5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle DX's Ability to Display Complex Structures and Form Function of a Bigger Unit., June 11, 2009
This review is from: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless) (Electronics)
Our Family owns 3 Kindles: K1, K2 and we now own Kindle DX.

We rated K1 and K2, 5 stars. K1 got its grade for the seamless Amazon's wireless offering and the superior reading experience. K2 improved form function, introduced Text to Speech functionality and expanded embedded K1's memory.

Why did I order a Kindle DX? I bought a DX for its ability to handle complex written structures. I read financial reports voraciously. Since I can't read these reports on my PC screen or on K2 (text yes, financial statements no), I print out fat financials reports on a daily basis. As soon as I ordered Kindle DX, I sent .pdf files with tables, files and pictures to my DX email address. Does DX end the tyranny of lugging around piles of work material? Let's find out.

Text: I almost had a heart attack. I downloaded a PDF from Edgar Online. Their standard font is just too small for DX. On the second attempt, I used a bigger bold font and it worked perfectly. I now have my Kindle DX magical font. Then I tested the Auto-Rotation feature. That is the DX golden nugget. It works brilliantly! Within a PDF document, auto-rotate to landscape will render the appropriate text size. I tested this feature on the original Edgar Document et voila! I prefer the next page and prev page buttons located at the bottom of the unit in landscape mode. You can't annotate or Highlight in a PDF file. I trust Amazon.Com to deliver this feature in the not too distant future. If not, there goes one star.

Graphs and Tables: I got the Daily livestock Report from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The document has text, boxes, graphs and tables on one page. I auto rotated this newsletter to landscape mode and the rendering reaches perfection.

Pictures: Work of Art! I love the black and white pictures with lots of texture.

Browser: Speed has not increased but the ability to extract Wikipedia material for me is priceless. The size of the screen facilitates reading in the browser.

Form Function: The ability to handle complex structures comes at a cost. The cost is basically the super sizing of the unit. I find the unit to be much easier to hold in the landscape mode. My wife and I will continue to use our K1 and K2 for reading ebooks. I will be using DX for more complex material.

Text to Speech (TTS): I find myself using TTS more and more. Unfortunately on DX, TTS does not work within PDF files. It does on K2. This is a minor issue since I use TTS for ebooks.

Memory: 3,500 books on the DX and an unlimited number of your books saved within the Amazon.com's cloud which can be downloaded at will for free. Some say it is not enough; I say bring a Cray computer on your next vacation.

Don't want: I don't want a backlight on my kindle or touch screen on the reading space.

Wishes: Global wireless access to Kindle Store. Bezos' vision of all books ever written available on Kindle (let's speed this up, please). Sudoku. Add a print to file feature in the browser so that I can clip Wikipedia or other web material to be retrieved within the main menu. Ability to access the documents I have archived on Pixily.

Update 7/10/2009: I have had this unit for almost a month now and I am very comfortable with the bigger and heavier form factor. After a few weeks, the unit feels more comfortable to hold than most hardcovers. I now download most .pdf to the unit and I expect to save in toner and paper cost the cost of the unit over a one year time frame. I use the leather Amazonkindle cover to protect my DX. It works great!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2009 3:45:57 PM PDT
Legalsea says:
Very nice review. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 5:29:52 PM PDT
Thanks. I just discovered I prefer the next page and prev page buttons at the bottom when reading in landscape mode. I find it easier to move through the document. I love this thing.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 6:48:02 PM PDT
M. Burke says:
Good review. As far as the PDF reader lacking certain functions, I hope everyone will pressure Amazon to include features like zooming, functional linking (ToC, etc), and so on in future firmware updates.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 10:28:40 PM PDT
Great review! Amen re: leave off the touchscreen and backlight! I want my battery to last! Mine is coming tomorrow and I will check out complex medical diagrams, charts and tables in PDF. Can't wait!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 8:43:19 AM PDT
Mr. Meisner,

I started cleaning my office from all the PDF insanity I have lying on the floor! Paperless Society.....FREEDOM! I am starting to get a good sense where Amazon is going with this.

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 10:34:53 PM PST
A. Gangar says:
"On the second attempt, I used a bigger bold font and it worked perfectly"

Can you please elaborate on how you were able to use a bigger bold font...I am planning to use the DX mainly to read Annual Reports and Financial Docs on pdf.
Your reply is appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2009 10:52:45 AM PST
A. Gangar.

I copy a document in Word, increase the size of the font and then I print to pdf. After that I transfer to Kindle.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (5,103 customer reviews)
 (2,565)
 (1,204)

Used & New from: $162.40
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Michael Bigger
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Cold Spring Harbor, NY United States