5.0 out of 5 stars thump on the head to Barbara Walters of THE VIEW, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath (Hardcover)
The insaneness of the ladies of The View made me order this - Barbara Walters and Whoopie Goldberg in essence scolded this woman for writing this book, asking this woman if she had thought about Caroline Kennedy's feelings??!! I was STUNNED!! WHo cares about Caroline Kennedy! Did Jack Kennedy ever think about his own actions - did he think about what he was doing to an impressionable teenager? Did he think about HIS LEGACY and his grandchildren?? SHAME ON YOU BARBARA - but I guess you'll still get invited the Caroline's hoUse to dinner because you did try!!! SHAME ON YOU WHOOPIE - you should have empathy towards someone who was taken advantage of......you're both hypocrites - which is why I am buying this book - I hope this woman makes millions - and that other young women read it - perhaps they will think twice when being manipulated not only by powerful men - but by old ladies who should know better - TWO THUMPS ON THE HEAD - ONE FOR WHOOPIE AND ONE FOR BARBARA!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 127 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2012 10:54:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 11:05:44 AM PST
Karin B. says:

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 11:09:15 AM PST
Zoeeagleeye says:
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saying what needed to be said. You are absolutely right! I'm for the truth. I don't want to live in fairy-tale land. I remember back then so many people hating Jackie for marrying Onassis and practically going into hiding, saying how could she stomach him after her dashing, handsome husband. Well, by now we all know. She wasn't stupid. She knew a whole lot more than anyone realized. People don't want to see someone they admired knocked down. Well, grow up! I say. It's time to realize we are all wonderful and all nasty. It's called being human. It's why we've been given 'forgiveness.' Thanks again for pulling those ladies on The View up short.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 12:10:29 PM PST
J. Skinner says:
I agree. After watching The View be rude and unfair in the interview I went directly to Amazon ordered th book. Shame on the "ladies".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 12:25:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 9:36:36 PM PST
Susan says:

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:25:01 PM PST
HipChick says:
I just watched the interview and was shocked by Barbara Walters, Whoopie and Elisabeth's attitude. Well, I was not too surprised at Elisabeth's attitude. I think Mrs. Alford handled herself well and I too have bought the book.
I am also shocked at some of the people commenting on your review. It amazes me that people can be so judgmental of someone they don't even know.

Is there ever a good time to write a book that is so personal? If so when?
I can only imagine the secrets that hide in Barbara Walter's past. Everyone has secrets.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:40:22 PM PST
Anne Lucas says:
I agree completely about the reception this author received on The View this morning. Here are women who routinely gossip about people and things that they have no personal knowledge of or involvement with and yet they chastise Ms. Alford for telling her own story. Puzzling. I have read the book and found it enlightening about the sexual climate at the Kennedy White House. We've heard from just about everyone else who ever worked there, why not Mimi?

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 5:08:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 5:17:17 PM PST
Bookworm says:
I agree. This woman was not the catalyst for all the JFK trysts. JFK himself was responsible for his behaviour and the legacy left his children. Too bad no one brought up Barbara's own affair with Sen Edward Brooke. Did Barbara care about his family when she decided to tell all?

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 5:57:42 PM PST
D. Boyle says:
Just wanted to say that I agree with you about The View. I was very annoyed with Barbara Walters and Whoopie's attitude. If she can make money telling her story, more power to her. So it's all right for Barbara to write a book about her life and make a ton of money when she already has a ton of money, but it's not right for anyone else? We all know that JFK was a philanderer so why blame his victims/partners? If he was worried about his legacy, he should have stayed faithful.

She was just 19 and probably very naive. He was in his 40's and the President. If there is any fault, it's mostly his.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 8:33:32 PM PST
Jane Miller says:
I stopped watching the View a long time ago. The women on that show are the most self-involved self-centered people on the planet and care only about themselves. Barbara Walter is a name dropper and has the ego the size of a Mac truck. I saw the Meredith Viera interview. This poor woman came across incredibly believable and damaged. She has my sympathy. JFK didn't care about his wife's feelings. She knew about the numerous women. He was a pig. One of his Secret Service agents was interviewed a few years ago. He said that the agents were terrified. JFK would have two hookers at a time come to his hotel room. They were frightened that one of them would kill him. So this isn't news folks so why is The View upset about her book?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 9:14:29 PM PST
Barbara Walters told how she slept her way to the top in her own best-selling book. I'm glad I stopped watching the View.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›