Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Labor Day Savings with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

909 of 1,085 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating ... and not a little creepy, October 18, 2005
This review is from: The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists (Imitation Leather)
First, a disclaimer, because of the sniping going on about this book: I don't know any of the people portrayed in "The Game." I have no biases in either direction regarding any of them. In fact, I'm a straight (and married) female, so I really have no vested interest in ANY pick-up strategies.

I read "The Game" after seeing a review of it in the newspaper. I was amused and a bit intrigued at the idea of a whole subculture centered around seducing members of the opposite sex -- at the idea of guys who honestly had NO other goals in life.

In a way, it's almost an inspirational story in the beginning. Everyone likes an underdog, and the short, bald guy who's suddenly able to get all the babes is no exception. But it wouldn't be much of a story if there wasn't a dark side to the success. Strauss describes how he loses interest in everything EXCEPT picking up women and in fact feels compelled to hit on them almost constantly. He holds seminars on seduction. He posts to message boards about seduction. He lives in a house full of guys whose sole interest is seduction -- some who spend thousands of dollars attending seminars around the country.

Of course, at the end, he realizes that all the tricks and one-liners he uses to get a woman into bed won't help him when he meets The One. And maybe I'm a bit naive, but isn't that what most of us really want in the end?

Strauss is a fine writer, though not a highly remarkable one. I think the story itself, rather than the writing, is what carries the book. The characters are truly compelling -- especially Mystery, who I almost want to meet to see if he's as irresistable as everyone seems to think. (You have to wonder, though, if his techniques work half so well when the women already know about them.)

So, should guys who can't meet women pick up this book? I don't think so. I -do- believe that some of the advice here could work, such as "negging" -- giving a good-looking girl a subtle put-down to make her want to win you over. I know that, in my single days, I was more intrigued by the guys who weren't under my spell, so to speak. Still, it doesn't make putting people down a nice thing to do.

My problem with this book is that it might be overly seductive to single guys, and draw people in to a rather twisted subculture -- which I think is NOT the author's intent. I also think that the techniques described encourage objectification of women to an extreme, and aren't particularly healthy for guys, either.

It's easy to see how becoming an expert in seduction would sound, well, seductive. But these "expert" philosophies all have one thing in common: They treat women as the enemy. And we're not, I swear!

To summarize: If you're looking for a good read, pick up "The Game." If you're trying to meet women, get some fashion advice and learn how to boost your self-confidence, because magic tricks and insults aren't going to get you into a relationship worth having.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2006 7:49:16 PM PST
CT says:
I'm a single woman in her mid 20's and I second her last line, which I will repeat- "If you're trying to meet women, get some fashion advice and learn how to boost your self-confidence, because magic tricks and insults aren't going to get you into a relationship worth having." Treating a woman with respect won't guarantee you a respectable woman, but disrespecting her will definitely chase away any good catch. Plus, women can sense a guy who's trying to memorize some kinda self-help manual, like this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2007 11:55:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2007 11:55:50 AM PST
"some kinda self-help manual, like this one."
???

Perhaps you should read the book before giving criticism.

Posted on Jan 6, 2007 12:21:00 PM PST
I take issue with some of your points.
"I was amused and a bit intrigued at the idea of... guys who honestly had NO other goals in life."
Right. Because you know these people and you know they have no other goals in life. Because the THOUSANDS of dollars these seminars cost just drop from the sky, instead of say, being EARNED by people with a career. Many, if not most of the guys who attend these classes would need real jobs just to afford them. Some of them may not have many other goals, but I would say that having a career accounts as at least one other goal. Stop judging.

"... all the tricks and one-liners he uses to get a woman into bed won't help him when he meets The One. And maybe I'm a bit naive, but isn't that what most of us really want in the end? "
You are a bit naive. I don't want that. I am polyamorous, as are my partners. People who are just dating right now aren't looking for "The One". Some people are celibate. And many people, myself included, don't believe in marriage at all.

"Still, it doesn't make putting people down a nice thing to do."
Shucks, I bet you've never done anything that wasn't nice. Like say, rejecting someone. Or dumping someone. Or betraying someone. The book is called "The Game" because that's what it is. Everyone's got their techniques to get what they want, women included. I seem to remember another best-seller published about 10 yrs ago by two women, called "The Rules: Time-Tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right". One of the chapters is titled "Rule Five: Don't Call Him and Rarely Return His Calls". That's so sweet and nice, isn't it? And I'm sure they invented that technique, right? No woman does that, right? All's fair in love and war.

"My problem with this book is that it might... draw people in to a rather twisted subculture -- which I think is NOT the author's intent."
Actually, it is. Strauss - or "Style" - also has a mailing list called Stylelife, where he held a contest in July 2006 challenging readers to get dates using his techniques, and another book that recently came out (9/26/06). He still has private workshops and seminars on seduction methods, including his "Annihilation Method". His intention with The Game is to sell the lifestyle and bring more people into his target market so he can sell more products and services.

"... the techniques described encourage objectification of women to an extreme, and aren't particularly healthy for guys, either."
I agree with you there. The whole scoring system of "hot babe" and "super hot babe" is pretty insulting.

"... these "expert" philosophies all have one thing in common: They treat women as the enemy. And we're not, I swear!"
Maybe not, but you sure don't make it easy for us to talk to you (you in the plural sense)! I recommend reading "Self-Made Man: One Woman's Journey into Manhood and Back" by Norah Vincent. She's a columnist who went undercover as a man for 18 months and discovered the boundless rejection and judgement by women that men go through on a daily basis. I think this book should be required reading for all women.

"If you're trying to meet women, get some fashion advice and learn how to boost your self-confidence"
Oh, is that all men need? It doesn't take humor, a playful attitude, a decent job, sensitivity, individuality, good communication skills, understanding, and honesty? All he needs is confidence and a nice pair of shoes, and he is a MADE MAN. Though you've crystallized it so succinctly, somehow I think some men need more help than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2007 11:53:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2007 11:55:33 AM PST
Bo Regard says:
Thank You Soyboy!

Everything this person said was sounding true to me because of my past conditioning, and I was about to give in like I always do, because I'm a Wuss, but you brought to light how hypocritical Women can be.

Women assume because they intuit things about a man, that what they sense is True. Alledgedly they size a man up in less than 30 seconds. How's that for shallow?

Men are human. We have faults. We are weak at times. That doesn't mean we are weak all the time.

Instead of waiting for women to get that, I'm going to learn how to play the Game!

If they only knew...

Posted on Feb 2, 2007 7:28:30 AM PST
Claudio says:
My dear Alexis, these philosophies treat women like enemies because women treat us like enemies, and therefore we conform. Have you ever seen how girls sometime humiliate a guy who was trying to strike a conversation with them? Have you ever seen girls falling like dumbasses for the most stupid guy in a group, the one that makes the most stupid comments, only because he's the one that talks loudest? Have you ever judged a guy after one minute of conversation instead than trying to understand what person he really is? If you answer honestly you will answer yes to all questions, and this is why people read these books and spend money in trying to learn these stupid techniques....
I agree, maybe 1% of women is not like that (and I was lucky enough to meet one) but this is to help guys who maybe are not naturally the AMOG (Alpha Male of the Group) get through to the remaining 99% who are stupid enough to fall for the stupid, loud, brainless AMOG.
Ciao
Claudio

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2007 1:33:04 PM PST
Treating a woman with respect won't guarantee you a respectable woman, but disrespecting her will definitely chase away any good catch. Plus, women can sense a guy who's trying to memorize some kinda self-help manual<<<<

You definitely catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. EXCELLENT hustling!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2007 10:07:29 AM PDT
As a male I agree with Alexis (the OP).

Maybe I am lucky because my father was a good role model for interacting with people. Yes - women are people too. Although I was never in the military, coming from a Marine family (past, present, & future), helps in having self confidence.

The original poster, Alexis, makes a good point: "If you're trying to meet women, get some fashion advice and learn how to boost your self-confidence, because magic tricks and insults aren't going to get you into a relationship worth having."

In my experience, a neat set of clothes and a firm handshake will take you farther in this world than all of the self help books combined.

Not being unfair to you guys, I think it is pitiful that some men need a book to tell them how to meet and interact with women.

It is really not hard to meet and talk to women. It is a natural part of life for men and women to meet and form relationships.

And here is a well known secret: women are really nice people.

Posted on May 22, 2007 7:17:20 PM PDT
I'd just like to thank the lady for offering her point of view. Well written too...

Posted on May 22, 2007 7:18:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2007 7:19:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2007 11:06:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2007 7:49:14 PM PDT
Hey WindyCityReader... You rock! You could write the counterpoint book! (Guys, take a cue from WCR. His Comment is the sexiest thing I've read at Amazon!)

Any woman with healthy self-esteem, self-respect, worth, and awareness can see through the b.s. and it's repelling. She wants more for herself and knows she doesn't have to settle for less. In fact, she isn't afraid to be alone, so you probably won't find her hanging out in the usual meat-market places. Any guy with healthy self-esteem, worth, and awareness doesn't gamble with his self-respect with manipulative behavior and knows that being with a great girl requires him to be great and he's up to it. We benefit from being our best selves and those benefits extend into every area of our lives and the world. How we as individuals do anything is how we do everything and our romantic relationships are not separate from the whole.

Effect is inherent in cause, so if a "relationship" is established on manipulations, the kind of relationship that ends up being created is exactly what it was set up to be (Uh, that would be a sucky one).

Another well-known secret: Genuinely kind, confident, trustworthy guys are very desirable and a hot commodity! Don't wait for someone to be kind first. Remember the old rule about doing until others as you would have them do unto you? And, even if you think someone doesn't deserve your kindness, do it anyway? (Of course, know when to walk away, but you can be kind doing it and you'll like yourself better for it.) (i.e., I believe Martina McBride has a song out right now that's inspired by the words of Mother Theresa regarding this.) Your real power doesn't come from being able to manipulate someone (I'm addressing this to women as well) and then using them. If we manipulate, how will we know if we're really loved or if we just tricked someone into it. Every life is worth more.

Peace.