Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Ideas, With Problems, and Poor Writing..., October 13, 2009
This review is from: Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime (Paperback)
So many good reviews. And being positive about this subject is great. But the book does not warrant such high reviews.

Before I get into my opinion of this, let me summarize what this book is about:

De Grey and Rae tackle the problem of aging. They view aging, primarily, as a product of junk that accumulates in the body. The junk happens because of many things: diet, our environment, mutations in our DNA, etc. But primarily because of free radical damage: oxidation. The junk deforms our tissues, both inter and intra-cellularly. It's the hostile environment of oxidation that causes the twisting of proteins in our cells, and makes them deformed and non-funcitonal.

Through the process of oxidation, like a log burning up, we basically become less and less functional as time goes on because of free radical damage. Like the log burning, we don't really have a choice if we want to keep living. Just like the log takes in oxygen to fuel its fire, so too do we take in oxygen to fuel our mitochondria that provides energy to our cells. It's that energy that keeps the cell alive, and keeps us alive. But in the process we are burning up, and dying, just like the log. Mitochondria is the culprit: the energy furnaces which exist in every cell.

In order to thwart aging, we need to clear our bodies of this junk, and reduce mutations in our mitochondria that cause them to malfunction, as well as stop hydrogen peroxide - a free radical - from being systemically released to the rest of the body. Hydrogen peroxide is a byproduct spit out by mitochondria. That is the main cause of systemic oxidation.

As for other diseases like Cancer and AIDS, we need to attack those problems through gene therapy. Delete, transform, etc. particular genes that will alter our response to these things (i.e. delete the gene responsible for producing telomerase in cancer, essentially shutting down tumour proliferation, in theory...).

That's about the jist of the book, but you won't find such a terse summary in there. The book is simply a mess of writing, and the above summary probably makes them look better than they are.

On that note, why 3 stars? The writing is very poor. There are paragraphs I have chopped out and reduced down to 1 sentence. It is very long-in-the-tooth at times. Like another reviewer said, the first portion is just a call for funding, and the last portion of the book is all speculation. And that speculation was very long-winded and lacked sophistication.

Now, onto the ideas in the book. Something positive first... I give credit to De Grey and Rae for taking on a seemingly fresh approach to the biggest medical scourge of life: aging. Aging kills us. They are right. If we can find ways to colonize space, living longer will not be a problem, and it will change our behaviour, particularly toward procreating.

But for everyone giving this such high reviews, you do need to further study physiology, biology, and biochemistry. What's clear is that De Grey certainly has an excellent grasp of these subjects. I was impressed with his overall view of the subject. In order to discuss this topic in such a macro/micro-scopic way that they have, they have expert knowledge of the relevant science.

But some of the ideas are fantastic compared to some of the other treatments being explored. For example, and I know I am not alone on this: his whole approach to curing cancer. Deleting all genes that code for telomerase? And how that basically kills people if you do. In order to thwart shrivelling up and dying, he proposes transplanting telomerase incompetent stem cells into the body, and topping us up with stem cells when we get low. This is both fantastic and unweildly in its application.

One promising treatment for cancer is a designer drug that starves, just tumour cells, of capillary formation. Blood supplies are then cut off, and just the tumour dies, leaving the rest of the healthy tissue alone. In fact, there is a drug, one of the only drugs available, that keeps people alive a little longer where cancer has metastasized in their bones. Basically a death sentence. But the drug works, and extends life sometimes up to 6 months and beyond.

No, that's not a cure, but what De Grey and Rae are proposing is something that will likely cause a lot more damage to the organism than anything else.

But aside from cancer, he skirts over problems with research associated with the ideas he advances. He uses words like "dramatic", etc. to describe things in research he interprets as positive. When, in fact, some of it is not that compelling if you do the research. But he plays it up.

What can we expect though? This is, at times, some hard science, and at other times, complete soft science full of fantastic ideas and arrogance.

Thanks De Grey and Rae for making people aware of the problems with aging, and trying to do something about it. But don't think that what you have proposed in this book is the ticket. It's not. It will be the continued, progressive evolution of multi-disiplinary science on a global scale, with shared ideas that will cure aging, because it is that complex.

But gene therapy, designer drugs, and nano-technology, all of which he mentions, are what is in store for us. These will give us powerful tools to fight disease, and to fight aging.

And what another reviewer said: one of the most important things about aging is diet. Eat healthy, and let your body, a magical thing, do the work for you by delivering all of that good stuff to your tissues.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2011 2:50:47 PM PDT
Floofy says:
"The solution to stopping mitochondria from oxidizing the rest of the body is to transplant it into the nucleus of the cell, shielding it. Basically, fusing the separate mitochondria with the nucleus of the cell: playing an evolutionary god."
-This is incorrect. The idea is called allotopic expression, and it's goal is to insert a backup copy of mitochondrial genes into the nucleus in case of mutations to mitochondrial DNA. This would allow for the rescue of oxidative phosphorylation in mitochondria should a mutation cause its cessation. There is no fusing of mitochondria with the nucleus.

As for curing cancer, the proposal by Aubrey and Michael is called WILT (Whole-body interdiction of lengthening of telomeres). The purpose is to stop telomeres from being lengthened by any molecular mechanism (like telomerase or the less well understood ALT [Alternative lengthening of telomeres]). Cancerous cells would still develop and divide, but they could never divide enough to become pathological. The problem with doing this to every cell in our body is that some, like immune cells and skin cells, require frequent replication, and without their telomeres being lengthened, they will soon enter a state of senescence. The solution, as you pointed out, is to periodically replace these with cells that have normal telomeres. I agree that this is a challenge we will need to overcome, and we will obviously need to conquer this challenge so that WILT won't "cause more damage to the organism than anything else".

Your skepticism is understandable, however. This is definitely the most controversial theory of the book. You are right, there are alternatives and these should be pursued. The risks are high for WILT, so hopefully (as de Grey also pointed out) a different and more safe solution can be found.

I hope this clarified a little bit.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 12:03:41 PM PDT
Amazonman, you were right when you berated the poor writing skills found in Ending Aging. In fact, it was almost unreadable the way the paragraphs dragged on and on forever. Have you considered writing a new book on this topic? I learned more in your pithy review as I did after slogging through deGrey's tome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 10:37:54 AM PDT
Amazonman says:
Thanks Kenneth. Actually I am writing a book and I think it'll be pretty cool! Look for it on Amazon within a year.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 10:40:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 10:40:30 AM PDT
Amazonman says:
Floofy:

I think you might need to read the book again. You see, you're educated on the subject and know the correct science. I'm just reporting what was advanced in the book.

For instance, the stem cell "top up" approach to cancer. In the book, it was described as some Eureka moment that De Grey had. His own brilliant idea! "I've got it!"

Really, read the book again and have a laugh.

Thanks for the comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2013 3:16:04 PM PDT
Judy Smith says:
Amazonman, first in your defense, may I say that I think people are trigger happy with stating that "posts don't add to discussion" (even when said posts are reasonable). No doubt they'll do it to this one too, because I dared to call a spade a spade, ahem..

Secondly, while I didn't grasp your comments re: telomerase, here's an alternative idea I thought of for a cancer solution:

How about pairing Piyush Gupta (discoverer of salinomycin vs. cancer cells),
...with cancer-innovator Angela Zhang
......to enclose salinomycin in the polymers attached to nanoparticles, then aim infrared to melt the polymers & release the salinomycin targetedly? But perhaps only the Chinese would approve such innovations, since it takes miracles to get anything approved in the US.

That way there's double safe-targetedness:
(1) the targetedness of salinomycin's preference for cancer cells
(2) the targetedness of Zhang's nano-polymer innovation

By the way, would you be interested in my vision for anatomical repair clinics of the future, compared to today?

The way i see it, healthcare is remaining in the dark ages because innovators from ALL spectrums (not JUST allopathic med.) persist on remaining inside their separate bubbles instead of combining it all wholistically.

so.. if u r interested in my vision for repair clinics, i'm game.

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 10:07:27 AM PST
Tom G. says:
Thanks for the review, but I don't think that writing a long summary helps in any way. There is already one on the product page, and the subject hardly needs any further introduction.

I would also avoid any judgment on the likelihood of the statements made by the author (and criticizing other reviewers) without mentioning your qualifications in molecular biology. If you are reading this kind of litterature, people will most probably assume you don't have any.

Posted on May 20, 2016 5:50:21 AM PDT
Cara F. says:
I feel there is nothing one can do to "extend life" beyond an individuals genetic code. All a healthy diet can do is "prolong life" or living to whatever your genetic code will allow by not eating "junk". There is plenty we do to shorten life but I feel those are the only things we can correct to living a full life.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›