4.0 out of 5 stars Nice display but don't waste your money for the touch screen model, March 31, 2011
This review is from: Mimo 720S USB Powered Slide-out 7" Touch Screen Monitor (Electronics)
I've had this display for quite a while and I have very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I really like the display, it has decent resolution and I think it looks very good. I love the clamshell feature since it means I can drop it into my laptop bag without having to worry about the screen getting damaged.

The touch screen is another story. When running under WinXP 32 bit I found that about 1 in 4 boots the touch screen would work. The calibration sofware was next to useless though because, as one other reviewer noted, it scales the calibration screen incorrectly so you have to guess where touch targets 2 - 4 are. I was able to get it mostly calibrated but never quite as well as I'd like just by guessing where the target should be. Even worse, the one target it does show is not in the right location - you have to touch between the target and the corner to calibrate it right.

Then I got a Windows 7 64-bit laptop. Much to my delight the calibration screen scaled correctly and I was able to properly calibrate the screen. Unfortunately over time I've found that the touch screen drivers are unreliable under Windows 7 as well. For a while the touch screen would work about 1 in 4 boots then it quit working entirely but I could get it working again by reinstalling the driver - required every time I rebooted. Now it works after every boot but it will only control the cursor on the main screen, I can't get it to let me assign it to the actual touch screen monitor. That means when I touch the screen it moves the mouse on my primary monitor. I suppose that would be handy for some people but my primary monitor is a multi-touch so it's the last feature I need. The drivers won't let me select anything except the primary monitor either so I can't fix it.

I have tried writing the company multiple times and have never once received any response. If you need any sort of support you're out of luck.

My advice is to buy the non-touch-screen model and save yourself some money. The touch screen was nice when it worked but it's incredibly unreliable so it's not worth the extra expense.

Update March 2013:
A month or so ago I noticed that the touchscreen was working under Windows 7. I never calibrated it or did anything to try to correct the problem but it just started working. Perhaps there was a Windows update that I didn't notice but whatever happened I'm happy with it.

I also tested it under Windows 8 and discovered that it works fine once I downloaded and installed the touchscreen drivers, rebooted and calibrated the touchscreen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2012 8:54:13 AM PDT
Guru Kast says:
Hi any update on this? I have a touch stylus and a touch (large monitor) and win 7 itself lets you map what screen it corresponds too if i remember correctly..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 9:01:36 AM PDT
Steve H. says:
No. In fact it's gotten worse for me. In trying to fix it so it maps right I have somehow mapped the touchscreen to upper left corner (about 0.24" by 0.75") of my main monitor and I can't get it to unmap that no matter what I try. Their support is completely non-responsive and, while it's been a while since I checked, there haven't been any driver updates. You won't find me buying anything with a touch screen from them likely ever again. On the other hand, as a non-touch display it works very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 7:13:33 AM PDT
Andre C. Liu says:
Hi Steve -

If you email info@mimomonitors.com for support, you'll get a quick response.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 9:00:30 AM PDT
Steve H. says:
I never tried that email address, I tried a couple more I found associated with the monitors and never got a response. Oddly enough though, about a month or so ago the problem corrected itself. I didn't do anything at all to set up the touchscreen or calibrate it and I noticed that it was working again and placing the cursor near where it should be. It needs to be calibrated but I'm a little hesitant to try for fear that it's going to break it again and since it's in a semi-working state right now I don't want to risk it going back to broken. If they actually respond to email at that address then maybe it's worth a try and I'll just ask them for help if it doesn't work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›