3.0 out of 5 stars ProForm TdF 2012 Bike Good, iFIT a Nightmare!, July 12, 2012
This review is from: ProForm Le Tour De France (2012 Model) (Sports)
19 January, 2013 Update...

The bike itself is still solid BUT if you are considering this bike primarily for all the "great" iFit integrations (like the rest of us) be sure to check out iFit on Facebook/Twitter before you buy to see all the customer complaints launched since they upgraded their platform...hard to believe that they're even still in business at this point.

**********************************
Original 2012 Review...

Ordered the new ProForm TdF 2012 (Gen2) bike on Saturday morning from the beach via iPhone app. An additional $3.99 for next day Amazon Prime shipping and the bike delivered to my home via UPS at 10am Monday morning! Signature was required at delivery due to price. Large box, very sturdy packaging. Weighed in at approximately 160lbs so my UPS guy was happy to see I took the morning off of work to help him carry it up to my third floor walk-up.

Assembly was fairly straight forward. Attach stand/stabilizers, handlebars, console, bottle holder, seat post, seat, pedals...done. All hardware and corresponding hex key was included in box. Additional tools needed were a phillips head screwdriver and a ratchet for a bolt on the seat. Two people would greatly ease assembly but I was able to do alone. I'm 6'-2", 200lbs and once assembled the bike felt well put together and very sturdy. No initial concerns with overall build.

Powered bike on, iFit console went through booting process and bike through incline/decline test. All checked out. Easily connected to my home wifi network. Checked for firmware update and already had current version. Next I logged into my new iFit account. No problem there. Was able to download my next scheduled workout and was off and riding.

I'm still tweaking seat post, seat and handlebar positions trying to find a sweet spot but during the ride, again, bike felt very sturdy. The gear paddle shifters are a very nice feature but can be non-responsive at times, get stuck at times, and I do have some worry that they could fail/break easily. Incline/decline worked without issue and was a pretty neat feature.

The console itself, with tiny 3.5" iFit screen, stodgy buttons and the loaded software is underwhelming. The concept, with the maps integration, is a great idea but for the overall price and the current state of tablet/touch technology it feels like a swing and a miss. What will be key here is the iFit LIVE feature to project street view rides onto your iPad or Internet enabled TV. I'm currently using Satechi SCH-121 Cup Holder Mount to mount my iPad in the cup holder. Don't love the fit and miss my water bottle but it will do for now. When testing with the iPad 1, Safari constantly crashed during the ride. iPad 3 works much better with minimal crashing. When it works this is a pretty cool feature...I've biked stages in the Champs, Central Park, Chicago Lakefront, Monterrey Coast and the National Mall in DC already.

Another issue experienced is that every now and then my iFit login credentials are dropped from memory. Thanks to a tip from David in my comments, I've lowered the time and frustration to fix this but still a pain when you're ready to ride and have to wait! The bike really needs a firmware update.

In sum, like others have said...when it works as planned it is a great concept, a great bike thus far BUT for a 2nd generation and the money spent there should not be some of these issues/bugs. Online support and knowledgebase resources are pretty thin too.

UPDATED: 3 August, 2012

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2012 2:41:19 PM PDT
I purchased the product as well and sometimes my credential drops and I have to put in username and password all over again.....I do not have to factory reset and go through everything you mentioned...all you have to do is to into "Wifi" and scroll down...there is a user name/login option where you can re-enter your login credentials.....hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 5:28:26 PM PDT
Thanks for the tip David. That will definitely save me some time/frustration. My login was dropped again last night. This thing is in desperate need of a firmware update!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:43:33 PM PDT
No problem and I agree about the firmware....I love the bike it is cool have to build our own community of support tips....I am using bike to virtually ride across America....so far so good and no issues with the bike yet let me know if there are other issues and happy to help

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:21:34 AM PST
Robert Zeff says:
My ProForm (2nd gen) also forgets the username/password if it is turned off for more than an hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:39:56 PM PST
Hi Robert, Try using David's tip from above to make it a little easier to reset your login credentials: "...all you have to do is go into "Wifi" and scroll down...there is a user name/login option where you can re-enter your login credentials". Worked for me...but still annoyingly buggy!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:06:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 2:12:13 PM PST
Robert Zeff says:
That is the method I've been using, but it is a pain. I will simplify the password for now.

Also, I to want ask support about calibration. I have a couple of rides that I do regularly on my road bike. My road bike has a double/compact in the front and a 12/25 in the rear. I've entered the route on iFit/google maps and find it very difficult to ride, even if I select a triple with a 11/28 in the rear. I selected the lowest grear possible and I have to get out of the saddle and really grind.
I can ride comfortably in the saddle on my road bike in a higher gear. I haven't raised the issue with support since they haven't really responded to the username/password issue.
Thanks,
Robert

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 10:59:45 AM PST
Had my Gen 2 for about a month. Still a PITA to have to log back in every time. Had the same gearing issues as Robert. Put in a bogus user weight of 100 pounds (actually weigh 150) and can now do 20% grades with the triple 11/28 combo. The speeds now are also within about 1/2 MPH of when I do the real ride. The large front gear is now off reality as are the watts/calorie readings but I don't really care. Emailed all these issues to iFit support with no resolution. Just yesterday my WiFi won't go to green despite Test Network showing a good connection. Grrrr.... Other than that it works great. Well, except for the custom mapping issues, problems on the iFit site scheduling work-outs, etc etc... A work in progress.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 1:56:36 PM PST
For a good laugh/cry, be sure to follow iFit on Facebook and Twitter...nothing but hundreds of customers complaining about all the same issues we are experiencing. Such a great concept but perhaps the worst execution and customer service ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 9:42:23 PM PST
Has iFITsaid when they would have a firmware update to resolve these issues?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 11:21:59 AM PST
Robert Zeff says:
That is their answer, "we hope a firmware update will fix this". That's been six months. They never follow up.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.0 out of 5 stars (113 customer reviews)

$1,999.00 $1,424.05