105 of 124 people found the following review helpful
Great if all you want is an extremely basic camera.
, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Samsung ST150F 16.2MP Smart WiFi Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 3.0" LCD Screen (Black) (Electronics)
I give this camera 4 stars because if all you're looking for is a basic, literally point and shoot camera. Look no further, this may be it.
What I was looking for:
- something very slim that I could put in my pocket as I do my smartphone
- great picture quality
- decent optical zoom
- HD video recording
It met and/or exceeded those areas.
- This thing is tiny. Just a tad bit thicker than an iPhone
- Great pictures when you have adequate light
- Decent flash for low light photos
- WIFI + BONUSES. You can read the specs but this one thing is cool so I have to mention. You can install an app on your iPhone or Android device that allows you to use your phones screen as the display for the camera to take pictures. Some may say this is useless, but it basically allows for remote control of the camera. I found it very handy.
- Battery lasted an entire day of picture taking at Disney
- Can snap pictures of the kids and get a clear shot even when they are not perfectly still.
- Other than the (Smart) auto mode, this camera is seriously lacking in advanced manual controls. You can't change the aperture and such. You can change the shutter speed in a "Night" mode, but the lowest you can do it is 1 second. I understand in night you may want a longer shutter delay, but what if I wanted the shutter to operate faster? No dice.
- Menu navigation isn't ideal. For a basic camera there shouldn't be a need to access certain features under then home > settings button and option, then have to access similar options under the menu button and sub menus. Options are too scattered.
- Low light pictures are not great without flash. I compared this to my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 and in every situation the iPhone 5 out performed it.
- Continuing on with the feedback about shutter speed. Pictures can easily get blurred if say you were on a slow moving ride or tour and trying to snap a picture. Anti shake didn't help with that.
I returned it mainly for the limited manual controls. I'm not a basic user. If you are happy not changing the settings and don't take picture while in any kind of motion you'll be happy and it does give you good pictures.
I mainly want a DSLR and something small and expensive to compliment it when I travel light on a day to day. I returned it as it doesn't work for me, but I still think it's a great camera for many. It was $99 when I got it at best buy, it was also $99 on Amazon at the time. At the moment it's $84 on Amazon. As the price decreases this camera becomes more and more attractive.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?