Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Life Gear LG530 Highland Tactical LED Flashlight with Red Tail Emergency Flasher, 700 Lumens (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought the 4-flashlight combo, 700 lumen, 400 lumen, and two 80 lumen. The build quality is excellent. The 700 and 400 ones definitely feel & look like it's well worth over $100 each. With that said, I would not buy these flashlights if I had to pay $100+ each. Not because they are not worth the money...only because I am not really into fancy tactical flashlights. The only reason I bought these is because I got an excellent deal at $120 for the combo from a membership warehouse.

The benefit that these flashlights use commonly available C & AA batteries cannot be overstated. I've had a $40 Smith & Wesson compact flashlight that uses a more specialized battery, which costs over $10 each battery. So, beware of flashlights that use specialized batteries.

I will be putting the 700 underneath the bed for both emergency lighting and even self-defense because it feels like a police baton on steroid. Also, I read it somewhere that when in strobe mode, it can blind or disorient an attacker.

The 400 one is just the right size for frequent use. Comfortable to hold in hand firmly and it's almost as bright as the 700. Finally, the two 80 lumen ones are good to store a car's glove compartment. I do think the size of 80 is a bit large for it only takes one AA battery. It can be a bit smaller.

============Update==================
Finally it's dark and I played with these flashlights. I eyeballed the brightness of 400 at about 70% or 80% of the 700. BTW, I don't think the visual perception of brightness rating is linear. So, don't expect a 800 lumen to be twice as bright as the 400 lumen. My other $5 flashlight with 150 lumen looks (visual perception) about 50% as bright as the 700. So, before you spend $100+ to buy a 700 lumen flashlight, keep this in mind.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2012 11:37:13 AM PDT
J. F. II says:
Which "membership warehouse" did you find the 4-pack at?

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:17:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 9:30:59 AM PDT
WT Door says:
Mr Hsu: Allow me to repeat J. Franzone's question now that Instapundit has generated a lot of interest in this very highly reviewed brand: Where did you find the 4-pack Combo? Costco offers a 400 lumen pack of 2 online; and, BJs sells one 400 lumen solo online. They may be selling these at their stores also, but not likely since I cruise that aisle almost every weekend. Stores CAN differ a bit in their merchandise I know... but don't seem to in my area. Googled Sam's and nada on Life Gear. So, did you get your 4-pack in a Costco or BJs store? Or elsewhere?

Great review btw, Mr Hsu! Spiked my interest in buying a 4-pack Combo -- if only I can find where it's sold.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 3:09:00 PM PDT
C. LeBlanc says:
Looks like he probably purchased it at Costco. Unfortunately the deal is now discontinued.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 3:20:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 3:24:16 PM PDT
WT Door says:
Thanks Mr LeB! Looks like we mighta missed a good deal on some high quality flashlights -- although to be frank that's more flashlights than I truly need considering that big honker. Seeing the video is a deal breaker. I got enough lumens to light Yankee Stadium already. 4 small-ish lights is something I'd consider.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:15:58 PM PDT
DB62 says:
Regarding Mr. T. Hsu's comment, "I don't think the visual perception of brightness rating is linear."

That is absolutely correct.
Visually, with your eye, you will not perceive an 800 lumen flashlight, as being twice as bright as a 400 lumen flashlight.
The biggest visual trait you will see is a flashlight with a well focused hot spot, as those will have a superior throw!
For instance, comparing the Life Gear 1000 lumen flashlight & the Fenix TK60 800 lumen flashlight.
The Life Gear (1000 lumen) is a brighter flashlight, but with a much lesser defined hot spot.
The Fenix TK60 has an excellently focused hot spot, and has a much longer throw.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 2:33:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 2:34:01 PM PST
All of this talk about flashlight lumens, hot spot and throw makes me think about playing Alan Wake!

Thanks for the great reviews and very helpful comments. I think I will snag the 2 pack at costco. What do I do with my old patrol style maglight? No need for the 4 D battery hog anymore.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›