4.0 out of 5 stars Good Receiver, no Manual, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2- Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
First, my only major complaint, and the reason for only 4 stars. There is no printed manual supplied with this receiver. All you get is a quick start guide that's a few pages long, enough to get you running, but sorely lacking in any real information. I posted a URL to the user manual I found in the comments.

The product pictures are accurate, and the speaker connections in the back fit common banana plugs perfectly. Included accessories are a remote (with batteries), a microphone for the automatic speaker configuration (haven't tried this since my rear speakers aren't placed yet), and AM and FM antennas. The AM antenna is cheap but works well enough. The FM antenna is just one of those little wires and it sucks. If you do any serious FM radio listening, you'll want to acquire a better antenna to use with it.

The OSD is a little primitive, but it looks decent enough and gets the job done. Pandora works well, the setup of it is easy, again the interface is a little primitive but it works, and I won't usually be using it anyway.

SOUND

I'm using this receiver with Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) and it sounds great. Full bass, detailed highs, the works. The audio is very clean at all volumes that I've tried. It has a plethora of audio settings that you can change, though I was unable to find a way to set the subwoofer frequency cutoff. I suspect that it's in there somewhere though, when I ran the Audyssey auto-configuration it definitely altered my subwoofer, so I imagine there's a way to do it manually too. Anyway, audio is subjective and depends a lot on the speakers too, suffice to say that I am quite pleased with the audio and there are no obvious deficiencies that I've found.

VIDEO

Video is great, clear and sharp. I don't have anything that needs to be upscaled, so I can't judge that functionality. I did have a problem with the component video input though. I hooked up my Wii to the component input and didn't get any video out from it. Upon doing some research, it seems the component input is quite finicky about input/output resolutions. It seems that the only way to get component input sent out via HDMI is to have it in 480i. Anything better and it doesn't go out HDMI, but only out the component outputs. Bit of a letdown, reinforces the 4 stars.

NETWORKING

The receiver has a hard wired ethernet port in it, but does not include built in wireless networking or bluetooth. You can purchase an adapter for either of these; however, you probably won't have a need for bluetooth. Onkyo has apps for both Android and iPhone that allow you to control the receiver as well as stream music to it from your device. Network setup is nearly foolproof, it's configured to use DHCP out of the box, as soon as I plugged in a network cable, it was online and working. No setup from me needed at all. Of course, you may need to make security modifications to your firewall or router depending on your setup.

ANDROID APP

I have used only the Android version, but it is an excellent companion to the receiver. The app doesn't do quite everything that the real remote does, but it does most. You can select the input source, use a directional pad for things such as changing the radio station and navigating OSD menus, change speaker levels, and, naturally, change volume. It will also stream music that's on your device to the receiver, so you probably won't have any use for bluetooth. Using the app also allows selection of network streaming options such as Pandora, vTuner, Slacker, etc. without turning on your TV. It is possible to select these using only the on-unit display, but it's not easy, you really need to use either the OSD on your TV or the app to do it effectively.

One thing to note, you'll probably have a firmware update waiting for you when you connect it to the internet. It warns you that it takes up to an hour, "HAH," I thought, "They always over estimate these things, I have fast internet, how long can it take?" Yeah, it really does take an hour. The download was fast, the flash, not so much. Don't do the firmware update until you have an hour to spare.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2012 1:03:33 AM PDT
Did you need to purchase a wireless adapter or is the wireless built in the receiver. I've also heard that this receiver has bluetooth capability is that true? Potentially you could sync your android or iphone to your receiver and other bluetooth items if it does have bluetooth. More information about your experience would be helpful of what makes this receiver stand out. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 11:07:21 AM PDT
Kevin says:
It does not have built in wireless or bluetooth, but it has a built in wired ethernet, which is what I use. You can buy wireless or bluetooth adapters. I'll update my review with some network information.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 11:09:48 AM PDT
Kevin says:
I found a user manual here: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-nr616_manual_e.pdf

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 11:03:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 11:03:56 AM PDT
Mark F says:
So how does it sound? Video processing? These are far more important than manuals that are easily obtained on the company website for free and networking/Apple/Android crap...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 11:23:35 AM PDT
Kevin says:
I haven't run any video through it yet and I just finished my speaker break-in period. I added a section on the sound to the review. Once I do some video I'll add some of that to it.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:31:23 AM PDT
I have a TX-NR808 and it automatically sets the subwoofer to the proper range on audyssey with the microphone. Perhaps your does too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 10:17:42 AM PDT
Kevin says:
I think it does, I finally ran the Audyssey setup after getting my speakers placed and it definitely affected the subwoofer. I may have overlooked the manual setting option too.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 2:29:56 PM PDT
How does the networking work? If I have an Xbox/PS3 do I have to still have an ethernet to them or does the Onkyo use its ethernet to replace those lines? If I have a separate server for video files, will the Onkyo recognize that and allow me to access those files? They are in .mp4 and .avi formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 4:28:56 PM PDT
Kevin says:
You'll still have to have ethernet to your consoles, the receiver's network link is only for itself.

It can play music and video files from a DLNA server, but it can not, as far as I can tell, directly read from a basic network drive. I'm not sure what video formats it will play this way though.

Posted on May 24, 2012 12:20:10 AM PDT
Manual (140 pages) is either available on a CD shipped with the receiver or online on the Onkyo site. If you can find Amazon and comment on the receiver, you can find the manual on the Onkyo site... :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›