1.0 out of 5 stars Can I please just not like this book?, January 15, 2012
This review is from: The Seamstress (Paperback)
I've been trying to give this book 2 stars for the last year, but that doesn't seem to work, so I'm dropping it to 1 star. There are better books to read about WWII and/or Ravensbruck experiences. I wrote this before, but got slammed because I think I used the wrong words. Nonetheless, for those of you who feel the need to defend the book, I am not attacking it, I am reviewing it.

I have read a good number of MEMOIRS from a number of different perspectives written by people from all different backgrounds- Jewish, Christian, German, Polish, Hungarian, etc. Some were good, some not so good. After reading excellent accounts like The Hiding Place and Rena's Promise, I found the constant comparison in The Seamstress between Ms. Tuvel's plight and the conditions of those around her to be tiring and at times offensive, especially to those of us who have had parents or grandparents in German-occupied Europe in WWII. I understand this is a memoir written from an individual perspective; I am reviewing the book from MY perspective and it was my least favorite on a long list of WWII memoirs that I have read.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2012 5:33:37 AM PDT
K. True says:
Refreshing to have a totally honest review! Thank you for your take on it. (I have not read the book)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 8:56:36 AM PDT
Sandy says:
If you are looking for an alternative memoir-type pertaining to this subject matter, I would suggest The Hiding Place, Rena's Promise, and/or The Nazi Officer's Wife. The Hiding Place is written more like a novel or story, but covers Corrie ten Boom's time in Ravensbruck with her sister. Of these three books, I liked Rena's Promise the best. It is just an incredible story of survival in Auschwitz and Birkenau.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:10:07 AM PST
If you've not read the book, how do you now it's a totally honest review? Given that 87 reviews were 5 stars, and this is the ONLY 1 star, perhaps the reviewer may be a bit biased? How could so many others be so far off base?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:23:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:29:03 AM PST
Sandy says:
I think the purpose of Amazon customer reviews is for honest customer reviews. What advantage would there be to giving a dishonest review? I find it somewhat pathetic, for lack of a better word, that you feel the need to defend your book on an Amazon review. Some people like your book, some people don't. I'm giving it one star based on my comparison with other memoirs I've read on the same subject. You're a published author; surely you've had experience with negative reviews prior to my humble Amazon review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 11:47:34 AM PST
Perhaps the reason there are so few one star reviews has something to do with the abuse and anger directed at anyone who gives a negative review.

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 1:36:17 PM PDT
I clicked on this one-star review to find out WHY you didn't like it ... but there was no reason given, except that you liked other books better. Please tell us why you didn't like it. "tiring and offensive" ... what do you mean?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2013 4:42:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2013 5:00:45 PM PDT
Sandy says:
I had a whole list of reasons why I didn't like it, but the author kept responding to my review to suggest my opinion was somehow flawed. It was offensive at times because the book seemed to go to great lengths to minimize the suffering of *everyone* non-Jewish. Pain and suffering is pain and suffering regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, etc., and I grew tired of the incessant comparisons that eventually gave the impression of being added to the story to make Ms. Tuvel's experience the worst experience in all of history. The offense was simply as stated above- for anyone who had relatives in German-occupied Europe and/or were imprisoned, starved, tortured, etc. during that time, suggesting that their time in Ravensbruck was a walk in the park because they were not Jewish could be offensive to some as it was to me. As the author pointed out, however, 87 other people thought the book was just fabulous, so my opinion is definitely biased... as is the author's account of the events that transpired in WWII. That's what a memoir is after all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2013 5:13:42 PM PDT
OK, that's what I was asking about. Thanks for the clarification.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2014 4:15:32 PM PDT
Where did the author, who died before the book was published, respond to your review? I see none here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2014 6:15:07 PM PDT
Sandy says:
I was referring to one of the contributors of the book who responded to a review I had written previously and again to my current review and she is very much alive.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (161 customer reviews)

$16.00 $13.37