4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV and great support., May 2, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L47DT50 47-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
This TV is awesome. Great picture and apps. Hooked to 3d Panasonic Blu Ray player and picture phenomenal. One caveat, the bluetooth for the 3d glasses does not work. Panasonic support has been great working with me in trouble shooting this problem. Panasonic made all arrangements for Tech to come and repair. Will update once fix is complete. UPDATE: Main board was replaced and bluetooth is working now. It was not as bad as it sounds, the Tech brought the right part with him and it took about 30 minutes. I took off 1 star due to the problem but would not hesitate to buy another one of these TVs. I've been waiting for several months for Panasonic to put their 2012 lineup on the market and I'm glad I waited. I have 2 other Panny's and the picture is great on all, but especially this one. Almost forgot, the 3D is spectacular on this TV especially with 3d movies. The 2D to 3D is ok but a little hard on my eyes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 11:22:14 PM PST
Amazon Prime says:
3D is just a passing fad. Most people don't buy TV for the 3D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 3:45:42 AM PST
Santa Walt says:
3D may be a passing fad, but its hard to find a large screen (Over 50") that is not 3D. I wasn't particularly interested in 3D, but could not find anything I wanted that was not 3D, particularly Panasonic, which I have had good luck with in the past.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:35:03 PM PST
Watchman says:
Yep, I did it cause my grandkids were coming to spend the summer plus I thought it would be cool. It was for about 2 dvd's. Even the grandkids didn't care that much for it. Oh well, live and learn.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:37:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013 11:59:00 AM PST
Now that I've been using this TV (TC-L55DT50) for 3 months, there are some note I'd like to share:
- picture quality is definitely strong point of this set - bright and vivid
- "soap opera" effect is almost unnoticeable comparing to Samsung counterpart
- out of the box you have smart TV functionality - Netflix, Amazon video, Vudu, YouTube (those I use regularly)
- exterior, design of this TV is really appealing, I had concern about silver-white frame, but apparently it is really thin and doesn't attract attention at all (and illuminating Panasonic sign on the glass is really cool)
- sound quality is the best from what I've seen (hear, well) from TV so far (but you'd really want to set up external sound for TV that big as 55")
- 3D is awesome - again comparing to Samsung models I've used to watch at my friends

Now, on really annoying things of this TV:
- you turn it on, down there in the volume/internet/status bar you see advertisement - I've bought this thing, this is not public place TV, why is there advertisement? I think it's really ugly decision on part of Panasonic
- all smart TV functionality isn't really smart - application loads slowly, doesn't save they status so if you quit from, say Netflix, to watch other source (like my son's switching to XBox to play game), you'll have to start Netflix again, find movie and so on. Ultimately I'm using applications on Apple TV now - so much for Smart decisions from Panasonic
- applications crashes times to time
- DLNA menu and player have broken logic and all in all interface and software implementation really left much to be desired

Old post: Bought mine (55") on Cyber Monday ($999), 3D didn't worked out of box - after few hours of phone calls (I don't kid - first Square Trade then Panasonic and they had line for 30 minutes). Panasonic requested to send them both (I bought 2 pair of Viera 3D) Glasses to service center (what are the odds of both glasses not working?). I've inspected back of TV and found that Bluetooth module which is responsible for 3D sync with glasses simply was not properly attached (looks like bad engineering). So 1 min with screwdriver and everything works now.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:30:56 AM PST
Great Product, I was really surprised after being told that it was not a quality Tv. After reading reviews and doing the pros and cons I am convinced.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 11:53:39 AM PST
per4max says:
Thinking of purchasing ... Do you still love the TV? I am not familiar with 3D requirements but what is it like to watch HD? Is the 3D a feature you turn on and off? Thanks, Charles

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 9:27:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 9:41:16 PM PST
Watchman says:
Yes, I do still love the TV. My son just bought a 60" plasma GT50 version this Christmas. The 3D is pretty cool but that depends on certain 3d movies. Some 3d movies will freak you out with the things that seem to come out of the screen at you but that's not the norm. Most of the 3D effects, though good are not really all that. You must buy active glasses at ~$70 a pair to watch 3d plus pay the extra $10 or so for the 3D movie. So it can be costly for what many have seen as a short lived fad, as have I. You can watch regular 2d movies in 3d but it's a waste of time. I got the 3D option because my grandkids were coming to stay for the summer and it was cool for about a week. The rest of the time they just would rather watch the bluray version. Most 3D movies have a 3d or 2d version which you can choose to watch when the movie starts. I think the price has come down for the model I bought to make it a good deal. Panasonics are best for not fading at greater viewing angles than a lot of other TV's. That's why I have 3 of them. I had a VIZO that I'd bought with the 1080i for bluray about 6 weeks before I bought the Panny and bought it (it was not 3d though) and I really liked the VIZO picture. When I bought the 3D Panny I gave the 42" Vizio to my daughter and she absolutely loves it. For a while I wish I had kept the VISO as the bluray pic was great and it had all the bells and whistles like usb, wifi, codec features to play mp4 files (limited though as most tv's are for other type files). But yes I still like the Panny. I sorta wished I had gotten the Plasma but went ahead with the led model. My son loves his...so far. I also gave him 2 of the 3 glasses I bought for my grandkids as a Christmas present so he could enjoy his 3D and my grandkids didn't really care that much about using them any way after the first week. They are all girls and like Spongebob and I-Carly so 3D was not such a big deal even with the new 3D movies like Lorax and stuff. 3d is just more expensive with the cost of glasses, 3D movies and maybe the extra cost of the 3d option on the TV. Most of the better 3D movies have been made in the last 3 years. 3D redoes of older movies are IMO worthless. You should pack a lunch and go to Best Buy or a friends house and check a couple of 3D movies to see what you think. For myself, I have only watched 2 -3d movies to the end. One was Resident Evil and the other was the Lorax. I have seen bit of a few others that I bought but that's about it. I haven't watched a 3D movie in 6 months. Bluray works well for me. You may love it as I have a friend who's a little more into the 3D deal but still he does not use it that much either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 11:20:53 AM PST
per4max says:
Thanks ... as a grandfather of three I was also thinking it would be a hit with the grandkids but I think I might pass. I was mostly curious about the the quality when not using the 3D. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 5:48:57 PM PST
Watchman says:
The quality when not using the 3D is great, especially when you play bluray movies or are watching HD channels. Very clear and crisp. Of course your regular channels will still be only as good as your signal.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:16:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2013 3:39:42 AM PDT
H. Collier says:
I still love this TV and have been planning on buying a second of exact same model for daughters room because I haven't found its equal in other manufacturers products so I won't buy another 3D TV for now unless its got all the same features and options as this model has... As for the 3D portion, you have to have a 3D source to watch 3D TV and movies, however with the panasonic Viera tv you can convert your regular TV programs and DVD movies from 2D to 3D, but even with native 3D programming you can turn the 3D function on and off via the switch on the Panasonic Viera 3D glasses so you can watch in normal 2D or 3D mode.. But most 3D DVD and BluRay movies come with both a standard 2D and 3D discs so you can watch the standard 2D movie just like any other movie and don't need active 3D glasses to watch the movie. Typically when you insert a DVD or BluRay disc into your player the TV and player both automatically detect whether the video is 2D or 3D and automatically works and all you have to do is turn on the power on your active 3D glasses and they automatically sync with the DVD player and the TV and your up and running... But if your watching a 3D movie with family and friends and you or one of them decide they want to watch it in 2D rather then 3D you slide the switch to the right and it switches just your view to 2D while everyone else is still watching 3D so that's a really neat function to have selective 2D/3D modes for whoever wants it, or doesn't want it but again you'll still need to wear your glasses.... So if your interested in 3D TV then this model can't be beat and you can't find a comparable TV from another name brand that has all the same specs and features as this TV has without paying a good amount more...

I'm happier with this TV then I could have hoped and it makes the whole 3D thing a lot easier then I thought it would be... It's as simple as 1 2 3 and I mean that literally because its 1) turn on TV and DVD player, 2) insert DVD disc, and 3) turn on 3D glasses and your watching stunning 3D TV or movies and there's no headache of trying to figure out how to make it all work together because it does it all for you.....

Also one other thing to consider when buying a 3D TV is that you have two types to choose from, passive and active 3D versions... Passive TVs use polarized non powered glasses much like you get at a movie theater which one lens is a shade darker then the other, and they are a lot cheaper then active glasses are, HOWEVER you don't really get full 1080 resolution when watching passive 3D, tv video is displayed in horizontal lines, so with passive type glasses one lens sees the even numbered lines like 2,4,6,8,10,12 and so on and the left lens sees the odd numbered lines 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 and so on so technically your only seeing half resolution in each lens which is how the mind is tricked into perceiving there is a 3D picture so you don't get the same depth and picture quality as you would in an active 3D setup, also a lot of people have problems with passive 3D viewing like eye strain and headaches and stuff like that, but with active 3D setups you have full 1080 resolution in both eyes because both eyes see the full 1080 lines, its just your only seeing them out of one eye at a time because the active glasses are battery operated and the lenses on the glasses are actually LCD screens with digital shutters that open and close, when the left LCD shutter is closed the right one is open and when the right shutter is closed the left one is open, but it happens too fast for your eyes to notice so its seamless and more natural and at least in our family theres been no eye strain or headaches or other problems, So anyway with active 3D you get a much better picture without headaches and eye strain and there's mor depth and the picture is crisp and clear, active glasses are a bit more expensive then passive glasses because they aren't just darkened lenses where one lens is darker then the other and of course with batteries, IR or RF bluetooth transmitter/receiver and the LCD screens that have shutters that open and close (its actually more like one lens goes completely black at a time but too fast to see) but again you have people on both sides that prefer active to passive or passive to active 3D setups and its best to go to a place that has demo units that you can try watching in either model so you can see which you prefer and don't let the price of the glasses deter you if you prefer active over passive because you'll end up regretting letting it influence your decision, passize glasses average between 25.00 and $30.00 a pair, give or take a few bucks, and active glasses can range from $40.00 to over $100.00 a pair but you can find good deals at different places if you shop around.... Also there are two types of active 3D setups now, the older IR or infrared TVs and glasses which uses an invisible beam of light from the TV to the glasses so you always have to be turned towards the television for them to work and stay synced up, and the newer RF or radio frequency glasses that use Bluetooth signals to sync glasses to tv, like your cell phone and a Bluetooth earpiece and you don't have to be looking straight at the TV for them to work because you don't need a clear line of sight between the TV and glasses... The active glasses work great, they are easy and fast to charge up, like with the Panasonic Viera TV and glasses, you plug the charging cable into the back of the TV and in 30 minutes they are fully charged and give you about 30 or 35 hours of TV and movie watching, or you can do a quick two minute charge that gives you 3+ hours of TV and movie watching so its quick and easy.... Again there's things to consider when looking to go with 3D televisions but if you don't make a snap decision and do your research and shop around and then take everything into consideration and weigh the PROS and CONS and then decide which is best for you then you'll be really happy with what you end up with and everyone will enjoy the new TV and have many hours of 3D watching fun....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›