5.0 out of 5 stars Alton Brown Fans Take Note--You Need This!, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food (Kindle Edition)
Alton Brown fans take note! You need a copy of Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks and Good Food. Seriously, this book takes everything I enjoy about Alton's shows and combines them into a book for the beginner, novice and pro alike.

Sure some recipes may seem basic. Extremely basic actually. It may seem weird to some that there are people who cannot even scramble an egg, but I've learned from experience that these people do exist. When my neighbor came flying out her house with a smoking pan, it had simply contained olive oil and water for boiling pasta but she'd turned on her stove and forgotten all about it. It became apparent that people can even burn water if given the opportunity.

Everything you need to know about cooking is in this book. From kitchen set-up and equipment to simple tips like reading a recipe completely before getting started, Cooking for Geeks has everything you need to start preparing home-cooked meals.

The book offers more than 400 pages of tips, recipes and even interviews with geeks of today. I loved reading Mythbuster's Adam Savage share his love of science and cooking. Learn easy recipes like a 30-Second Chocolate Cake or ones that may seem a little tougher like Butterflied Chicken. By the time you're done, you'll understand that kitchen and be able to whip together nutritious meals for yourself and others.

It's a very rare event that I come across a review book that I feel I must rush out and purchase a copy as soon as it is released. This is one of those situations. I can't imagine NOT owning this cookbook and I love to cook and know more than the basics already. With outstanding recipes, entertaining interviews and witty writing, this is definitely a book you should hand your friends, family and especially neighbors who do come running out of their home with flaming pans.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2010 3:52:15 PM PDT
Clare Stokes says:
I, personally, have burned lemonade!

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 3:53:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2010 3:54:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 2:21:41 AM PST
Ms. Bunny says:
Thank you for the great review! When I read the description, Alton was the first one I thought of. It's great to know that I'd enjoy this book based on it's similar style. :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:52:51 PM PST
Thanks for this review--"I wonder if this is anything like Good Eats" was my first thought on seeing the title of this book. I'll definitely be checking it out!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 12:39:24 PM PST
I'm buying this book because of this amazing review! Thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 10:52:45 AM PST
Well, a friend of mine once put spice in boiling water to make the room smell good and then had a nap--result was a fire dept. call when it boiled dry and the fire alarm went off.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 6:31:40 PM PDT
Excellent review, thank you, and I confirm that not even olive oil is needed: my stepdaughter set our kitchen on fire while trying to boil just water, no olive oil.

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 7:35:29 AM PDT
rareoopdvds says:
I have burned water before. Yes, it only takes a moment of distraction to forget about it. Water and fire and can ruin a pan more than any burnt food.

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 12:31:52 PM PST
Burning water.. very funny, and funnier because we know exactly what you mean....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›