Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars "There's just a little anti-American sentiment running around, but I think we can-" *gets shot by an arrow*, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Gymkata (DVD)
Ah, "Gymkata." For how many years had I heard about this film before actually watching it for myself? Obviously too many, since the movie didn't match my growing expectations. As a guy who doesn't let the opinions of (many) people sway his decisions of what to watch, I disregarded the critiques and LOLs of folks who've bashed this movie, believing that even if the film was incredibly goofy, it might sate me with some nice action scenes like No Retreat, No Surrender did. Sadly, this was not the case: "Gymkata" is merely plain goofy, as opposed to incredibly goofy, and its action content - despite being unusual - doesn't really hit the spot. Succinctly, it's not nearly as entertaining as I had hoped for.

The story: champion gymnast Jonathan Cabot (real-life gymnastics champ Kurt Thomas) is selected by the US government to act as their entry to a deadly contest organized by the tiny, violent monarchy-nation of Parmistan to decide which country will have rights to its strategic missile defense site.

The movie actually draws on the actual, controversial "Star Wars" missile defense system from the 1980s as a major plot point, so one's personal politics and opinion of history might weigh in to your impression of the movie. Me, I'm just disappointed that the producers went with such a contrived plot to begin with: though the screenplay is loosely adapted from Dan Tyler Moore's novel about an isolated nation subjecting outsiders to grisly contests, the film's theatrical trailer focuses almost entirely on its namesake - the gymnastics-karate hybrid martial art gymkata (not actually mentioned by name in the movie). This concept is interesting enough, if you ask me, and director Robert Clouse's best-known picture - Enter the Dragon - proves that he works best with simple storylines. The movie rushes through both character and story development to get to its forced premise of a pseudo-medieval country that its coherency suffers: there's just too much story here for a 90-minute feature, and a lot of its subsequent weirdness is the result of minimal or nonexistent exposition.

I'm not sure what to make of Kurt Thomas. On one hand, he's not a great actor and clearly no martial artist, but I'm nevertheless disappointed by the critical bashing the film received: along with his nomination for a Razzie Award, this probably deterred him from pursuing many more movie roles, despite what I perceive as promising potential. His athleticism is unquestionable, and even though some of the physical setups we see here are crude and heavy-handed, the gratuitous flipping and acrobatic moves foreshadow the style of action that future Hong Kong and Thai pictures would bring to cinema. More disappointingly, the presence of legitimate martial arts movie stars is, for the most part, wasted: Tadashi Yamashita (American Ninja) and John Barrett (American Kickboxer) don't fight at all, and Hong Kong veterans Conan Lee (Tiger on Beat) and Richard Norton (City Hunter) only get one so-so fight apiece. The obstacles encountered in the game don't really offer themselves to great action...although I have to admit that the "Village of the Crazies" scene is effectively creepy and exciting. Video game fans, don't you think that Resident Evil 4 got a few ideas from this sequence?

The movie's sense of morality - encapsulated by the treachery of Richard Norton's character against the ruler of the kingdom (Buck Kartalian, Planet of the Apes) - is severely flawed, but it adds to the movie's sizeable B-movie charm. I really don't know whether Robert Clouse purposely sought out increasingly goofy projects like this after his work with Bruce Lee or just got (un)lucky, but when it comes to weirdness, this is definitely one of his weirdest. "Gymkata" isn't awful by B-movie standards but it's also not great, for better or worse. It'd be great to see an updated version of this with fight choreography that was more sure of itself, but beyond that, I'm glad I settled for a rental with this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2012 7:45:04 AM PDT
Mantis says:
Excellent review! This has always been in a category of its own. While the fights aren't particularly good, some of the other action is and I LOVE the set design. As a fan of old horror films, I am an absolute sucker for foggy landscape. Doesn't matter what it is: forest, mountains, villages. This is the only martial arts film I've seen that attempts to utilize such location. I saw it once as a kid and thought it was okay, but when I watched it again, a handful of years ago, I enjoyed it quite a bit more and appreciated some of the things it tried to do. Honestly, if it were handled well, I'd be all for a remake of it.

I forgot that Robert Clouse directed this. I haven't seen too many good martial arts films from him apart from "Enter the Dragon". I remember liking "The Big Brawl" (aka "Battle Creek Brawl") okay. Though I had similar sentimentality for "Black Belt Jones", which I recently re-watched and it wasn't NEARLY as good as I remembered it. My favorite film of Clouse's (apart from E the D, of course) is "The Ultimate Warrior", starring Yul Brynner. Post-apocalyptic, inner-city action flick that, while not a martial arts film, has quite a few fist fights. Granted, it's been a several years with that one, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 9:31:31 AM PDT
Michael says:
Haven't seen "Ultimate Warrior," but now that you mention it, I'll keep an eye out for it. Robert Clouse is one of those inconsistent directors who'll do great for a few movies and then sort of fudge others (sort of like Tarantino, in my opinion): I really liked the "China O'Brien" movies but that's about it, from what I've seen.

It's weird to remember sometimes that he actually got two Oscar nominations, and almost no one seems to know that he was completely deaf. Which I have sympathy for, but it probably didn't hurt while dealing with the dumb dialogue of "Gymkata" here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 10:29:34 AM PDT
Mantis says:
I didn't know he was deaf! Good for him! I have a bit more respect for him knowing that! I also didn't know he was ever nominated for an oscar!

In what ways do you find Tarantino inconsistent? Jackie Brown was the only one that stood out that way to me. I'm no defender of his, just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 1:18:49 PM PDT
Michael says:
It's mostly just preference with me, when it comes to that guy. I liked "Kill Bill," but I thought "Pulp Fiction" was confusing in a boring way (think Seagal's "The Foreigner") and "Inglorious Basterds" was, amazingly, too sadistic for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 1:46:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 1:48:47 PM PDT
Mantis says:
I loved "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" when they came out but would have a very hard time sitting through either of them now. I also enjoyed "Kill Bill", but ironically, not the action, though I did appreciate the two, claustrophobic one-on-ones. I can understand being turned off by some of the violence in "IG". However, it is, in my opinion, his best work.

Of the ones he wrote but didn't direct, "Natural Born Killers" is a piece of crap but "True Romance" was a favorite of mine for a long time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›