4.0 out of 5 stars If You're Looking for 3D, Look No Further..., May 17, 2012
This review is from: LG Cinema Screen 55LM7600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If You're Looking for 3D, Look No Further, because I believe at this size, the LG 55LM7600 has probably the best price/performance of any TV on the market. It has a beautiful design that minimizes the footprint it occupies to provide you with a 55" screen. I wish I had gotten the 60" because it probably would have been about the same overall size as my existing Toshiba 55" LED with its big plastic frame around the screen. This TV is razor thin too, so you can easily hang it on a wall.

It's one drawback is that the remote, while innovative and intuitive to use, ends up being somewhat of a hinderance. The shape of the remote causes it to tip over, roll off the couch, etc. It is not well balanced. Also, since you are kind of using it like a computer mouse to control the TV, after a few seconds of non-use the cursor disappears from the TV screen, which means you have to wave the remove around to get the cursor to re-appear. I find this annoying. Since I have Uverse TV service with a universal remote, I instead use the Uverse remote as much as possible, and that mostly alleviates this concern.

The non-3D video performance of this TV is only OK in my opinion. I am comparing this TV to a Toshiba 55UX600U 55" LED TV. The Toshiba picture is insanely good...don't know that I've ever seen one better. And that's straight out of the box with NO tuning whatsoever. The LG 55LM7600 on the other hand definitely needs tuning. I bought the Disney Wow Blu Ray home theatre tuning kit, and that helped improve the picture significantly. My biggest hint is that you want to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 mode to "Just Scan". I also made some small tweaks to contrast, brightness and color.

3D performance on regular programming is OK. The TV adds a little bit of depth (maybe 6-12") to give the illusion that you are watching 3D, at the expense of clarity. The picture gets a little bit blurry. I don't know how useful this feature is, to be honest with you. I like a crystal clear, vibrant picture above all things. We watched the Kentucky Derby in 3D, and then took our glasses off and re-watched it in normal mode. It was much clearer and more pleasing just in normal mode in the opinion of everyone in our family of 5.

3D performance on true 3D programming is wonderful. Easily as good as you would get in any theatre. The amount of 3D content out there is fairly small, and it can be expensive, but I think it is an evolving technology that will become more prevalent. I have tried Uverse on demand 3D and 3D Blu Ray and both are great, with a slight advantage to the 3D Blu Ray.

The advanced capabilities of the TV are excellent. I think surfing the internet natively on the TV is very useful and very well done. I wish it worked with ESPN-3 and some of the other video providers out there, but for basic internet it works great and connects very easily either wirelessly or via LAN cable to your home internet. If you don't have a LAN jack near the TV, powerlink networking can help you put internet connectivity near the TV. You get much higher performance this way vs. wireless which only has a very short range. My TV is 50ft from my Uverse router and only gets about 1/2 bandwidth. This is the same as I get on my Toshiba TV. There are also video services available within the menu system of the TV, so you basically can get anything you want from a content perspective right at your fingertips. There is even some 3D Nature content that my kids like, and it's free.

All in all this TV is a big investment. If 3D is your primary driver, then this TV won't let you down. If you covet a crystal clear picture above all things and 3D is a nice to have, then you may want to compare this TV with a few others first. But make no mistake about it, this TV is a solid set that probably 95% of people will be thrilled to own.

[Add comment]