1,032 of 1,057 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the hype!, September 18, 2006
Okay, to some the idea of using a French press coffee maker is a little too precious, bordering on snobbishness. I used to be in that boat until a few hours ago. Tonight on a whim, I purchased this Bodum French press. Now I should warn you readers that it is generally NOT a good idea to test out your shiny new french press when you are getting home at 10:30pm on a Monday after spending way too much money at Target when you just ran in to get "dog food". I write this review so heavily caffienated that I will probably stay up until dawn tonight re-organizing my closets or alphabetizing my CD collection or doing some other useless task. Despite being a daily coffee drinker (of the muddy variety the office's Bunn machine churns out), one cup from the french press has knocked me into the stratosphere, and that alone is worth giving this product 5 stars.

My caffiene overdose aside, this press produces the best coffee I have ever had at home, and it truly rivals or surpasses coffee I've had at coffee houses. It's slightly more involved than using an automatic maker, but not difficult at all. The unit itself is pretty sturdy, and looks lovely.

French press coffee is a great alternative to using those smaller 1-2 cup automatic drip makers. Being single, I've gone through my share of those, and the coffee they make alway seems about ten times worse than the coffee from a normal-sized drip maker. If you like to make a large pot of coffee and drink it throughout the morning, I would suggest picking up a good quality carafe or thermos to keep the coffee warm.

Pros:

-Best tasting coffee you'll ever have at home, period.

-Strong, full bodied flavor

-Pretty easy to prepare

-Impress your friends with your snobby european coffee-making ways :) (looks good on your counter too)

-Great for making small amounts of coffee, for one or two people.

-Priced about the same as a ho-hum auto drip coffee maker with no extra bells and whistles, yet makes coffee a million times better.

Cons:

-More cleanup than using a automatic drip maker

-No heating element to keep coffee warm. Use a thermos/carafe if you want to sip several cups over a few hours.

- 8-cup capacity is based on a 4oz beverage size. Not really a "con" but something you should be aware of. If you had a large group you were making coffee for, it might get a little tedious to be constantly making a fresh batch of coffee.

Couple other notes: Coarsely ground coffee is recommended. This is no problem for people that already buy whole bean and grind their own, but it will be an extra step for some people. Also, I recommend picking up an Aerolatte milk frother if you want to make truly effortless cappuchino. I find that there's plenty of time to warm some milk in the microwave and froth it up while the coffee brews for 4 mintues. A $20 Aerolatte milk frother + $24 french press = coffeehouse coffee at home, whenever you want it. That's really a tiny investment for coffeehouse quality java!

I also purchased a smaller 1-cup Bodum press to take to work. Tomorrow I plan to smile smugly while my co-workers chug down the crap that comes out of the Bunn machine. If my boss is really nice, I may let him use it too. Maybe.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2009 5:21:38 AM PST
Hahahaha
I LOVE your writing style and use of humor!!
Thanks for the easy and informative review.

I love my "3-cup" (3 mini cups!) french press and I agree that it is just oh-so pretty on the counter and has real snob appeal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2009 10:20:25 AM PDT
Deb Sweetman says:
You have a GREAt sense of humor... and you should be a writer! I thoroughly enjoyed your review!!!!!!!

I am buying the snobbish 8 cup..can't wait!!

Deb Sweetman :)

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 12:17:38 PM PDT
Truly an enjoyable review to read & informative as well, thanks!

Posted on May 24, 2009 12:10:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2009 12:10:45 PM PDT
June DeSena says:
Well, Lynn, your comments certainly were 'useful," which is refreshing. How so, you may ask? Having crawled up to my home, exhausted but knowing that I had 13 hours to go before bedtime, I greedly reached for my French pressed coffee maker. No snob appeal present, just a desperate need to stay awake. The only problem was that somehow the pot slipped out of my hand, smashing against my tile floor.

I simply closed my eyes, gently shook my head in disbelief as the tingling sound slowly disapated into the silence of the room. Opening my eyes, I had to face the cold fact that this was the third pot I've broken in the past 6 months. Maybe it wasn't met to be for me. Oh gosh, I'm going to give coffee. Who needs it anyhow? Me! Right NOW!

I slither over to my computer and begin looking for a pot that would be unbreakable, presentable, quick, easy to clean. Right. And the quaility of coffee I like? Isn't that a factor? Nope, I am tired and just want life to be simple. Impossible with the choices online. I begin clicking away, looking for solid, dependable, distructive proof for this single woman on the run.

Somehow my fingers kept clicking on all the French coffee pots icons. No, I told myself sternly. No, no, no. But, who was listening? Certainly not me as I came upon your 'comment.' I laughed, told myself that I liked this woman's thinking---and her coffee pot was certainly going to be mine. After all, if I can use such a small appliance to prove that I'm a snob, who am I to disagree? So, it WILL sit on my counter as a proud badge of snobbery (hardly me in any way) I'll think of you. First I'll grin, then I'll move much slower as I reach for my pot.

I promise, I won't break it this time. Right. Aren't those promises made daily?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 6:14:47 AM PDT
An excellent writer commenting on the comment of an excellent writer commenting on an excellent French press... if only I had the innate talent these fine people have to add one more layer of excellence. Nonetheless, these comments were also extremely helpful and connected with me in such as way as to cause me to immediately click on the "Add to Shopping Cart" button. Excellent work!

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 8:04:55 PM PST
jcw5002 says:
One of the best and funniest reviews I read on Amazon in weeks!! You are hilarious, thanks for the laugh :)

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 1:53:52 PM PST
12/30/2010 - one of the cutest and funniest reviews I've read. I was out of breath till I was finished; I could FEEL the caffeine!

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 10:38:49 AM PST
Big Daddy says:
Good review. I own one of these too but I can`t write a review nearly as good so I`ll just say that for someone like myself who enjoys a cup of coffee in the late afternoon-early evening, this is the way to go. My only gripe with this pot is that I have broken the glass container twice and at $17.50 a pop, its a costly little thingy so be extra careful when you`re washing it.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 1:26:11 AM PDT
Jo says:
I just wanted to say that while sitting here on dangerously minimal amount of sleep, spanning several days at this particular (albeit unpleasant) pace, I am sitting here laughing my butt off at nearly 1:30 in the morning, when I once again have to get up in less than 5 hours (on a Sunday). Laughing my butt off, I say!!! I appreciate your writing style, and I also relate. Thank you for the humor. Thank you for this very articulate, jovial, fabulously fantastic post! Mind you, I was only bopping on to Amazon to find the best price on this press, and I thought I'd quickly glance at a review for good measure: yours was at the top. With a smile the size of the Cheshire cat, I bid you goodnight. (P.S. Keep up your writing!)

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 11:15:35 PM PDT
miles says:
does anyone know if this can be used to make tea?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›