Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars For me, more frustrating than fun, June 26, 2011
This review is from: God of War: Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Having never owned a PS2 and seeing the great reviews for this game I decided to purchase this collection. The graphics are pretty good but too bad they didn't remaster all the cutscenes in HD.

Anyway, the story is superb, although I didn't care too much for the story in the second one, the first one was top notch. In both games the fighting is very fun and addictive but I'm not too much of a fan of the QTEs, the fight with Zeus in part two really ticked me off.

Now what I don't like about it are the puzzles. Alot of them in both games are just so ridiculous they're not even fun. I got through the first game mostly on my own without having to look up too much stuff, but I swore to never play GoW 1 again because of that tower of blades.

It felt that GoW 2 had even more puzzles than the first. Solve a puzzle, open a gate, take two steps and then solve another puzzle. In part two I felt I was doing puzzles more than fighting so if puzzles are your thing then you'll love this. Personally I don't have the patience for some of these. Alot, especially in part two, were not that easy for me to see.

Another thing about both games that bother me is the fixed camera angles. I kept attempting to control the camera with my right joystick, like in assassins creed, which created problems especially on balancing beams :P

I will pass on God of War 3. Shame too because the game has a pretty decent storyline and i read GoW 3's story and ending and it sounds great. But all the frustrations that the first two, especially the second one, gave me doesn't make it worth playing another one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2011 4:14:24 AM PDT
thecooLapse says:
God Of War 3 literally has like 1 puzzle and its not that hard (garden maze) so don't pass it up! I too had to look up a few solutions on Gow 1&2 especially in Gow1 where I had to use a magic cheat to get past the spike room (rage).

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 8:40:55 AM PDT
RandomJoe says:
I agree, God of War 3 really wasn't heavy on puzzles. There were like maybe 2 parts I might have to look up, but that was basically it. The challenge in the game is the combat. I think you should pick it up, or at least rent it. And with it being a Greatis Hits now, it's even more worth it since you can get it for so cheap.

God of War 3 is probably one of my favorite PS3 games. It's truly epic and has some of the best boss battles I've seen and the visuals are amazing.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 6:36:12 PM PDT
mattack says:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but did you read reviews of the games before buying it? They would tell you that there are puzzles in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 5:01:11 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
they all say there are puzzles but not that they're as frustrating as they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 11:04:14 AM PDT
E. Ortega says:
Frustrating? Really? I played through all God of War games and found the puzzles to be on the easy side. There were one or two that I was stuck on...for 5 minutes. If anything I thought the puzzles were just there for the heck of it since they were so simple...and I played these as they came out on the PS2 also so I was MUCH younger and not as experienced in gaming. YOU, my friend, would never survive a Zelda game as that franchise lives and breathes puzzles.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 3:08:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 3:10:11 PM PST
I can definitely see your point. I played GoW 1 and 2 a few years ago, when I was a PC gamer, had just picked up a PS2, and hadn't ever seen puzzle gameplay on consoles, and it frustrated me to no end sometimes. God of War's pretty typical approach to finding a thing that connects with another thing broke up the tension considerably. So it will bug you if you don't usually play platformers with puzzles. The trick is just to find everything in the environment that you can interact with, see where the camera is trying to point you, and work through all possible solutions. It's always simpler than it seems at first, and once you've played a few of these puzzles, you'll play them all in a bunch of other platformers with just slight variation. God of War just doesn't do a very good job of visually telling you what to use, which I guess is part of the challenge.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 7:37:26 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
Off the top of my head, the room in God of War 1 where you had to push the crate around before the spikes came up from the ground, a room where you have to kill all of the enemies before the floor opens up (where the enemies constantly dodge your attacks) and the spinning sword tower in hell are INCREDIBLY frustrating.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›