Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars No Extended Cut, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Three-Disc Ultimate Edition) (DVD)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. As you know, Warner Brothers has officially announced the Ultimate Editions of years 5 and 6. The product descriptions are quite wordy. There's a lot of talk about how fans should be excited about these new releases. But there are two words missing from the descriptions of both these products: Extended Cut.

What sold me and so many other fans was the extended cuts. And so I began collecting the Ultimate Editions. And what excited me even more was the idea of more extended cuts to come, especially for The Order of the Phoenix.

Then Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblit of fire Ultimate Editions came out, and of course, there were no extended cuts. And Warner Bros. spun us a tale of directors and their creative preferences. And so, we all said "fair enough" (although I, for one, never quite bought that explanation). Still, I had hopes for Order of the phonex and Half blood prince. Director David Yates is on record talking about having to cut 45 minutes from The Order of the Phoenix. And yet, here we are again with no extended cut to speak of. I'm sure the studio will spin us a tale of how busy Yates has been with the final installment of the franchise, thus making it impossible to return to these previous films and give the fans what they want,AN EXTENDED CUT.

I understand Warner Bros. desire to get these editions on the shelves before the final film hits theaters. As for me, I would gladly wait a year for these editions if it meant getting to see extended cuts of the films. But this is not about the fans. This is about the bottom line. If the WB can get a half-@$$ product onto the shelves sooner, and therefore presumably make more money in the final season of Potter movie mania, then who cares what the fans want? We will buy anything with the word Ultimate in front of it. Or maybe not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2011 6:05:36 AM PDT
myaeger says:
I agree with you, the only reason I even bought the ultimate editions were the extended versions I was very disappointed that 3 and 4 didn't have them and now 5 and 6? what's the point of buying them then?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 7:24:55 PM PDT
Warner Bros is the bad guy here. They did the same thing with The Lord Of The Rings with the blueray version: they could have offered both the theater version and the extented version in the same package. Instead they chose to do the same thing that they did for the dvd version: first the theater version, then the extented version, then the extended versions with the figures. They are only in it for the money. I hope that some time in the future they release the Harry Potter extended versions for the true sake of art. I have the feeling that for Warner Bros. selling potatoes and dvds is the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 1:22:32 PM PDT
D. Petersen says:
I am in full agreement. I bought the first two UEs because I thought they were finally releasing the extended cuts for all the films. Then we find out the rest aren't extended, which is ridiculous. I decided to just keep the first two and not buy the rest until we finally get extended cuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 11:16:19 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 3:12:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2011 3:13:15 PM PDT
YoMamma'sLDS says:
I agree. I have the first two UEs, but will wait until WB releases the extended cuts of the rest of the films before buying. I am grateful to the people here for posting about the lack of extended cuts in the 3-6 Harry Potter films; I was set to get them all. Now that I know they are not all that "ultimate", I'll wait. And let WB know how I feel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2011 11:11:26 PM PDT
beatles88 says:
Yeah really, there HAS to be many more scenes that have never been seen before, not even in the longer ABC Family versions. One example is Krum not being in Deathly Hallows part 1 film or the deleted scenes, yet we know they filmed scenes with him at the wedding. I don't get why they won't release extra long versions of the films. Perhaps they're waiting until after DH Part 2. These companies love double dipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2011 1:15:34 PM PDT
I agree with you. I'm tired of hearing all the whining. We get it. You want extended editions. Cuaron, Newell, and Yates have all stated that they made the films they wanted to make. There was no need for an extended cut because it's their films and they made it the way they thought was best. Now, on Deathly Hallows, Yates may do it differently. Who knows? We don't have details yet. Bottom line, what's done is done. These people begging for more after the releases just encourages the studios to double dip more. They're adding fuel to the fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 11:59:05 PM PDT
I call it lame, if the director actually says that. Thank goodness not all directors feel that way. Usually, at least part of the movie that is cut out is cut for timing purposes (ppl have shorter and shorter attention spans). I am so thankful for those who have put out extended versions of their movies, adding more to what was already well liked. I loved every extended version of LoTR (and bought each one and still kept the original version). I was so looking forward to the other HP ultimate editions, but I had noticed the same thing, no extended cut. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the extras on the disks. And if I do watch the extras, I never watch them more than once. The movies, I will watch over and over and over. So, even though I have 1 and 2, I won't get the others since there isn't an extended version in any of them. I don't need/require all the other stuff, the main reason I bought them was for the extended cut, everything else was a bonus.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 10:35:30 AM PDT
Kiwi says:
I also agree! the only reason to buy them, except for the cool cards, is to see an extended version! I still remember when they said they weren't going to pull a "Lord of the Rings" extension; but I see they did -- at least for a short time.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 7:50:37 AM PST
Well, the All the Harry Potter movies are now going on moratorium in December, after the release of Deathly Hallows Part 2, but fortunately this isn't in the same way as Disney places its titles on moratorium for 10 years or so. Sometime in mid 2012 Warners are re-releasing all the Harry Potter films in new special edition versions with extras not present in current releases.

I too made the mistake of purchasing the third and fourth films in UE, thinking these would be extended as well, and subsequently haven't bothered with Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. i'm going to wait until 2012 when the Ultimate Editions of Hallows parts 1 & 2 will be released, as I suspect will first six Ultimate Editions (hopefully 3 & 4 as extended versions). Guess we have to wait and see.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›