4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully fast and stable, November 16, 2011
This review is from: AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation) (Personal Computers)
I live in an apartment building with many routers and my own apt. is narrow, but almost 100 feet long with many thick walls etc. I was using the new dual band Asus and was pleased, but needed more responsiveness from 75ft on. A Netgear range explander provided some signal improvement but the whole system slowed.

So, not being an Apple fan at all, I closed my eyes and bought the new Airport Extreme N because I'd read and heard many times about its speed and range and how outstanding they were. I deliberately purchased it so that I could return it without penalty. But I'm not taking it back to the store!

The Asus Black Diamond is a good router - but the Airport Extreme provided a much snappier connection at a notably greater distance. Once settling into position and speed, it is quite stable and impressively solidly built.

Four stars are because of the lack of clarity on the Apple site in finding the installation utility for Windows (7) and the fact that even their tech support wasn't very knowledgeable about Windows installation. The software could be better designed for Windows. Tech support should be more knowledgeable - they wouldn't discuss my Droid finding the router connection - they'd only talk about an iphone!

For Windows - two important hints: As of November, 2011, you are looking for the installation file called Airport Utility 5.5.3 for Windows; google was the fastest way to locate it. There also seems to be difficulty getting the setup utility to recognize the router when on 5g. Just move your connection to 2.4 and I've had no problem having the software recognize the router instantly in case you want to make channel changes etc.

So it's 5 stars for the Airport Extreme and I took back one star because of difficulties in dealing with Apple personnel and their site when it came to setting up for windows and/or any phone other than an iphone.

Louise

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2012 6:24:17 AM PDT
J. Bain says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 5:02:53 PM PDT
Because the Apple Extreme is specifically advertised as supporting both Macs and Windows. If tech support doesn't support what the product supports, then the word "support" becomes quite interpretable. And in my opinion, the same goes for Android vs Iphone although I must admit they don't advertise supporting android as they do windows.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:53:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:56:18 AM PST
S. Marion says:
A well-written review, Louise. Thank you for that.

Also, when we buy tech products, part of what we are buying is support from the company. In this case, Louise felt Apple had not delivered fully on the promise made to Windows users. Thus, it's entirely appropriate for Louise's frustration to be included in her review and weighted into her rating. I especially appreciated Louise's breakdown of the score (5 stars for the product minus one for lackluster Windows support). As an Apple user, that tells me that Louise thinks I will be even more satisfied than she was with this product.

Hats off to Louise from an appreciate reader.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:56:49 PM PST
I ran into a similar issue and was never able to get a windows configuration going. However, I have iPhones at the house and you can configure the devices easily using a handset. I have two of these units, one in the basement and one upstairs being used as a repeater. I wasn't thrilled about the price, but I've had ZERO problems in the nearly 2 years I've had them.

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 11:47:51 AM PDT
M. Fairleigh says:
The latest version of Airport Utility for Windows will only run on Win7 and higher. Does that effectively mean that I can't configure this device if all my PC's are on XP? I'm not interested in trying to do router configuration from a phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 12:11:01 PM PDT
Yeah, not accessible in XP. Not a fan of that, but the phone offers a workaround.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 9:32:52 PM PDT
M. Fairleigh says:
Thank you, Gabrael. So this router doesn't have a web interface like most do, that you can get to by pointing your browser to 192.168.blah.blah?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 7:32:49 AM PDT
If there is one, I have not been successful in finding it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›