Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag., November 13, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 2595LMT 5-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I recently upgraded from an older Garmin to this unit, and while it clearly is improved in some areas, the method of finding addresses leaves LOTS to be desired. In the older unit I could easily change the state, and then enter number, street, and city. Very easy. In this new unit you enter a number, then the street, and then wait. And wait. And wait. Until it finally shows a scrollable list of results for your region which you then need to tediously scroll through to find the combination of street and city you are looking for. Horrible. Yes, you can find a city first, but even that adds lots more steps than the older unit! Why did they change a system that worked so well? Try finding an address on "Main" street and see how long it takes you!

On the plus side, sattelite aquisition is much quicker. You have a choice of routes after you (finally) find your destination, the map and unit are, for the most part, responsive. There's lots of options for map details, the voice volume is plenty loud, and the built-in database is comprehensive. The 5" touch screen displays a nice image, and is NOT reflective so it's easier to see, unlike a competitor I returned that had a glossy screen that was impossible to see in daylight due to reflections. The mount is not a powered mount, but works well. It's a standard Garmin mount. Overall, the unit does what it's supposed to do, and it does it very well. My only (and big) complaint is the new method of finding destinations. I'd sure love the option of using the old system.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2012 6:37:52 AM PDT
And what about the no-longer available option of "Favorites"? It's GONE! I relied on that very heavily in the past. At least I cannot find it --- and I've spent a lot of time looking. And that brings me to another beef, why is there no manual with this unit????

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 4:15:32 PM PDT
TomO says:
I don't know older Garmin's - but I do know that there is a "Saved" locations that you can use.
Page 16 of the manual describes adding a location to "Saved"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 10:49:07 AM PDT
Scuba Steve says:
Favorites are now available under the "Saved" option on the "Where to" menu. Look for the heart icon on the right-side of the screen.

And yes, the lack of an included manual is quite lame. It's available online...and I read mine cover-to-cover after downloading it...and actually learned a couple of things that were not obvious.

I suppose that it's somewhat of a commentary on the fact that the average consumer won't be bothered to read it...so Garmin has decided to save a couple of dollars on each unit. I also suppose that you could say that if the device's UI is intuitive, you won't need one...but there are definitely some functions on this device that are not intuitive...and/or that have changed since prior Nuvis.

e.g., want to see the satellite reception screen? On former Nuvis you just clicked the reception bars. Now you must click on those bars and hold for three seconds. I had no idea until I read the manual.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 10:59:55 AM PDT
Thanks Scuba Steve! I'll be getting that manual...and reading it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 11:40:52 AM PDT
Scuba Steve says:
Glad to help! This is the link:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 8:04:20 PM PDT
S. Smith says:
Select 'Where To', then click on 'Saved'

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 8:05:22 PM PDT
S. Smith says:
Oh yeah, and all the manuals are available in PDF format at Garmin.com under the Support section.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012 9:13:14 AM PDT
Xanadu West says:
Manuals take months to produce and are more costly than you might think (I've created many manuals in the past). Even the (usually quite thick) manual means larger and heavier packaging... distribution costs rise, etc. Multiply this by thousands of units and these added expenses takes away the ability for the company's CEO to throw lavish toga parties by his new indoor/outdoor heated swimming pool. You know, the one right beside his 5-car garage filled with Mercedes' and Maserati's etc. Greed is good for them, bad for the rest of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012 9:18:10 AM PDT
Since commenting on this Garmin model, I've since returned it. It was such a hassle entering addresses that I felt like throwing it out the window. Garmin, GO BACK to the traditional way of entering addresses. I had a "Main Street" address that took forever to find with your blasted "selection" of possibilities. Get RID of the that feature. Please!

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 5:28:32 PM PDT
I have posted nice comments on this unit and to be honest after 8 months of use I look bace to the two lower cost ans less bells and whistles ones and finding "Main ST" as you say was a piece of cake. If I am not sure of an address but know the town name, I just fake it and put in 10 Main Street. I get not found so I alter the number..Not good, Now I remove ths number entirely and try that. I will have to admit that you are correct on this point. I was Military trained and we used only Garmin and I will only use Garmin as they have so many wonderful features. My Favorite to show new users is WHERE AM I..? This is a literal life saver. Imagine Uncle Harry is having chest pains and you are in Oskosh, Never Never VIlle. You press where am I and in a moment you have exactly where you are on the earth in coordinates, street intersection nearby and nearest house number. You have on the other half of the screen to your right, the nearest medical facalities with or without an ER. The nearest police stations and fuel locations. You can have help on the way to you with a phone call to the cops or you can drive to a hospital. The split screen with the intersection on a major highway looks exasctly like the real world and you cannot screw up getting off at your exit. There is also the wonderful lane assist for big roads and you will see a box in the upper left corner with 4 arrows on a four lane road. Three will be grayed out and the one you belong in is stark white. The voice directions are great and the distance to your turn may start at 1,9 miles ahead turn onto Smith Street. Then in tenths of a mile and finally in footage 500' down to 20'..! Nobody can be DUMB ENOUGH to get lost with the Garmis Nuvi Syatem and I do love my Nuvi 2555LMT with traffic alerts near big citys which is not where I live. ONEOWL
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›