4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I expected Inheritance to be an amazing book. I loved the previous three books in the series.

Unfortunately, Inheritance fell a little flat.

The first sixty percent of the book was interesting but not very entertaining. We did learn some neat stuff during it, but it almost felt as though the author was getting a little tired of the series and just wanted to get the final book out of the way. The next ten percent of the book was actually interesting and entertaining. It was the actual climax of the book, after all.

Unfortunately, the last thirty percent of the book was not very good at all. It was clearly an attempt to wrap the story and the plotlines up, but it was not executed very well. It's to be expected from a somewhat young author who was just wrapping up his first series, however.

To be honest, I'm likely underestimating the quality of the last part of the book because I was disappointed with how it was wrapped up. I kept disagreeing with how the author did things. When you invest time and emotions in characters, you want them to get what they deserve, but I feel that only the villian got what he deserved.

All in all, I don't think this was the book that I was looking forward to for the last two years, but I'd still call it a good book.

As a warning to parents and younger readers, I recommend that you exercise caution with this book. There is implied torture in it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2011 8:23:27 PM PST
Libster2009 says:
I agree with you with that the book seemed like it was quickly written and just shoved over to the editor.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 7:54:23 PM PST
Mr. J. Doe says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 7:56:31 PM PST
I did not put spoilers in my review. I hinted at things, but there were no spoilers in it at all.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 5:17:46 PM PST
TiffieD says:
I agree completely with your assessment of this book. I loved the series and I also take into account that Paolioni is a young author. I have wished for a better wrap up countless times myself. Also I did not find any spoilers in this review. 0

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 9:38:37 PM PST
Mrs. P says:
I agree...awesome series...disappointing finale...too bad.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:29:59 PM PST
L. Ford says:
I agree that this was a good book overall, and I'm rather disappointed in the final bit as well. It seems to me that Paolini was trying too hard NOT to write a clichéd happy ending. Don't get me wrong; I wasn't hoping for some perfectly idealized, Stephenie Meyer-esque "happily ever after." I commend Paolini for not wanting that, however, I feel that he went too far in the other direction. That said, I'm not wholly convinced that the chosen ending was the best way to wrap up the story without appearing overly predictable. Suzanne Collins did a better job of balancing the "yeah this situation sucks because it's a war" and the "everyone gets what they deserve" in her finale, Mockingjay, of The Hunger Games trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:53:19 AM PST
J. Rikkers says:
I am still debating whether to buy and read this. But, from most of the reviews I am reading-- while trying to avoid spoilers-- it sounds like the editing portion of the process could have been more rigorous.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 12:55:31 AM PST
I find that many things were predictable and that the author tried very hard to make a surprising end while trying to please everyone. I'm not really sure it worked but I think he did the best that he could even if I feel the story stretched for too long and ruined the quality of the beginning. After so many years waiting, it was a bit disappointing but I was glad to say goodbye to the characters. Some of the mysteries still remain though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 4:51:42 AM PST
SnapCase says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 8:16:11 AM PST
We're ignoring the fact that the villian is always defeated in these kinds of books, are we?

If we're ignoring the standard of pretty much all fantasy fiction, then yes, I suppose that could be considered a spoiler.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (2,658 customer reviews)
 (1,505)