Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits over glasses, shades are replacable!, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Hobart 770129 Oxy/Acet, Goggle - Flip Front, 50mm Eye Cup Shade 5 (Tools & Home Improvement)
Pros :

Filters are easily removed, and can be replaced with darker filters (e.g. #14 for viewing the sun)
Fits over glasses
Vents (4 of them) to prevent fogging
Flip up design convenient

Cons :

Not very flexible, does not fit well on the sides
Bottom part cuts rather uncomfortably into my cheeks

Long description :

I was very amused to read in the reviews that hardly anyone bought this for eye protection or welding. Most seem to find it a great costume accessory. It does look like a pretty good prop for a mad scientist or steampunk costume. I didn't get it for welding either - I bought it assuming that the filters can be replaced with #14 filters so that they can be used for viewing the sun, and I'm happy to find out my assumption is correct.

The other nice thing about this goggles is that it fits over prescription glasses easily, something I specifically looked for.

The flip up element consists of one plastic lens in front, and the 50mm #5 green glass filter behind it. They're held in place with a plastic ring that screws into a plastic thread to hold them in place. The goggles part is also removable using the same ring attachment, and consists of one plastic lens. There are two notches on the ring for fingerhold when unscrewing / replacing the ring. See the photo (one lens removed) for a better description.

There are two vents above and two below. They're angled to prevent most dust from entering. I'm not sure that makes much of a difference, though, because there are large gaps on the upper left and right corners (near my temples) large enough for me to stick my fingers in easily. I also tried the goggles on while wearing a disposable 3M N95 mask. It fits about as well as when I'm not wearing the mask, and the mask cushions my cheek somewhat, making it actually a little more comfortable.

Which brings me to my next point - I don't see myself wearing this for more than 1/2 hour, as it digs into my cheeks. Field of view is somewhat restricted, though the 50mm lens means that it is quite usable.

Overall, I'd say this is a good buy at the price for either as a costume accessory, for general eye protection, and for viewing the sun if you replace the #5 filter with a #14 (next total eclipse in North America - August 21, 2017!) especially for those who wear prescription glasses. If it had been more comfortable, I'd give it a 5. As it is, I'd give it a 4 for utility and 5 for value.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2012 3:54:08 PM PDT
Hello, i just bought this product Hobart 770129 Oxy/Acet, Goggle - Flip Front, 50mm Eye Cup Shade 5. I saw that you commented that you can replace the filters with a #14 welders to view the sun. I would like to ask if you know where to buy the #14 filters that fit this goggles?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:11:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 4:14:19 PM PDT
Lenny says:
Hi, Erick. I've found two sources so far, both online (and probably won't be on time for the Venus transit). There's one right here on Amazon by a 3rd party - 50mm Circular Welding Lens, Green IR Shade 14, and another by VS Eyewear. I even found one on Sear's Marketplace. The filters are fairly inexpensive (between $2.50 to $5.00 each) but shipping is between $5 to $10. I'm hoping to find a filter at a local store, but I'm not sure if they have such a dark shade.

Another DIY alternative is to cut your own 50mm filter from a sheet of black polymer (again, the only source I know is online and won't be in time for the Venus transit). I happen to have a 2 inch circular punch / cutter that should cut it into the correct size for this.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 1:27:10 PM PDT
Pichan says:
Excellent review and well-annotated picture, Lenny...thank you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›