1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturuer told me to take it back..., August 31, 2011
This review is from: Cuisinart CJE-1000 1000-Watt 5-Speed Juice Extractor (Kitchen)
I bought this juicer partly on the reviews of others. The reviews are right. The machine is quiet, easy to use, easy to clean, the juice yield and pulp dryness are good for this type of machine.

I noticed that the filter vibrates up when I turned the motor off... every time. I ran the juicer 4 times and the the filter lifted a little more with each use. I contacted the manufacturer to ask if I had a defective machine. The response I got back was that they confirmed my problem to be an inherent design flaw... not a defect. They tested several units of this model and found that the filters lifted out of place on all of them. The manufacturer told me to take it back to the retailer and get a refund immediately. That is exactly what I did. I wish the manufacturer spent more time looking into design and functionality.

Some people may think a little lift when you turn off the machine is no be deal. Here is my thought. If it lifts progressively more now, when it is new, what will it do over time? If it lifts completely, it could damage the cover, it could cause bodily harm (the thing does spin at 13,000 rpms at the highest setting), or at the very least it could shorten the life of the machine. The manufacturer did not try to sell me on the plausibility of keeping the machine for further use, in fact, just the opposite. They told me to get rid of it IMMEDIATELY. To me, that speaks volumes about the worth of this machine.

I would not recommend this machine.

As a side note, I've seen a number of reviews that compare masticating juicers like tribest, omega, champion, etc. to centrifugal juicers like juiceman, jack lanlanne, cuisinart, etc. There really is no comparison... they are totally different. The masticating machines will always be more efficient, giving a higher juice yield with dryer pulp. They are also twice the price (or more), harder to use, and harder to clean. If you want convenience, choose a centrifugal system, but you will sacrifice juice yield and pulp dryness. If you want the absolute most you can get out of your produce and don't mind spending more time juicing and cleaning up afterwards, buy a masticating system. I've used both and see the benefits of both. Personally, convenience is what keeps me using a juicer. Happy juicing, whatever you decide.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2012 10:16:01 PM PST
Thank you for just bringing to light the difference between a masticating and a centrifugal juicer. My friend likes her Vitamix blender/masticater and I prefer the centrifugal system but you were the first to really emphasize the difference in yields/clean up. I've only been juicing for 3 months and am still learning.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 12:10:13 PM PDT
Dandelion says:
Thank you for discussion on masticating machines. I will have to think about that issue.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:45:00 AM PST
E. Terrosa says:
Thank you for explaining the differences, I didn't know thats twhat they were.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 4:12:22 PM PDT
K. A. Barnes says:
What kind do you prefer? masticating or centrifugal? Thanks so much for your informative comments.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 8:21:12 PM PDT
I bought a Champion masticating juicer is 1993. Never used it much because of the time spent assembling/disassembling and cleaning filters while juicing. Very time consuming. I paid $300 for it then. Was selling it on Craig's list and the buyer asked if it worked; I tried it and found that the juice was superb and I kept it. Very little yield when juicing spinach and kale. Was looking for a juicer that did that better, guess I'll keep my Champion. The NutriBullet is a mess; you have to add water and the juice tastes nasty. Wish I had known!

Posted on May 17, 2013 5:45:32 PM PDT
Jeff Kalmar says:
They may have made some design changes since your review, or your retailer may have gotten a bad lot, but the filter on mine (purchased just this week) doesn't lift when I use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 12:23:24 PM PDT
RC says:
I've been juicing since I was a kid in the 1960's making juice drinks for customers in one of my father's health food stores. I've tried all kinds o juicers from manual to electric and none of them are ideal 100% of the time. I would love to find a juicer that does it all well and is easy to clean but they all have their pluses and minuses. I own blenders and they don't work well for juicing. I own a food processor and it is even worse still. I own the Breville Juice Fountain but I rarely use it because the clean up is time consuming. That basket needs to be soaked and scrubbed with different kinds of brushes. The juice is always great too but there is a lot of waste unless you re-use it in soups or compost it. I also own an Omega 8006 and it does a great job masticating wheat grasses and greens. Carrots not so much depending on how juicy they are. Apples and beets yield the most juice, I think. Plus they add great flavor to almost any juice combo. The problem with it is that it clogs up fast and I have to use the reverse all the time and dismantle it often to unclog the screen. Plus it's time consuming to cut up all the different fruits and veggies to pit inside the feeding tube. I love my Nutribullet and the juice I make tastes great the cleanup is a breeze. I think that it's important to know how to use it properly. Combining the veggies and fruits together without overdoing it makes all the difference too. Follow the recipes and you can't go wrong with the results which is key for the best flavor. But, of course, tastes differ and some people will never like the taste of raw veggies whether whole or as a juice. My only dislikes are that the tiny seeds are not fully pulverized like the commercial says and it cannot handle wheat grass which just becomes a stringy mess in the drink. I'm still looking for the ideal, reasonably priced juicer but so far it doesn't exist.

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:55:02 AM PDT
Good review. I am new to juicing and want to buy a decent juicer on a tight budget. What juicer did you decide on?

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 6:48:58 AM PST
RaChel says:
@ Jerry Proudlock, thank you so much for your comment and detailed information. I have just starting researching and seeking a juicer so this information was quite beneficial to me. Thanks again!

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 12:08:19 PM PST
I appreciated the knowledge of difference between masticating and centrifugal juicers. Thank you...I was all for masticating until I read your review! Now, I'm looking for centrifugal....heh heh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (649 customer reviews)

$270.00 $125.99