transmission signal is simply incredible (when working)!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2011 3:52:07 AM PST
Cat Mann says:
I wonder what would happen if the stock mfgr batteries were replaced with better-quality rechargeable batteries, say ones with a higher amperage rating, like Powerex. Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries w/holder- 4 Batteries Per Pack

I replaced the stock batteries in all 4 of our cordless Panasonic phones, and they now last for many hours of constant use. Might be worth a try, considering your investment in the radios.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 10:07:22 PM PDT
Thanks for the suggestion. I might give it a try.

I bought some cheaper Motorola radios recently and am unimpressed the range, but at least they work. They were half the price of these radios, but 1/4 the range. Grr! I'll edit my review on those some day if they stay working.

I did put some regular LI rechargeable batteries in the radios and they worked for a while, but ended up causing more grief since the charge would drain so fast it became annoying change. I tried charging a pair with the base instead of my AA battery charger.... BAD IDEA. Batteries exploded and oozed all over the place.... so beware of that when you get the same "bright idea" that I had. Charge batteries with the appropriate chargers.

But for the sake of clarity, my radios started acting up WAYYY before I decided to do the battery swap-a-roo. I did the swap after my return time limit was up with Amazon... figured it couldn't hurt... well, that's what I thought before the acid ate the paint off my desk, but that's a different review.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 6:08:56 AM PDT
H. Hillhouse says:
The battery packs stink, but when I replaced them with AA batteries, I got much better performance and battery longevity out of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 12:14:47 PM PST
I have no direct experience with these particular radios, but what Cat Mann says is absolutely correct. The factory battery packs for my old Motorola t6300s are made up of AAA cells, so switching to loose AA NiMh cells makes a huge difference in run time. I believe this is going to be the case with most factory battery packs.

You may have another issue, though. It sounds like your packs either aren't charging properly, have developed very high self-discharge, or they've developed high internal resistance. (High IR could very well keep them from charging properly.) Neither of the latter two problems can be fixed, exept by replacement. Personally, I don't think I would leave them on the charger all the time, unless you can verify that it's not trickle-charging the cells to death.

It sounds like you really like the radios otherwise, and I'm looking at purchasing a set of these myself. I think you'll be much happier with loose AA NiMh cells, plus you won't be locked into a proprietary pack.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 10:18:27 PM PDT
L. Ketchum says:
For all NIMH uses, I use Sanyo eneloop batteries for AAA and AA.

I uses others for D NIMH cells and no C or 9v equipment.

Using the above, the radios work very well and do not transmit vertically - e.g., helo, or low alt. acft, are less likely to "hear" them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 5:26:21 PM PDT
Bobby Dunn says:
Thats what I did and they worked great. One of my stock batteries died before the new smell was gone, I had Powerex batteries for other gear and they worked great

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:42:16 PM PST
Dr. Who says:
I have a pair of these and i just gave them to my 3 year old to use as a toy because the quality and design was just terrible. I was told that these have a 5 watt output. I do not believe that because these run on AA batteries. When I use a AA battery pack for my 4 watt ICOM professional radios, there are 6 AA batteries in there giving and the only way I can get the radio to work is if the power is reduced to 1.5 watts. If you tried to use that much power with AA batteries, you will burn your radio, battery or both.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:12:07 AM PST
I have had the SAME experience. I purchased SIX of these (three pair) and at first was super impressed. Then they stopped working one by one. I contacted Midland, who told me to try them with AA batteries. In a few of the cases, they worked with AAs.. in a few cases, they did not. Midland told me to mail them back... I haven't done so yet. I put four of the six in a box after testing them THOROUGHLY with the rechargeable packs AND AAs... after determining that the four would not work. A few days later, I pull them out of the box, and just to satisfy my curiosity- I put the packs back in and try again. THREE out of the four worked again. I just don't know what to do. I don't want the company to think I'm crazy if I mail them back and they work for them. However, I can't continue to live with these unreliable units. Midland - what should I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2014 1:28:02 AM PDT
SO.....???? do I go get Motorola Talkabout MS350R ? I mean Midland is a watt stronger but Motorola seems to have better manufacturing standards? and all these reviews complaining their not getting 36 miles out of the hand helds...it is like a MPG sticker it is a guideline on comparisons a 16 mile one is less powerful than a 36 mile one but no one actually gets 36 miles it is just a guideline....so?? Motorola or Midland?

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 5:28:53 PM PDT
frank b says:
Interesting. We bought ours to use on a cruise. One them had the battery fail after the very first day. I put AA batteries in it and it worked just fine, but still frustrating. We bought a pair of Motorola 350's at the same time. The Midland definitely reached out farther, but of course, none of them reach anywhere near what they advertise. The Motorola gave us a signal out to about 1/2 of a mile (with me in my truck and my wife in our house). Vs the Midland that reached out to about a mile.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›