5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Picture, Great Features, Flawless Performance, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S30 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
Impressive! Been watching for about 3 weeks now. Not calibrated yet because it's not broken in, but picture is, nevertheless, outstanding.

Whole tv buying process was quite an ordeal. I read about so many things that I should watch out for - burn-in/image retention and break-in for example. Now that we have everything set up I couldn't be happier. I did contact Panasonic about breaking the tv in since there was no mention of it in the manual. Here is their reply:

"When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, the customer should follow the below steps.

1) Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.

2) Change the Picture Mode from Vivid to Standard or Cinema. Cinema would be best.

3) Briefly engage the 4:3 aspect and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.

4) Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).

5) Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.

6) Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.). No fixed image should appear on the TV for more than 15% of the viewing week."

NOTE: Regarding #2 above. I have mine set to Standard picture mode. Contrast is 50% and other settings are lower too. Cinema settings were much higher and I didn't see how that would be a good thing during break-in period. Haven't ironed that out with Panasonic.

I have seen no signs of burn-in/image retention and understand that for the most part this is a problem of the past.

As for motion blur - there isn't any. I was concerned about this when trying to decide on a tv and noticed that this tv's "Moving Picture Resolution" was lower than the higher end models (900 vs. 1080). Yet, interestingly, Panasonic recommends this tv for folks who want to watch sports. It works just fine. I've watched basketball, hockey and tennis (all from HD sources - Comcast HD-Enabled Set-Top-Box) and have seen no blurring whatsoever.

I was just watching a Nature show on PBS - "Bears of the Last Frontier" I think it was called. I wanted to lie down and play dead! Beautiful, sharp picture with accurate colors - and remember this tv hasn't even been calibrated yet - it might get even better once brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. are set the way I like them.

I highly recommend this tv. Excellent choice.

I will keep this post updated as I continue to enjoy this tv.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2011 5:19:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011 5:23:37 AM PDT
jack says:
I've had a panny 50g for 1 1/2 years and am still amazed at the picture. Have never noticed any problem with motion blur or trailing effect but have seen on most other tv's. The current price for the 50 inch is great - I bought mine at 1250 and thought it was a good deal. My TV barely gets warm and
I have no burn in issues. These panny's are the best value out there. There's a lot of hype about other tv's but panny plasmas deliver the picture you want. I did the break in and just put in standard mode and set all of the color and contrast etc settings to the lower end. Picture was still great and is great now. The flesh tones are the most natural I've ever seen and I've watched all sports never even noticing any blur.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›