5.0 out of 5 stars My "Heart Centered Marriage", July 24, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Heart Centered Marriage: Fulfilling Our Natural Desire for Sacred Partnership (Paperback)
Only a year and half ago, I announced to my partner that I simply did not believe in marriage, and I would not ever consider it under any circumstances. Today, we are happily married!
When considering marriage, we had discused the pros and cons. It offered the commitment we wanted, but with that came patriarchal gender roles, impossible promises, and, as he put it, "a passionless existence until we died". Well, that certainly did not sound like something we wanted to do. I was a women's studies major in college, how could I possibly fill the role of the silent wife? I could never promise to obey, and neither could he. We wanted to keep our individuality, our spirit, our love, and our passion for one another. Still, we kept feeling the pull of marriage. We wanted to create a safe place for one another and we wanted to create a family.
I was at the brink of giving up. I searched my way through book stores and finally found an autographed copy of &qu! ot;Heart Centered Marriage". I knew that this book offered what I needed. My intuition was right!
For the nest few days, I read fervently, only stopping to read the especially wonderful bits to my partner, who was very supportive. We discussed the ways that marrige was suddenly available to us. We could take part in the creation of a new paradigm for marriage. We could find true 'sacred partnership', as Sue called it, through which we could be enriched, rather than stripped of our individuality. We could promise to communicate, live gently, be present, and commit to one another, with out losing our passions or our spirits. Shortly after the discovery of Sue's book, we decided that we really did believe in marriage after all-as long as it was 'heart centered'.
At some point after our decision to marry, I noticed that Sue's P. O. Box was in Boulder, CO, where I lived at the time. Because I was not willing to let just anybody marry us, I wrote to Sue asking her t! o officiate at our wedding. I never expected to hear back ! from Sue. Imagine my surprise when I found her voice on my answering machine!
Sue Patton Thoele proved to be more than just an author. She became our friend, a witness to our private tears, a supportive force, a gentle guide, and she signed our marriage license, 'Spiritual Mentor'. This is a fitting title, but it could never speak to how much she has meant to us. We are forever grateful for her gentle wit and wisdom. She gave us the courage to redefine our marriage and the strength to use our own voices. I am truly amazed at the new things I learn everyday in my own 'heart centered marriage'.

[Add comment]