ARRAY(0xa2f97e7c)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Perfect TV, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Well, I use the term 'perfect' by most people's standards. I'm sure professioanl calibrators and very picky videophiles can find numbers to show where there can be a lot of improvement, just as with all tvs, However, I likely represent the majority in what constitutes being considered almost perfect for a tv.

I certainly have not had the tv calibrated or even changed the settings much. However, the picture is stunning as it is and calibration would only make it that much better, although possibly less stunning for those who want that more than realism. :) I would say the contrast is too high and for me personally there seems to be too much of a reddish skin tone, but all of that can be dealt with when I feel like changing settings.

The bottom line is that the picture is great, to my eye the blacks seem very good, audio is the best of any tv I have tried, the price is amazing, the awesome uniformity and viewing angles of plasma, improved motion compared with last year (apparently), etc...

I say the audio is awesome, but keep in mind I have only been using tv speakers for years and years, so I am not comparing with surround systems. As horrible as most tv speakers sound, though, these sound better to me. During normal tv shows, the news, etc... I was thinking it sounds too "off in the distance". But when I watched Sucker Punch and had the volume a bit louder, I was amazed at the bass and just overall substance of audio. Maybe I am mistaking bad audio for good audio just because it's different, but it sounds good to me personally and someone online ahd said Panasonic apparently did some change in speakers, which would explain the differences.

The only negatives I can come up with, which are quite minor, are:
1. Puts out a TON of heat. Even for plasma, it seems much warmed to me than the st30 sets did. Maybe I have it brighter than I did on those though.
2. Only 3 hdmi inputs.
3. Only one hybrid composite/coomponent input. So you can only use ONE out of those two types combined.
4. At first didn't ntoice you have to go to the input list and press an arrow button to set it to component or else if yuo use a component hookup it is treated as composite and the picture is only black and white.
5. No audio/headphone jack. I have tried many tvs from 2011 and a couple 2012 tvs and almost all of them had this, but the Panny does not.

All minor things to deal with in exchange for great picture quality and sound quality. The only way I will be returning it is if I can't get it to stop hurting my head. I've had tons of both plasma and eld sets bothering my head or eyes. This is not much different. It feels like something tightened around my head when I watch it. Maybe flicker, maybe reflections, maybe who knows what else. I'm going to be depressed if I have to return such a great tv because I've tried most everything else and nothing with great picture quality is easy on my head and eyes for some reason.

The GT50 sets come out this month and are likely to be technically better, but not worth the $700 or so extra in cost, I personally believe. On paper, anyway. The only real differences are THX certified mods (which still won't be accurate enough since everyone has different viewing environments), an extra hdmi port, and supposedly twice as many color gradations or w/e it's called. So for $700 you're basically getting an extra port and barely noticable picture changes is my assumption. COuld always be that it ends up better though. :)

Oh i forgot to add this still has the buzzing like the ST30 as far as my set goes. About 5 feet away it was loud enough to hear while watching a movie. I just think the picture is worth all of this. I tried the Sony HX929 and even a second 929 set as well. Both had very slight flashlighting, the blooming is absolutely horrible, as are the uniformity and viewing angles. I think a lot of people who review that set just want to feel it's worth the money when theyr ate it so highly. I do think it's MUCH better at getting rid of flashlighting and bleedthrough than edge lit sets, but it costs double their price as well.

I did not test this tv in 3D yet. I was going to get the 2012 blyetooth panasonic 3d glasses, but I dont want to have to pay to ship them back if I cant keep this tv due to my head issues.

EDIT: lol Just noticed someone on another site sayigng I'm a troll; for mentioning that this puts out a ton of heat. Yes, they caught me. Indeed someone rating this 5 stars is trolling by saying the truth that it puts out more heat than others. i tried several ST30 sets and the Samsung PN51D7000 and never noticed as much heat as this one. now the pastc ouple days I ahve not ntoiced it as MUCH, but it'ss till mroe than those other models. To the point where I feel a layer of heat if I am standing a foot or two from the tv. Definitely not only the back of it. Also the buzzing is louder than I would like and as bad as the 2011 ST sets.

Also I forgot to mention that the anti-reflective layer gets rid of nearly all reflections. It still looks nothing like matte, but it's much better than most other glass screen tvs.

EDIT 2: For whatever reason, the tv seems to be putting out a lot less heat now. I'm not sure why. Maybe related to brightness levels I am using.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2012 9:22:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2012 9:27:00 PM PDT
Meshal says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 1:54:25 AM PDT
A. Person says:
I've returned a lot. Many of them also had defects though so a lot of people would have been returning them anyway. About every 2011 plasma you could get had some kind of issue.

The problem is with me, but that doesn't eman it's obvious which tvs will cause it. On some matte screens I'm fine and also some tvs bother me less than others, even with gloss.

I forgot to mention in the review that this tv idneed has a great filter and so there aren't many bad reflections. I tried the LG 47LM7600 and that had tons of reflections despite the screen not being glass.

I'm just trying whatever I can think of to make this tv work for me. Sitting further back, sitting clsoer, turning motion smoother up or down, changing contrast, etc... I hope somehow I can adjust to it because once you see awesome tvs it's mighty depressing to ahve to return it.

A while back I was getting a brand new 46ST30 for freakin $500 and I had to return that too because of these stupid issues!

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 3:34:27 AM PDT
A. Person says:
Oh, by the way, check this out for weirdness... at one point I had a sony hx729. My head was feeling bad from a plasma. I simply looked at the led screen and it felt like it was immediately melting away my head iessues! Something about the high contrast, I am guessing. Or something was more pure about the light. Something. Because it sure made the tightness in my head get less and less. Maybe that means I could get some kind of light that would relieve this and I could deal with plasma.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 3:49:17 AM PDT
Meshal says:
the st50 is active shutter 3d which probably will make your headache even worse... i only tried one active shutter tv which was the samsung D8000 and i get the headache after playing for only five minutes!!! which is really sucks and was a very bad experience for me... so now i'm considering the passive 3d tvs... most of 2011 models have some issues and i decided to wait for the 2012 models... this year panny has a one model for the passive 3d technology "ET5" and much cheaper than the lg tvs, but there are no reviews so far...
for now, panny and lg passive 2012 models tvs are in the market but also there is toshiba and i'm waiting for their models as well.. i think you should stick with the passive tvs if the head issues bothers you that much ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 5:30:57 AM PDT
Mark F says:
You may have some mild form of epilepsy.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 1:18:13 PM PDT
A. Person says:
I wondered about that since you know they'll always say some can have seizures when watching tv and whatnot. I'll ahve to check out if there's anythignt o do to elssen it if it deos happen to be that. i do know I have found many articles stating that quite a lot of people are having abd effects due to dflicker though and you don't even have to notice the flicker for it to happen. It also said ALL tvs have flicker, whether people see it or not, including leds.

But I wonder why matte screens do much less of this to me if it were any sort of epilepsy.

meshal, yes I know passive is better for me, but I have only watched 2D with this, so it's unrelated to this issue.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 1:22:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012 2:28:35 PM PDT
A. Person says:
Not to self diagnose myself, but a quick search and it does seem possible. It said you can wear polarized glasses which reduce glare... and so if glare is a big cause of this then that explains why glass screeen tvs are doing this to me and not matte ones. But there are too few choices for mattes. Only the lg lw series and the sony hx729 are mattes I would consider and the Sony is still glossy and the lg has a dull dull pic and bad blacks.

Edit: Actually I do doubt it's epilepsy because for that I think it would just be a temporary thing which would go away when you get away from the source. My issue I am having eprsists. i could even go days watching no tv now before it heals itself because it does not go away simply by stopping watching a tv. The effects linger for days. I ahve had tightness in my head every day for weeks now due to all the tvs i tried.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 3:33:55 AM PDT
A. Person says:
I see I was not imagining the good bass sound. I read on Panasonic's site that this has a subwoofer! And that it uses "8 train speakers". It's nice to see a manufacturer actually carign about audio for once. Most of yuo may use speaker systems, but I always use tv speakers so this is a pretty big deal to have better audio in a tv already at such a good price.

And by the way quite a bit of the head issues goes away when I take an alleve, so it's obviously inflamation going on and not anything related to seizures. I'm trying sitting further away and whatever else I can think of because this is the perfect tv for me, other than occasioanlly seeing flicker, and I don't want to have to return it and buy something far less ideal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 7:37:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2012 6:56:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 8:46:56 PM PDT
Ed Stevens says:
Or see a doctor/neurologist !! Strobe lights are notorious for causing people with epilepsy to have a seizure. Florescent lights cause others problems. I'm sure that if you google these issues you'll find plenty of info relating to them, causes, treatments etc.
Good luck to you.