3.0 out of 5 stars Urban gardening, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Apartment Gardening: Plants, Projects, and Recipes for Growing Food in Your Urban Home (Paperback)
Nice little starter book with some unique concepts. I was hoping for more on garden containers and a little less recipes, but it would help new growers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2011 6:54:13 PM PDT
Auntie Claus says:
Good to know. I don't need cooking recipes either. I just need help keeping my plants alive and a lot of help making them productive. I'd like to find an apartment-focused book that discusses container gardening and how I can use my kitchen scraps to make plant food (if that's possible) since composting in an apartment is not really a possibility (I sometimes look at indoor composters; if the price tag isn't enough to turn me off, the bad reviews always are). Companion planting. Also nice would be notes on WHAT to grow, since space is at a premium. If I made my own guess, I'd say a lot of herbs and some tomatoes would be the most practical.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 7:08:53 AM PDT
Hello,

Thank you for your thoughts on Apartment Gardening. I felt it was important to include at least one recipe for all of the plants noted, as they are not the most commonly suggested vegetables for containers.

Apartment Gardening does have a detailed list of what to grow, the right container to grow it in and how best to tend for an edible container garden. Additionally, there is a reasonable portion dedicated to turning your kitchen scrap into compost! And also, of course there are notes about keeping plants alive and productive - the entire book is geared toward productivity. And for the record...........I don't recommend growing tomatoes!

All best,
amy pennington

Posted on May 11, 2011 4:51:33 AM PDT
getwily says:
I agree that this book is more of an overall, starter book. I would actually highly recommend The Indoor Gardening Bible by Becky Sheldon. I found it to be really detailed but easy to follow, with information about selecting containers, maximizing space, maximizing lighting vertical gardening, the best vegetable varieties to grow indoors, the best type of soil to use, all the different types of indoor artificial lighting options, etc. Really really detailed. It is only for indoor vegetable (and fruit) gardening, however, not patio or balcony gardening. If you are living in an apartment and want to start an indoor vegetable garden, it's definitely the best guide to get. I think it´s only sold online at www. containergardeningcenter .com (no spaces). Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 6:58:07 PM PDT
The title of the book says it all...it says what's in the book, and you can flip through it to see what you're getting before you buy it, if you are at a book store, that is.
There are a lot of books out there on container gardening, just make sure when you buy one, that you find out before hand if the book is for growing in your area. I suppose it shouldn't matter too much about area, sunshine etc. if you are growing indoors though! Ha.
Good Luck!
Karen from Calgary

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 7:05:25 PM PDT
Way to go, Amy! Your book seems just fine to me; I liked it. I container garden on my balcony, here in Calgary, but last year we didn't see the sun for the rain, and so far this year, it's been cold from the wind and rainy wet. UGH! We have such long winters, and now this crappy weather - I think I'll move down to Seattle. Maybe I can work along side of you, learn some tips.
Karen in Calgary

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 12:14:35 PM PDT
@Karen, grow Kale or chinese vegetables, they are though ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:11:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 9:11:59 PM PDT
Islem Tav says:
getwily, I went to that website you listed for the book and it seems a bit shady to me. I tried to sign up for their newsletter and it says that the list is no longer active. There are no pictures or samples of anything... very little articles to read, at least to get an idea about the quality of information provided... all I saw was the annoying informercial marketing/selling scheme that goes on and on...

Everyone, beware!