Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a comprehensive language game experience on the DS., November 16, 2007
This review is from: My Word Coach - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
While some other "nongames" provide limited access to linguistics-based challenges, this is the first I've seen to really capture the joy of engaging with language. I am seriously impressed with this title, and I've been recommending it to parents and colleagues alike.

The good stuff:
- All six training games are engaging, and they never get old, since the words are always changing.
- Even the games that focus on spelling are simultaneously engaging you with definitions.
- The training games feel intuitive with the DS stylus, moreso than I imagine the Wii Remote might feel.
- The games are physically fun to play. Move, arrange, rotate, or draw objects. It's more than just writing.
- The game has intelligently tracked my vocabulary level; I constantly feel challenged, but not overwhelmed.
- The unlocks come frequently, but the pacing is deliberately gradual to retain words in active memory.
- A great experience for 10-30 minutes a day.

What to watch out for:
- As far as I can tell, there is no left-handed support for the one training game where you hold the DS vertically. This is actually a pretty unforgivable oversight. If you are left-handed, you may want to think twice about this purchase.
- Remember that you can turn off the music in the settings screen, and that you will probably want to.

Another review mentioned the lack of pronunciation guide as a problem. I agree that it's a missed opportunity, but it's not a dealbreaker. The lack of southpaw support might be, though, if you happen to be left-handed.

NOTE: comments below indicate varying levels of comfort/success with left-handedness. Your mileage may vary! Someone I know personally had great difficulty attempting one of the six modes left-handed. That's the only reason I mention it at all.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2007 7:24:52 AM PST
MangaReader says:
I love this game and I am left handed and I have no trouble at all with this game.

Posted on Dec 7, 2007 5:37:19 PM PST
Terri says:
You have to be left-handed to know if it would be a problem! I am left-handed and I, like others who are also, learn to adapt. For alot of us, and those of us who are ambi, it's not a problem at all!

Posted on Jan 22, 2009 3:44:05 PM PST
I am also left-handed, and while I can fly through the other exercises with a lot of bonus time, I am always penalized for the game in question (Block Letters). Being stubborn though, it just makes be try that one even more. (Last time I only ran over by 3 seconds). So maybe in addition to improving my vocabulary, it is also helping to make me ambidextrous. ;) Maybe I should invest in "Left Brain, Right Brain," too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 4:34:04 PM PST
L. SOWERS says:
I thought it was just not possible to get through block letters in the time allotted. Have had to wait for the letters to fall so I could get the last word done. Didn't think it was my lefthandedness causing it.
What I'm irked with is that it is keeping me sitting at 99% for and 15000 words for 10 days now. That professor Archibald is a real meanie!

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 2:26:41 PM PDT
D. Champlin says:
Thank you - - - All you lefties out there. I was going to get this game for my son and I to work with this summer to keep him active during the summer months. I almost didn't by it because of the left handed comment, but now I will purchase it. My son is a lefty and I'm an ambi so I usually don't have troubles but he's still learning. Thanks again lefties for your comments. :0)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›