3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars, June 1, 2010
This review is from: First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, Book 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
I won this ARC in a contest and I was just thrilled to read it. That was a near heart-attack moment for me. I'm a huge Jeaniene Frost fan. I devoured all her previous book in the Night Huntress series. She is on my autobuy list and this book didn't change that.

First Drop of Crimson is the first book in Ms. Frost's spinoff series, the Nighthuntress World. We will meet secondary characters of the Cat & Bones books again in this series and I'm so curious about that. One of the things that make Ms. Frost's books so special to me are her wonderful characters and I can't wait to learn more about them.

This book is story of Spade and Denise. Okay I have to admit one thing first: Denise wasn't one of favorite characters through the whole series and that didn't change while reading this book. I know that she lived through hell not only because of Randy's death but she never reached my heart as the other characters did.

Denise is still convinced to leave the supernatural world behind. She wants to live a normal life without horrible deaths and gruesome monsters. She hates that the vampires think about humans only as replaceable property. She only sees the bad sides of this society and to be honest I can totally understand that but with the time she should learn to see the good in the vampires around her too. She always complains about being degraded for being human but after all she does the same with the vampires- a hard case of hypocrisy in my eyes. She met good vampires, Bones and Cat for example but she still see them all as the bad guys. After she gets in trouble with this demon she has to depend on Spade for the survival of her family and her own. She gets attracted to Spade and I can't blame her for that, I would be putty in his hands for sure, but she still can't stop her own prejudices. That annoyed me through the whole book. Don't get me wrong Denise is a nice character with good morals and quite an attitude but she doesn't reach my expectations.

Spade is a real prick at the start. At the beginning of the book I thought: "That can be fun. I don't like heroine and the hero. Just great!" But Spade only needed a few pages to sneak into my heart. He had a horrible incident with a human he cared for and her death in his past. After this event he swore to himself that he will never get emotionally attached to one again. When he realizes that there is no way around being in love with Denise he tries to do everything in his power to save her and win her heart. The latter includes for him to turn her into a vampire and as you can imagine that is a thing Denise won't be so fond of.

The chemistry between these two is sizzling. They need a bit time to get going but OMG the wait is worth it. It's nothing like chapter 32 but damn near.

Quote Denise:
"If this is dying, Denise thought, I highly recommend it."

I so agreed with that!

As in all of Ms. Frosts book we have witty comments and snarky remarks in this books too. They made me laugh out loud more than ones.

Quote: Denise to Spade:

"Don't you 'Denise' me," she snapped. "I don't care how old, powerful, or strong you are. If you ever do something like that again, I'll stab you in the heart. Son of a bitch, I can't believe you throw me out of a plane."

As you can see the book is full of action and the story sucked me in from the start. I couldn't put this book down and was so frustrated as I had too.

One tiny thing I noticed: The name of the bad guy is Raum- in German that means room. Really confusing for me but probably not for the rest of you. LOL

I recommend this book to everyone who read the Nighthuntress books. I really think it would be better to read the other books before starting this one cuz it relates to many events of the previous books.
First Drop of Crimson is a great addition to this world and I can't wait to get the next spinoff.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]