1.0 out of 5 stars Bait & Switch fraud!, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, 13.5-oz. Cans (Count of 12) (Grocery)
Where I come from "bait & switch" is called fraud.
I thought that surely by now Amazon.com would have corrected this "bait & switch" problem of offering a premium coconut milk from Thailand, but then sending an inferior "oil & water'" product from Skri Lanka, since there were lots of reviews warning about this.
I had carefully verified that what I was ordering was truly from Thailand-but it is NOT! It is from Skri Lanka, instead.
ALSO, the product I received from Skri Lanka was in the old style yellow lined (Phenol lined?) cans-the yellow kind with the white stripe down the side that theoretically products you from the metals they use to seal the can! (And I am allergic to the chemical phenol!)
The Thailand product comes in a silver colored can-I opened both products today and did the comparision side by side.
So not only is Amazon.com allowing a bait & switch to happen, they are allowing an older style (a potentially harmful style) of can to be sold.
I had to use a couple of cans for a party tonight, but I will not eat it!
I have asked for my money back and cancelled by subscription, and will buy the rich creamy Thailand coconut milk from my health food store!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2012 6:44:54 AM PDT
What is your opinion on Roland Organic Coconut milk? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:38:46 PM PDT
Lani says:
so how will we know if and when this problem is corrected?

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 6:49:54 AM PDT
Grangranny says:
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 9:49:31 PM PDT
S. C. Lykins says:
I have ordered this several times in the last year by the case and each time it was the authentic made in Thailand product.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013 9:43:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013 9:43:53 AM PDT
Amazshopper says:
me too! I called the company and they told me they used to get them from skri lanka
but they don't do that anymore. Of course it is always a good idea to check the back of the can
anyway.... Thank you to the reviewer " J. Wilson " for all the information on this product I never would of known had the reviewer not posted about it

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 10:18:30 AM PDT
Dana V. says:
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. But it does seem it's been rectified (?). Otherwise, where would one get a high quality organic BPA free coconut milk?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 2:28:09 PM PDT
R. Baron says:
Natural Value is the best coconut milk brand in my opinion and Amazon sells it. Check it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2013 2:24:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2013 2:59:31 PM PDT
E. M. Creech says:
Thanks for reporting that Amazshopper & Mr. Lynkins. I've bought 4 cases in past 21 months (spring, summer & winter) and they've all been labeled "Thailand."

I wish folks would check the dates of posts and comments before deciding on their current relevancy.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 2:52:40 PM PDT
Has the source been rectified yet? And what about Phenol lining?

AFAIK, these guys seem to be legit and given they are taking the effort to sell healthy BPA free unlike rest of the 90% in the stores, not sure what else to ask for.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 10:06:27 PM PDT
E. M. Creech says:
Last I bought was in 12-14. I was going to order in 5/14 but saw many reports that fat was less than 2" when separated. What I got in Dec was >60% fat. Fat is what you're paying for and what you want. The rest is water. This means that what you buy now has less than half the product as what you buy in winter. Demand for coconut products is high and climbing as reports of its health benefits keep climbing. For me, however, to start watering down your product to meet demand -- or to maintain profit while keeping price in control is dishonest. There should be a requirement that sellers state a minimum fat content before you order. Too bad my last can went to recycling last week. I'd like to have compared nutrition labels with a new can.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›