4.0 out of 5 stars Great if all you want is an extremely basic camera., July 15, 2013
This review is from: Samsung ST150F 16.2MP Smart WiFi Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 3.0" LCD Screen (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I give this camera 4 stars because if all you're looking for is a basic, literally point and shoot camera. Look no further, this may be it.

What I was looking for:

- something very slim that I could put in my pocket as I do my smartphone
- great picture quality
- decent optical zoom
- HD video recording

It met and/or exceeded those areas.

Pros:

- This thing is tiny. Just a tad bit thicker than an iPhone
- Great pictures when you have adequate light
- Decent flash for low light photos
- WIFI + BONUSES. You can read the specs but this one thing is cool so I have to mention. You can install an app on your iPhone or Android device that allows you to use your phones screen as the display for the camera to take pictures. Some may say this is useless, but it basically allows for remote control of the camera. I found it very handy.
- Battery lasted an entire day of picture taking at Disney
- Can snap pictures of the kids and get a clear shot even when they are not perfectly still.

Cons:
- Other than the (Smart) auto mode, this camera is seriously lacking in advanced manual controls. You can't change the aperture and such. You can change the shutter speed in a "Night" mode, but the lowest you can do it is 1 second. I understand in night you may want a longer shutter delay, but what if I wanted the shutter to operate faster? No dice.
- Menu navigation isn't ideal. For a basic camera there shouldn't be a need to access certain features under then home > settings button and option, then have to access similar options under the menu button and sub menus. Options are too scattered.
- Low light pictures are not great without flash. I compared this to my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 and in every situation the iPhone 5 out performed it.
- Continuing on with the feedback about shutter speed. Pictures can easily get blurred if say you were on a slow moving ride or tour and trying to snap a picture. Anti shake didn't help with that.

I returned it mainly for the limited manual controls. I'm not a basic user. If you are happy not changing the settings and don't take picture while in any kind of motion you'll be happy and it does give you good pictures.

I mainly want a DSLR and something small and expensive to compliment it when I travel light on a day to day. I returned it as it doesn't work for me, but I still think it's a great camera for many. It was $99 when I got it at best buy, it was also $99 on Amazon at the time. At the moment it's $84 on Amazon. As the price decreases this camera becomes more and more attractive.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2014 2:16:43 PM PST
While your review was helpful, I think it's interesting that you're looking for DSLR quality in a point and shoot camera. I have a Canon 5D Mark-II which does not have an on-board flash. Therefore, in low-light situations, even a DSLR may not perform the way that one would expect. Ultimately to get the "sleek and crisp" look that you see in magazines, or from expert photographers, you have to either be in an area with good lighting, or create your own light. I suppose you already know this, but the critique "low light pictures are not great without flash", does not only apply to this camera but many high-end DSLR's as well. I think what I would like to know more importantly is whether this camera performs well with the flash when the subject is in motion (i.e. does it take good photos of a performer during a concert/live event or will the picture blur easily -- keeping in mind that stage lights are the primary light source in arenas, so that combined with a flash should be adequate light for a good point and shoot camera).

Still, your review was very helpful, and thanks so much for you input. I'm looking for a point-and-shoot that will work well even when the subject is in motion. And while I have a Samsung S3, the camera does not do well with motion, like at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2014 3:59:08 AM PST
S. Williams says:
First to answer your question. No, this camera does not take good pictures when the subject is in motion. Unless your perfectly subject is still with flash 9/10 there was blur in my brief experience.

I ended up getting the Canon T3i a few days after returning this one and have been very happy. I wasn't looking for DSLR quality. Just as I said at the end. Something small to compliment my DSLR with a decent set of options.

As far as low light. The pictures were grainy and usually blurry. By comparison, my now iPhone 5S takes fine low light pictures as did my iphone 5 prior in the same locations. The ISO was just bumped up too high and shutter speed to slow. The smart settings just didn't produce decent quality.

I agree a DSLR isn't always great in low light. That's a different story so I'll be brief. With my now 50mm 1.8 and adjusting settings, low light is usually not a problem. For you with the 5D and even higher ISO, even less of a problem. Moral is with a DSLR at least you can provide your own solution. This camera is not mean to be a DSLR replacement though so I don't want to compare the two.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›