Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at first. Won't light after 8 months., June 11, 2011
This review is from: Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I thought I'd invested a little extra money for convenience and durability. Wrong.
While the TS4000 I purchased from Amazon worked flawlessly for 8-10 hours of use, it won't start at all after having sat idle for 8 months. When I start it 'manually' via an aim-n-flame, it has a broad fan-shaped flame that doesn't heat property.

I guess the instruction manual should have said to test the TS4000 before each job, as it is not a dependable tool. Now I'm stuck with no water, an upset pregnant wife, and a run to Lowes to pick up another 'disposable' torch.

Shame on Bernzomatic.

UPDATE: The broad fan-like flame was caused by some "micro-webs" in the neck of the torch. While they didn't look like they could possibly block the airflow, I guess they were sufficient to disrupt the swirling mixture of air/propane. I blew them out with some compressed air and the TS40000 is acting like new. I now store the "torch" in a large zip-top freezer bag to keep out the beasties.

Shame on me for blaming Bernzomatic for my spider.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2011 6:37:55 PM PDT
Wayne says:
I had the same "broad fan-shaped flame" problem with a different model that's a couple of decades old. It heated well enough for sweat fittings if you were willing to spend at least 5 minutes per fitting. In retrospect, I should have used a much older and cheaper propane head, since propane should burn hotter than that defective flame.

If anybody has a clue what causes the problem, please post something. I would have called the company, but I figured mine's old enough.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 9:53:32 AM PDT
J. Paul says:
You are my hero! I just use this to light my older BBQ grill and it stopped working. I blew through the thing and Bam it works :)
Now I don't need to shop for a replacement anymore, thanks.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 10:35:29 AM PST
Savedsol says:
Yes, yes, yes!!! Worked like a charm! Mine wouldn't even light on it's own, had to use a lighter, but when it did it was a big flame. Compressed air through it and it ignites itself and is back to being a torch!

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 5:26:38 PM PST
James Bro says:
Many Thanks! I was just getting ready to order another TS4000 because of the wide flame and inconsistent starts. I blew it out and it works. Also on my torch tip the diffuser had slipped forward. I took a pair of hemostat pliers and pulled it toward the back side of the tip.

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 11:46:56 AM PDT
You inspired me to fix mine. It had gotten a little corroded from being out in humid weather and the trigger was sticking. I sprayed a little silicone spray between the trigger and the cast aluminum body. Started working like new again. Can't believe for the price Bernzomatic doesn't have some FAQ's on how to troubleshoot their torch heads. I'm assuming the silicone will be compatible with whatever seal material is inside of the head.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2013 1:48:52 PM PDT
Wayne says:
Technically, people would have to ask them that question frequently. What constituted "frequently" made sense in Usenet, but not for websites. Customer support might know the answer if people ask it, but getting the message to higher ups so that it trickles back down to the website designers is easier said than done.

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 8:21:31 AM PST
K. Stockton says:
Thank You so much for posting your update!!! Same problem with mine, now it works like new again!!! I was heading out to get a replacement and you saved me time and money!!

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 9:49:27 AM PST
George Eaton says:
Thanks for honest self correction - most honorable, Scott

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:15:18 PM PDT
Shawn L. says:
I just wanted to add to the posts that thanked you for your update. You saved me (along with many others, I'm sure) from having to buy another one of these products and restored my faith in Bernzomatic.

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 9:46:48 PM PDT
Here I was on Amazon, looking for a new torch head due to the exact same issue that you're describing. I took off the tip to look inside and sure enough there were a bunch of small spider webs. I blew it out and it works like new again. Thanks so much for your review!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›