2.0 out of 5 stars Hey Warner Home Video, we want the EXTENDED episodes!!!, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Friends: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'm a huge fan of "Friends," in fact it's probably my favorite TV show of all time. Interestingly, I didn't start watching the show until it was in its 9th season. I dismissed it as a "chick show," but when I finally started catching re-runs when I was in college, it had me rolling! It was right at this point that they began releasing the full seasons on DVD. So every time a new season was released on DVD I went right out and bought it. The first time that I saw many of these episodes (probably 80% of the series) was on DVD. For those of you that don't know this, the DVDs actually contained longer episodes than what had been originally broadcast on NBC. Each 20-minute episode contained another 2 or 3 minutes of dialogue/story. And it wasn't excessive stuff that needed to be cut, many of my favorite lines in the show were in these extended scenes. In fact, when I go back and watch re-runs of the show now I can't believe how much of it is missing. I still love my DVDs though, special features and all! But when I watch them now on my 47" TV I notice that they look pretty rough. There's lots of pixelation and fuzziness, and the episodes aren't formatted for widescreen. Certain channels have been showing the episodes in HD and they look gorgeous! I thought to myself, "I would actually buy the whole series over again on Blu-Ray if it had all the extended episodes and bonus features from the standard DVD set."

When I learned that "Friends" was coming to Blu-Ray I was so excited, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Then I learned that this Blu-Ray boxed set would not contain the previously released extended episodes, but would instead have them as they appeared in the original NBC broadcast. Warner Home Video's reason for this is as follows: "The extended cuts were special versions created for the DVDs and no longer exist in a form that could be used for a Blu-ray release." ...What does THAT mean? You can transfer the short episodes but not the long ones? That makes no sense! Whatever was done to clean up the episodes that they've been showing on TV in HD, they can do for the extended episodes. I think someone just got lazy and decided this would be good enough. While I desperately want my favorite show in HD, I will not fork out over $200 for an inferior product! I know these (extended) episodes like the back of my hand, and I won't be able to truly enjoy the show with the absence of so many great scenes and lines. I'd rather watch bad resolution "Friends" in its entirety than watch a cleaned up abridged version. The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars is because it's still an awesome show, and for casual fans this might be enough. However, for fans like me this will simply not do. This reminds me of George Lucas only releasing the versions of Star Wars that nobody likes, or Peter Jackson putting out The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on Blu-Ray but waiting over a year to put out the extended versions. Warner Home Video won't be getting my money this time. Try again, guys!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2012 6:25:39 AM PDT
P. King says:
I'm with Greg... I thought about it, but I alread have all 10 seasons in a box set. Why reproduce this in Blu-Ray without giving fans everything from before?? Makes no sense! I'll just keep my DVD set.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:55:02 PM PDT
VideoGuy says:
"I'd rather watch bad resolution "Friends" in its entirety than watch a cleaned up abridged version. "

What good is watching an episode in its entirety if you can't see it. Yeah, the DVD versions were that bad. The transfers were so fuzzy. While the BD version may not include the extended footage, at least you can clearly see the picture.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 1:47:22 PM PDT
P. White says:
Of course it wasn't 'formatted for widescreen'. This is an early nineties tv show composed and recorded in 4:3. You can't make it 16:9 without rerecording it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:17:38 PM PDT
Greg says:
P. White, that's what I figured. But the channels that show the re-runs in HD seem to have been reformatted.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:40:28 PM PDT
Matt says:
They were filmed in 16:9 (actually bigger than that even).

FILMED. Not videotaped. TV shows that were VIDEOTAPED, can't be converted to 16:9 because they were literally recorded at 4:3

Most FILMED TV shows were filmed in movie format and THEN cropped for TV.

Friends was filmed, and in wide shot to boot. No excuses!

Cheers, for instance, was filmed as well but due to how they processed it, it's only 4:3 "HD". Friends does not share that same fate.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:42:57 PM PST
What do you mean parts of the episode are going to be missing???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:03:51 AM PST
Joe says:
DVD version are extended. Meaning episodes go past 20 mins. While the BD set are the broadcast versions.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:39:46 PM PST
Thank you for this. I barely saw this set today at the store and *almost* bought it. Decided to check on here and so glad I did. I have the DVD set, and while I would love the widescreen version, a little better quality... it would annoy me not to watch the extended episodes. Even when I do catch re-runs on tv it upsets me not seeing something I have memorized. I have the entire series memorized (okay, maybe not the last two seasons so much...), and I just can't see myself putting down this kind of money for it. Again, thank you.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:11:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:16:34 AM PST
Matt Parent says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:18:45 AM PST
Matt Parent says:
Joe, the standard episode length until sometime early in the 21st century was 22-23 minutes. Most episodes were not extended.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,351 customer reviews)

$279.98 $119.00