1.0 out of 5 stars Why?, April 18, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Empire: Total War - PC (DVD-ROM)
I started with TotalWar back with Shogun, did Medevil 1, Rome, and the new Medevil. I look forward to the new TotalWar Game every few years and I always buy a new computer at that time just to play the game. I did this for Shogun, Rome and recently for Medevil. This should tell you that I am a rabid fan.

I have been looking forward to Empire TotalWar for a few years. As much or more than I was waiting for Rome. BUT..........I hate to say this, and I can't believe I am going to write this, DO NOT BUY this game!!!!!!!!!!!

It is terrible. The worst part is, I do not have internet except at work. I do not want it at home. But if you do not have internet, you cannot play this game! You cannot even start the game. I like TotalWar game as I can take it with me anywhere, and play it on my laptop at my leisure. On a plane, train, or other. To download the damn game took me 9 hours!

Creative Assembly what the heck is wrong with you? Do not realize that a large portion of your audience is not the online gaming type? Many of us are old fashioned wargammer types that just want to buy the game and never see you again? I am 39 and not at all unfamiliar with technology but this is terrible.

The next issue....the bugs! The AI is terrible! How hard is it to beat an opponent that shoots its cannons into the backs of its own troops, or in a seige fires cannons to knock down its own walls? The thing that makes a game boring is when it is easy to win.

Creative Assembly, I am sad to say, but my 6+ year relationship, and automatic loyalty with you, to where I would buy every new TW game you release has now ended. It is sad, as I was hoping you would follow up this effort with a TW based on the Victorian Age. But I have no confidence you can pull off any new endeavors and that I won't have wasted $[...] on a game that will not work.

What is wrong with you? How can you destroy such a loyal fan base?

Richard

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2009 5:03:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2009 5:03:36 PM PDT
Ray McC says:
Thanks for the review. I really relate, I've been playing since Shogun and am 42. I even have a new PC in the box and was hoping to free up some time to enjoy the new PC and the latest Total War.

I have not bought it due to reviews like yours and I held off a little at release to make sure I could free up some time. But then when I saw the first reviews.....

I very occasionally play online with my "old" pals but we are not adrenaline gamers and are now scattered across the country and abroad. There has got to be a market for decent graphics strategy games with good options for single and multiplayer. Some of my friends played previous versions on their laptops and so forth, on trains, planes. etc, we are simply that age. So for us it's not so much price but quality that counts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2009 9:01:53 AM PDT
Very good comment, very true and insightful. I think this game should serve for the next few years as a textbook example in business schools of how a company can utterly annihilate a loyal fanbase with a single product. I just hope that people at CA read these reviews and take your words and the words of other raters to heart.

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 9:38:06 AM PDT
DocMo says:
I'm with you. I'm 36, have been a gamer since the 2600 and am more about deep level experience than bells and whistles. I remember loading games from tape on the early home pc's and then playing until finished, only to have to load the next game from tape. lol. I like playing and not having to be connected to the internet. I like having flexibility. If I misplace the disk (as I did with my Galactic Civilizations II) I like being able to still play the game. (Actually, my wife misplaced the disk as I had it in her laptop so that I could load and play when we went on vacation.) Stardock is a company that does a really good job with this process. I enjoy their strategy games as well. Anyway, just wanted to say that I can totally relate to your experience.

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 6:27:07 AM PDT
C P says:

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:46:27 AM PST
I am 48 and I have exactly the same experience, anger and frustration like you. Unfortunately the last game of TW was MII. And that "is the bottomline". Too Bad
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.7 out of 5 stars (473 customer reviews)

$19.99 $11.90