Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but effective and fun!, November 23, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gold's Gym Dance Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
First I'd like to say I have owned the game for a month, and I've played it pretty regularly but not every day. I haven't changed ANY of my eating habits, and in the 1 month that I have played this, I have lost 12 pounds! On top of that, I have had a blast while exercising, which is something I can't say about most kinds of workouts. If I rated the game on how effective it is for getting you moving, I'd give it 5 stars hands down.

Unfortunately, the game has some negatives. The main one being the mini-games. They don't work the way they should, and are overall ineffective. There's one where you dodge charging bulls, but the wii-motes aren't sensitive enough to pick up my movements of "dodging" when I hold them the way the game tells me to. The Jump rope game doesn't work well either. I have tried it with the wii Balance Board and without--no success. The only success I had with mini-games is the ninja one where you use swords to chop bamboo (and giant pencils), but there's only so much fun to be had in that.

The personal trainer feature has been a flop in my opinion because they always try to mix the mini-games into the workout (which, as I noted, are worthless and a waste of my time). Also, once the personal trainer assigns a workout, I haven't seen that there is any way to tell them you don't want to do that workout.

So how have I been playing the game? I skip the mini-games all together, and I go to the "my workout" option and then to "create workout". I make my own custom workouts that are combos of latin dances and/or cardio boxing. At the beginning I created workouts that were more on the beginner level, and now I have a pretty good set of custom workouts personally designed by me! I use take advantage of the ability to use 2 wii-motes, and I generally burn 400 calories per workout now, though when I started I had shorter workouts that burned less calories. It's great because you can save these custom workouts, and return to them or modify them whenever you want.

The menus aren't 100% intuitive. I had to search around to find a record of my total calories burned, but once I played around and looked through all the menus, I found that I can see my progress by clicking on the days of the calendar. I can also earn new outfits for my avatar, which isn't the most exciting thing since the avatar isn't shown during the cardio workouts, but it is still neat for me to see what new piece of clothing I have earned. I also like that after a workout, the game will show you a piece of food to correlate the number of calories burned...for instance around 410 calories shows you that you burned a serving of Apple Pie.

I like that the view through the gym windows is different from day to day. Sometimes it's Sydney, Australia, the pyramids of Egypt, Venice Beach...it's a nice little touch.

When I first tried a new routine, I was tripping over my feet, but eventually I got the hang of the moves, and the more I played the smoother it went. I'm not the most talented dancer in the world, but I just keep moving since that is the goal. :-) Another thing is that in a couple of workouts the instructor calls out the wrong side of the body (left when it should be right), but this doesn't happen too often, and if you are watching the screen you can figure out which way to mirror them.

The wii-motes aren't perfect at getting all the movements, but usually they are pretty good at picking them up. I try not to worry about it too much since my goal is just to have fun while burning calories.

Finally, I would like a way to download more songs and routines because I like to keep things fresh. I'm being cursed by these catchy songs getting stuck in my head for the rest of the day after my workout! haha At least I don't hate any of the songs.

So...although this game has its faults, in the end when I factor the price, fun, and effectiveness (losing 12 pounds in 1 month with no diet changes), it's still a winner.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2010 1:43:48 PM PST
Jay Em says:
Thanks for the inspiration, I just found this on sale and haven't tried it yet. I have a couple of questions about your 12 pound weight loss:
1) How many days/week did you do the workouts?
2) How long did you work out each time?
Thank you and I look forward to your response!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 5:50:18 AM PST
M. Jellison says:
Thanks for the questions!
At first I did workouts that were about 25-35 minutes about 3-4 days out of the first week. After that I began looking forward to the game more and more and was getting better at the dances, so I started doing about 40-50 minute workouts the next 3 weeks and I did those about 5 days of the week. Just this week I created an hour long workout, which was great for when I had a little extra energy, but then I had a day where i was tired, and I did a 25 minute workout to give myself a break.
Overall I had about 33 pounds I wanted to lose when I started. I could go for 50 and not be underweight, but I like to keep a little padding on me. I imagine the next 12 pounds may not go as quickly, but I'm just happy to have fun while I get some exercise.
Good luck with the game!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›